5.0 out of 5 stars A "Bond" baddie undertakes treasure heists with fantastical mechanical contraptions., 26 Sep 2008
ELH Browning "Esther-Lou" (Kingston Bagpuize, Oxon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Manfred the Baddie (Hardcover)
Manfred is unquestionably a proper crook with his sharp shark-like teeth and stripey burglar's jumper, and he's perfectly pitched to be obviously bad while not too terrifying for a pre-schooler.
In this amusing story Manfred steals inventors and forces them, with his piranha, to build fantastical contraptions (think Thunderbird machinery: aeroplane circular saws, underground mole trains etc) for him. He uses these to steal crates of mile-high treasure, fine art work (including The Scream; The Girl with a Pearl Earring and the Mona Lisa) and the British Crown Jewels. But then, when Manfred falls ill and even his own henchmen are enjoying his absence, he realises nobody cares about him. This, because it is a children's picture book and not a true Bond film, is where Manfred the Baddie sees the light and, with some words of wisdom from the town doctor, sets off on a better path through life. However, Manfred is not too goody-two-shoes: there's a bit of a naughty twist at the end that made my children smile.........
The book's cover doesn't give any impression of the gorgeous illustrations inside [Quercus - use Amazon's look inside feature!], which is a shame as they are comical in both senses: telling the story in a frame by frame way for a good proportion of the book, and also very funny. They're bright, cheerful, detailed and full of wry humour that'll appeal to adults too. My boys (4 and 6) loved the double page pictures of each of Manfred's thieving operations, and we enjoyed spotting the smaller details like his needletop hideout, a lost wig, and vacuumed seagull feathers! They were also very taken with the inventors diagrams of the brilliant machinery at the beginning and end of the book, cross referring them back and forth to the real contraptions in the story. A lovely touch. A smashing book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Criminal mastermind gets his medicine, 12 May 2012
Ian Thumwood "ian17577" (Winchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manfred the Baddie (Paperback)
I bought this for my 3 year old nephew and probably enjoyed it as much myself. As a fan of "Viz" comic many years ago, it was brilliant to discover that one of the cartoonists had produced a series of three children's books. The style of illustration will be immediately recognisable and whilst the narrative is obviously aimed at kids, something of the naughtiness of "Viz" is retained in both writing and pictures.

Of the three books, I think that character of Manfred is John Fardell's finest creation. The "criminal" deeds he gets up to are really amusing and the contraptions used to pursue his policy of evil are wonderul, Heath Robinson style machines. Elsehwere, there are amusing references to several famous paintings such as Munchs' "The scream" and the "Mona Lisa" which are typical of Fardell's excellent illustrations which yield more upon closer inspection. There is certainly an element of James Bond villain about Manfred but he gets his just desserts when he gets a cold which keeps him in bed and no one wants to help him. Like all good children's books, this prompts a sea-change and after receiving his medicine, he becomes Manfred the Goody and embarks on some philanthropic activities. I love the way that Fardell stresses this change with Manfred's new attire. That really made me smile!

Of course, being a John Fardell book, the ending does have an amusing naughty twist which is the icing on the cake in another brilliant book by this author. There is nothing for adults to fear in any of his books but they are all the better for not being twee like so many kid's books. For my money, Fardell is by far the best children's book writer around today and, as a bonus, he has remained true to his "Viz" roots with a sense of humour that will bring a wry smile to adults as well. I like "Jeremiah the jellyfish" and the brilliant "The day Louis got eaten" too but Manfred is the mut's nuts as they might have said in Roger Mellie's prophanosaurus.

5.0 out of 5 stars A goodie!, 15 Nov 2011
This review is from: Manfred the Baddie (Paperback)
I LOVE Manfred the Baddie. The plot is very similar to several films of relatively recent years, such as Despicable Me and Megamind. Manfred is an extremely bad baddie. He kidnaps inventors to make inventions which allow him to raid shops, art galleries, and private yachts. Eventually, when he is ill and no-one wants him to get better, he repents and turns into Manfred the Goodie.

The illustrations are hugely detailed. The one of Manfred and the doctor, after he has seen the error of his ways, is one of my favourite illustrations in a children's book of all time. The subtle changes in the lighting make his previously austere room seem warm and enticing, and tells the reader all that needs to be told, simply through an image.

The text is witty and the vocabulary used is wide, but simple enough to understand because of the context, and because of the detailed illustrations.

I can see this one getting an airing for a few years yet. A good investment, in my opinion, especially given that I bought it for a pound in The Works.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars are not enough for this gem!, 29 Dec 2010
S. Evans (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manfred the Baddie (Hardcover)
Now in my seventies, my wife and I have raised a large family and the reading of bedtime stories has been a much-loved ritual with all my beloved children, grandchildren ad now great-grandchildren. And this book is the best I have come across. A lively story, beautifully illustrated, which can be read over and over again. This book is a must for any parent who believes in the importance of reading good books to the young. Well done, John Fardell.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic ....., 14 Oct 2008
M. Harris - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manfred the Baddie (Hardcover)
I purchased this book for my 5 year old son and we both loved reading it time and time again
the story is funny with great pictures with a funny little twist at the end that makes my son laugh each time we read it..

5.0 out of 5 stars Manfred the Baddie, 11 Jun 2014
This review is from: Manfred the Baddie (Paperback)
My grand-daughter who is nearly three, has enjoyed having this book read to her, with characters and action n the pages

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!, 7 May 2014
This review is from: Manfred the Baddie (Paperback)
We discovered John Fardell when we borrowed 'When Louis Got Eaten' from the library. What an amazing story with great illustrations. So we had to buy our own copy of course. I then wanted to see what his other titles were like and Manfred is equally fun. He's rich and clever but uses his money for criminal pursuits and he's even nasty to his poor henchmen. And then one day he realises it's better to use his money and power for good. Just bad enough to be edgy and just safe enough to be enjoyed by young children. My almost 4yr old son loves his books! We're off to buy his next one now...

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully illustrated story, 17 Jun 2013
This review is from: Manfred the Baddie (Paperback)
John Fardell is an exceptional illustrator and author. My boys (2 & 5 yrs old) really like this story and will continue to find more to comment on as they grow older.

5.0 out of 5 stars fuel for the imagination, 5 May 2013
This review is from: Manfred the Baddie (Paperback)
This has been a firm favourite with my son, aged 3, since we first read it several months ago. The plot, characters and illustrations are wildly imaginative, without being scary for a younger child. Manfred is a parody of all Bond-type villains and Fardell's wicked sense of humour would also entertain a much older child - they certainly entertained this adult. The same author's "The day Louis got eaten" is equally good, and another lasting favourite in our house. Picture books do not get any better than this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, 31 Mar 2013
This review is from: Manfred the Baddie (Paperback)
My son was talking about this so we got it. He loves it. Like the story how Manfred becomes good

Manfred the Baddie
Manfred the Baddie by John Fardell (Paperback - 6 Aug 2009)