5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it....excelllent read on a sunny day
I started reading this book on a sunny day, imagining myself in the South of France. The 'caper' is an excellent page turner, hard to put down. Food and wine lovers will love the gastronomic references throughout the book. The book is not serious literature, but a very enjoyable story, full of excellent characters. Highly recommended in a sunny spot with a glass of Rose.
Published 21 months ago by Rhinopops

1.0 out of 5 stars At best bland
I only gave this book one star so that I could comment on it. I've not read anything by this author before, and doubt that I will again. As a writer myself, I hate to criticise fellow authors; I know the work that goes into writing a novel, and how much it hurts to see one's work pulled apart, but I only managed 45% of the book before giving up.
I admit that an...
Published 17 months ago by Mac Fletcher

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it....excelllent read on a sunny day, 2 April 2013
This review is from: The Marseille Caper (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tres Bon, 18 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Marseille Caper (Hardcover)
Another very readable tale. I thoroughly recommend it. Do read The vintage Caper first as it will fill in a few gaps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crime for Gentlefolk?, 27 Aug 2013
Delightfully written, evocative of that elysian region, a laid-back soft-core crime caper. Gentle, affable and charming, it's not going to set your adrenals alight, and may be too easy-going for some. Non addictive literary opium to nod off to and dream of fragrant sunny hillsides in the south of France? I don't mind a bit of that, now and again. Enjoyable.

1.0 out of 5 stars At best bland, 26 July 2013
I admit that an American's activities in France is an unlikely combination to be a hit with me, but I gave up because I simply didn't give a toss what happened : the characters and narrative are so 2 dimensional I found no empathy with the story at all.
Caper implies a bit of a lark, or an adventure of sorts; not a good title, but not even honest. And the interminable waffle about food and wine.....It's a plot readers want, not a menu on every page.
Sorry, but even if they're giving it away, don't waste your time. On the plus side, the writing itself is what I would expect from an accomplished author.
Mac Fletcher

1.0 out of 5 stars What a dull piece of writing!, 26 Dec 2012
I have been a fan of Peter mayle for many years, going back to "A year in Provence" all these years ago. In fact, I have bought every single book from him written since. After the "Vintage Caper", I began to have doubts... The "Marseille caper" has confirmed these doubts. A boring piece of writing with bland characters, a very thin plot and a predictable outcome! Peter, in my opinion, has reached the end of his road on the fictional side of his writing and should stick to the non-fictional side where he excels. Do not buy this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars A sort of French Italian Job!, 19 Aug 2013
Excellent light read. Good story in a beautiful setting. Peter Mayle keeps the reader engaged with the plot and colourful descriptions of France and the French.

2.0 out of 5 stars Goodness, a big disappointment, 19 July 2013
I normally love Peter Mayle, but this book is very disappointing. The characters are not believable, having no credible background. The plotting is very lazy and predictable, even in its unbelievability. There are far too many references to food, I'm amazed that the women in it (with one exception slim and beautiful) haven't put on a stone over the course of the week covered by the plot. I hesitate to mention the stereotyping but really! Does Peter have a nanny complex? It's the only reason to introduce Perkins. Sorry, I've gone on too much....it's not good, but if you're looking for an easy read by the pool then you might be OK with it. I think Peter Mayle should stick to non fiction, he's much better at that.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 28 July 2013
Having enjoyed the film of Mayle's 'A Good Year', I hoped I'd found a new author to enjoy. Sadly, this - my first foray - just didn't live up to the sheer fun of my expectations. A light read, but nothing more. Another reviewer commented on the 'interminable waffle about food and drink' - having ploughed through the first detailed recipe, I've decided it's just not worth plodding on. Even if the plot improves, I can see how off-putting the foodie side of things is going to be.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 28 July 2013
As a keen reader of this authors previous books I was looking forward to reading this one. I was however very disappointed at the slow pace of the plot development where nothing really seems to happen. I found the characters forgettable and had no rapport with their predicament.
The plot was unbelievable and I quickly flicked through the second half of the book and was glad when it finished.

1.0 out of 5 stars Marseille Yes, Caper No, 15 July 2013
R. Phillips "seagull" (south coast) - See all my reviews
Sadly, a somewhat pedestrian tale acting as a sequel to The Vintage Caper. Every meal (and, golly, don't they eat lots of them and in great detail?) is wonderful and served by drop dead gorgeous and knowledgeable staff. I would imagine this would be quite fun if you were actually in the region but, frankly, as a caper it doesn't cut the mustard.

The Marseille Caper
The Marseille Caper by Peter Mayle (Paperback - 1 Aug 2013)