Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 April 2013
I started reading this book on a sunny day, imagining myself in the South of France. The 'caper' is an excellent page turner, hard to put down. Food and wine lovers will love the gastronomic references throughout the book. The book is not serious literature, but a very enjoyable story, full of excellent characters. Highly recommended in a sunny spot with a glass of Rose.
on 27 August 2013
Delightfully written, evocative of that elysian region, a laid-back soft-core crime caper. Gentle, affable and charming, it's not going to set your adrenals alight, and may be too easy-going for some. Non addictive literary opium to nod off to and dream of fragrant sunny hillsides in the south of France? I don't mind a bit of that, now and again. Enjoyable.
on 26 December 2012
I have been a fan of Peter mayle for many years, going back to "A year in Provence" all these years ago. In fact, I have bought every single book from him written since. After the "Vintage Caper", I began to have doubts... The "Marseille caper" has confirmed these doubts. A boring piece of writing with bland characters, a very thin plot and a predictable outcome! Peter, in my opinion, has reached the end of his road on the fictional side of his writing and should stick to the non-fictional side where he excels. Do not buy this book!
on 18 March 2013
Another very readable tale. I thoroughly recommend it. Do read The vintage Caper first as it will fill in a few gaps.
on 17 July 2013
I hadn't read any of Peter Mayle's books before so was interested to try this novel. I rather expected something possibly gritty, hopefully tense perhaps with maybe a few nail-biting episodes and a rousing finale. What I found was a nice tale of nice people who wore nice clothes (which were described in detail), went to nice restaurants run by nice people and ate nice food (described in exhaustive detail) and were very nice to each other. They travelled nicely to France and other nice places which were - yes - described in detail. There was a mild caper which was the rather wobbly peg on which the story hung. There were also villains, a semi-comic self-made cockney with big money, his two comic thugs (on the lines of Shakespeare's comic incompetents) and an oily Frenchman.
By half way through I was wondering what was going on. All this niceness must surely lead to a counterbalancing vicious horridness but no. The baddies got their comeuppance quite nicely and everyone finished nicely happily.
Following the above you might expect me to give this very few stars but, actually, it is well written and carries you on from page to page in a dreamy waft of niceness. So losing just one star because it is not a caper except in the sense of prancing around on some nice grass, in the sun, with a couple of friends and several glasses of fine wine (described in detail, of course). But no more Mayle for me.
on 28 July 2013
Having enjoyed the film of Mayle's 'A Good Year', I hoped I'd found a new author to enjoy. Sadly, this - my first foray - just didn't live up to the sheer fun of my expectations. A light read, but nothing more. Another reviewer commented on the 'interminable waffle about food and drink' - having ploughed through the first detailed recipe, I've decided it's just not worth plodding on. Even if the plot improves, I can see how off-putting the foodie side of things is going to be.
on 15 July 2013
Sadly, a somewhat pedestrian tale acting as a sequel to The Vintage Caper. Every meal (and, golly, don't they eat lots of them and in great detail?) is wonderful and served by drop dead gorgeous and knowledgeable staff. I would imagine this would be quite fun if you were actually in the region but, frankly, as a caper it doesn't cut the mustard.
on 31 October 2015
A very good read, just like the others Peter Mayle has written. But what's with leaving the 'u' out of colour and neighbour etc, and calling trousers 'pants' and handbags 'purses' etc. I thought he was English!
on 19 July 2013
I normally love Peter Mayle, but this book is very disappointing. The characters are not believable, having no credible background. The plotting is very lazy and predictable, even in its unbelievability. There are far too many references to food, I'm amazed that the women in it (with one exception slim and beautiful) haven't put on a stone over the course of the week covered by the plot. I hesitate to mention the stereotyping but really! Does Peter have a nanny complex? It's the only reason to introduce Perkins. Sorry, I've gone on too much....it's not good, but if you're looking for an easy read by the pool then you might be OK with it. I think Peter Mayle should stick to non fiction, he's much better at that.
on 15 July 2013
Having read his first novel and seen the film many years ago I looked forward to this offering....wrong! It was lightweight and just didn't live up to the promise, very poor....no wonder if was on a big reduction.