4.0 out of 5 stars Reggie comes smiling through...
Let's clear the air and cut to the bunch sprint - I really enjoyed reading about Reggie's European adventure. Good Vibrations is a book you can read on the big chain ring - it's a light read that delivers just what its title promises: it tells the story of the author's 2010 summer holiday cycle trip from his home in Reading to Brindisi in the south of Italy...
Published on 10 May 2012 by Milemuncher

3.0 out of 5 stars Steady pedalling, could have done with more freewheeling
I take my hat off to anyone who does these long distance rides, so Andrew Sykes deserves congratulations on making the trip and putting the book together. And while the trip through safe, prosperous, France, Switzerland and Italy is unlikely to be as exciting as, say, Mark Beaumont's crossing of Iran on his round the world trip, I have to say I did find this book a bit...
Published on 10 Oct. 2012 by Bristol Gog

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The vibes are good, 22 April 2012
This review is from: Crossing Europe on a Bike Called Reggie (Paperback)
Andrew Sykes's enthusiasm, determination and wry humour come through in this entertaining and easy read. It will suit both armchair dreamers and two-wheel travellers considering their own possible adventures.

Although there are many who have done greater distances (see Crazyguyonabike website, for instance), Andrew's trip from England to the toe of Italy during his summer break from teaching has the feel of a minor epic. His account seems honest and he is not afraid to allude to hating some of the moments, but then longing to get back in the saddle after a rest day. Those of us with some experience of bicycle touring know exactly how he feels.

It's a readable account with enough pace and interest to keep the pages - like Reggie's wheels - turning, and with only the slight irritation of a few typos.

I would recommend it to anyone interested in bicycle touring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crossing Europe on a Bike Called Reggie, 28 Jun. 2014
Amazon Customer (Residing in the Kingdom of Mercia) - See all my reviews
I really loved this book & reading it on the kindle fire means you can highlight places then look at a map to see the route travelled. Written with just enough detail to avoid it being a tour guide & focusing on the journey.
Really enjoyed it than thanks Andrew.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 22 Oct. 2013
An easy read that you can't put down. Andrew writes of his experiences whilst biking through Europe as though they were everyday happenings. This book has inspired me to buy myself a new bike and take on a cycling challenge of my own, just need to think.of a name for my bike.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine read for those contemplating their first bike tour., 5 Oct. 2013
Little by little you will see the author, Andrew, go from novice bike tourer to a seasoned one.
Amusing in many places
This book makes me want to start planning my first tour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a good read ., 19 Sept. 2013
If you like cycling and adventure this book is for you . Give yourself a challenge , plan it and then see it through to the end . Simply a great story, enjoy .

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read for bikers, 28 July 2012
Well written and entertaining, I wish I had the time (and guts) to do the same trip! Reggie was a big help.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a find!, 29 Jun. 2012
Mabbers (Bratislava, Slovakia) - See all my reviews
I just loved this book and was gripped from start to finish. The author is such an everyman but is so inspiring as he cycles across half of Europe. I really found it difficult to put this book down and it really put me cheered me up every morning and evening traveling on the bus to and from work. The author really makes you feel that if he can undertake such a trip everyone can (think he is being rather self-effacing there though)and he has made me so enthusiastic about taking a long trip on my new bicycle, Talulah. I really couldn't rate this book highly enough - funny, interesting, well written and light-hearted - and I hope he manages another!

4.0 out of 5 stars well written travelogue, 21 May 2012
very enjoyable e book. struggled a little towards the end which is why i have given four stars. recommended for any casual traveller as well as more dedicated cycling fans

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 5 Feb. 2012
I read this book as I want to ride Lands End to John O'Groats so Im reading anything I can on long distance cycle rides. This is a great book...one of those that make you tired because you end up reading late into the night! I was also delighted to read that Reggie is the same bike as mine!! My only negative? Its made me realise that my LEJOG trip is a walk in the park by comparison and has left me very envious of the authors amazing adventure!! Look forward to hearing about his future adventures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Vibrations Crossing Europe my take., 4 Feb. 2012
I sat down one Winter evening and bought this book after hearing good things and reading other reviews about this cycling trip. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the book cover to cover (or as best as you can with a Kindle). As much as I applaud the efforts of others to raise funds for good causes by carrying out endurance events as this could be classed, I was glad to read this trip was a planned holiday of the extreme type, by a School Language Teacher with a passion for cycling on his summer leave and basically going with the flow across Europe. Andrew Sykes tells an enjoyable account of this road trip complete with colourful characters met along the way and little bits of historic snippets of information along the way. Reggie did his bit throughout this journey in reliable fashion a tribute to Ridgeback Cyles.

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›

Crossing Europe on a Bike Called Reggie
Crossing Europe on a Bike Called Reggie by Andrew Sykes (Paperback - 23 Oct. 2011)