5.0 out of 5 stars Dem bones
Elly Griffiths books are like my guilty pleasure without the guilt; I devour them and am always left wanting more.

The House at Sea's End is the third book in the Ruth Galloway series. Ruth is a Forensic Archaeologist who lives on the Norfolk coast and examines bones for a living, sometimes having to help the police in their serious crimes unit to establish...
Published on 1 Aug 2011 by Boof

1.0 out of 5 stars Does anyone really think this is better than mediocre?
At best, I am a sporadic contributor to review forums, and when I do contribute it is almost always because I especially enjoyed the book in question. In this case, however, I'm provoked to put finger to keyboard simply because I disagree so comprehensively with those who have lavished praise upon a book which I consider to be one of the poorest crime novels I have read...
Published on 23 Mar 2011 by Stanwegian

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Brit crime novel, 10 Jan 2012
The House at Sea's End is the third in the author's Ruth Galloway series. Ruth is a forensic archaeologist, and for a fan of Patricia Cornwell and co the book description sounded right up my street. It was especially interesting that the book is set in the UK which makes a nice change for me.

In this book Ruth has just returned to work after a period of maternity leave. She is finding it hard to get the balance between work and motherhood right, and her problems are further exacerbated by having to work with D.C.I Nelson - the married father of her baby daughter Kate.

After a team of archeologists studying coastal erosion in Norfolk discover bones at the foot of a cliff Ruth is called in to advise the police. When she establishes the six skeletons are around 60 years old and that the deceased probably came from Germany the team are drawn into a wartime mystery and the secrets being kept by protective locals. As Nelson and his team investigate recent deaths begin to look less natural than they did at first glance. So who is still trying to protect a decades old secret?

I had absolutely no problem with this book standing alone, as there was enough reference back to what had happened earlier, and inferences about what had gone before, that I felt I understood the present situation the characters found themselves in. I loved Ruth. As the working mum of a toddler, the battle she is goes through wondering if she is a bad mother for trying to do both, and for not being the sort of person who wants to spend every waking moment with their offspring, was all too familiar. The situation with Nelson and his wife's interest in Kate made me squirm for her. Reading parts from his perspective I also actually managed to find some sympathy for him too, which surprised me a little. Around them are some colourful characters that give the book a real feeling of life and there were plenty of unlikely nominees for the role of murderer.

As mentioned I love this type of novel, but a lot I have read in the past are set in the US. It's always nice to read about more familiar locations and experiences etc. The small villages and bleak countryside depicted had an atmospheric feel that added nicely to the unfolding story. If I was to compare this with the work of another author it would have to be one of my favourites, Val McDermid.

The plot was a good blend of historical mystery and crime novel. As a subplot the relationship between Ruth and a visiting friend who worked together excavating mass graves in Bosnia, and the developing story what had happened some years ago while there, was also interesting. If I had any one complaint it would be that I would have liked a bit more about either the forensic archeology process or the police procedural elements included to balance the development of the various relationships and the personal lives.

I really enjoyed this book, Ruth is a character I warmed to so much and I'll definitely have to find time to go back and read the first two books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ruth Galloway is wonderful, 2 Dec 2011
This review is from: The House at Sea's End: A Ruth Galloway Investigation (Paperback)
If you are a lover of crime, this book is for you. Ruth Galloway is an archeologist and is called on to help excavate and identify the bones of six males. Their hands are tied behind their backs and it soon becomes apparent that these are the bodies of young Germans killed during the second world war.

Once the police investigation begins, several more murders take place - someone is trying to cover up the crime.

Very good - a page turner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rather psychological diagram than classical kill-thrill, 31 Jan 2011
As a swiss-german young male, I really enjoy reading well written thrillers in english language!
For example I enjoy authors like James Siegel or Simon Beckett, rather fast paced thrillers.
Elly Griffiths' Stories on the other hand are not really fast paced nor are they classical thrillers 'per se'.
Nonetheless I've read her first three books greedily - as soon as I've finished her latest book I'm already looking out for forthcoming publications by the same author..
What's so interesting for me about her books is of course the character 'Ruth' as an individual! Elly Griffith's skills of creating & shaping her characters in a very natural way are nothing but amazing!!
Therefor I'd say that at least for me her books are more psychologically themed books rather than classical thrillers but with a nice thrill-twist towards the end..

Ruth's connection with/to DCI Nelson seems to be the center of attention in her third novel and at the end of the book you even get a glimpse of how this unusual "(love) Triangle" will continue in Elly Griffiths forthcoming novel! I'm excited!:)

(Sorry to all the readers for my bad english skills..)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable series with believable characters, 8 July 2014
S. Farnaby (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
I am enjoying reading about Ruth Galloway and her friends and colleagues. They are not the best written novels in the world and the thanks at the end to the eagle-eyed proofreader irritated a bit after having spotted a couple of missed errors. But the setting of north Norfolk is interesting, the landscape bleak and the stories of the bones educate as well as intrigue me. I am already sourcing the next books in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
Really good read, great characters, now waiting for book six.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 July 2014
quick delivery/very pleased

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyed the read., 8 May 2014
Full of twists and turns. Looking forward to the next one by the author Ellie Griffiths and detective Harry Nelson.

1.0 out of 5 stars So annoying, 20 April 2014
I read the promising blurb and reviews for this one and though it might be a good read. I should have taken a look inside it first. Stay away from this book if, like me, you hate lazy authors who write in the present tense. It is such an unnatural and irritating way of telling a story. The plot may be excellent, the characters believable and interesting, but the dreadful gimmick of having everything happen in the present is irritating and tiresome. It may a terrible failing on my part but I only read the first few sentences, randomly flicked through the rest of the book, then deleted it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 22 Mar 2014
I'm enjoying the development of the Ruth and Nelson relationship. I particularly enjoyed this storyline as I've read speculation stories of Germans landing in Norfolk during the second world war by other authors. Looking forward to reading the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars House at Seas End by Elly Griffiths, an author I have never read before, recommend this., 18 Mar 2014
As a 1st time reader of the Ruth Galloway stories I have to say I enjoyed it, so much so I have order the other 2 that I have seen to purchse.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

The House at Sea's End: A Ruth Galloway Investigation
The House at Sea's End: A Ruth Galloway Investigation by Elly Griffiths (Paperback - 7 July 2011)
5.24