5.0 out of 5 stars War and Piste
War and Piste is the fictional(?) tale of Poppy's season as a ski rep at an Austrian resort. From the minute she arrives, she's thrown in at the deep end as rep after rep leaves.

I enjoyed reading this book a lot. In fact I was sad to get to the end as I felt I was saying goodbye to friends I'd grown to like a lot.

I liked the background stuff to...
Published 16 months ago by Joo

1.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't recommend
This book felt like a very, very early draft of what could be an ok book. The overall concept and locations are quite fun and exiting but it's written in the slightly grating manner of how a 16 year old public school girl speaks - lots of 'O-M-G like yah, for sure!', not a relatable woman in her late 20s, as the character is supposed to be. This makes the protaganist...
Published on 15 Dec. 2011 by Me

5.0 out of 5 stars War and Piste, 5 Jan. 2014
This review is from: War & Piste (Kindle Edition)

I liked the background stuff to being a rep. As a holidaymaker, changeover day is tiresome, as a rep, it must be ten times worse. The author, whilst not going into too much boring detail, gets over these long days with humour.

I liked the friendships and the romances that happened in this story. Most characters were well rounded in their descriptions and had depths to them.

For me this was a thoroughly enjoyable story and I'd like to know what Poppy did next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feeling Empty, 10 Jan. 2013
This review is from: War & Piste (Paperback)
My friend told me about this book (though he'd not read it) so I checked out the kindle edition preview available on Amazon (Nice touch Amazon).

Having spent a morning doing very little at work as I flicked back and forth to the web page between jobs. I decided I must have this book.

I had to wait a month until I could finally open my Christmas present and get on with reading it. It was worth the wait.

If like me you go on an annual ski trip and you need any kind of snow related fix to pass the time in between, this book is perfect for you. It's funny, the characters are loveable, the setting descriptions give you just enough to imagine and make it your own ski paradise.

I've read reviews complaining about the ending being a bit of a drag. To me it was the opposite. I found myself up reading until 2am and setting an alarm for 6am just so I could get it finished before I set off to work.

The way Alex Thomas takes you from Winter into Spring made me feel depressed (Which is a good thing) I didn't want the season to be over, especially as 'Poppy Conners' would be heading back to the grey skies of London.

By the time I'd reached the end all I wanted to know was... what happens for 'Poppy' beyond the end of the season. I would love a follow up to this book.

Finally, I have given this book 5 stars but I would have given it 4.5 if possible.

There were a number of times when I found myself thinking that they should have employed a decent proof reader before publication and the story did get a little 'Girly' and 'Emo' about 40% in for my liking but if you push through, the second half is fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars a romping read, 19 Oct. 2012
This review is from: War & Piste (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book, not quite sure why 'poppy-flower' took so long to realise the obvious but I am glad she did so in time, I was starting to get anxious.
Well written with some laugh out loud funny moments. I am off to see if there are anymore offerings from this author.
Enjoy !.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Piste of a Book, 19 Jan. 2013
This review is from: War & Piste (Paperback)
First review ever, but enjoyed this book so much I had to leave a review. A skier for many years, I love the alps and all things alpine. I have many fond memories of freshly pisted snow, long queues for the lifts, the bars and hitting the slopes first thing with an apres ski hangover!! This book captures it all and is a laugh out loud read, I found it hard to put down. If you are looking for a light hearted good read with a feel good factor (especially on a winters evening) read this book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like an actual ski season..., 13 Dec. 2012
This review is from: War & Piste (Paperback)
I actually read this book last year, but I loved it so much I'm reading it again. The characters are very well written, as other reviewers have said, and the story is so fun. I read it first time in just a couple of days. It's very realistic, and so funny in places: it took me right back to my own season in the mountains. I don't agree that this is chick-lit set in a ski resort, it's much better than that! I can't wait to read her next book!

4.0 out of 5 stars funny, well written and easy going, 3 Jan. 2013
Mr. D. Young "sandal slogger" (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: War & Piste (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book, the story developed well, was amusing and very enjoyable. Whilst easy to read, this is a compliment not a criticism, you can't help but get sucked into the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for girls of all ages suffering mountain withdrawal symptoms..., 16 Oct. 2013
This review is from: War & Piste (Kindle Edition)
If you can't escape to the Alps for the winter this book is the next best thing. Like Bridget Jones working a season, it had me laughing, wincing, and celebrating along with the staff at Reschengel. There is a romantic storyline but the best thing about this book was the way it transported me back to the snow, and the reckless child a foot of powder will bring out in everyone who has experienced the strange mix of terror and freedom of strapping boards to their feet and pointing them down a mountain. It is a long book and could probably have been shorter, but would make perfect reading for a long boring transfer! I have skiied every season for the past 32 years and met most of the characters, so guess it's not all fiction either...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, funny read!, 10 Dec. 2012
This review is from: War & Piste (Kindle Edition)
I read the opening paragraphs in this book then went back and read them out loud to my husband - Alex Thomas is witty and writes in a fun easy style. You are instantly captured by Poppy's adventures and willingly go along for the ride. Skiing comes alive and you can just picture all the craziness that goes on behind the scenes in the hospitality trade.

You will laugh out loud and wish you were whizzing through the snow - you really should read this - it's great!

5.0 out of 5 stars A real surprise, 16 Jan. 2013
This review is from: War & Piste (Kindle Edition)
I started this book expecting it to be a good time waster for my commute. It had me completely hooked! I couldn't put it down and was desperate to find out how it ended. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and frustrating, 18 Oct. 2012
This review is from: War & Piste (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this book though for a great part of it I really wanted to just slap the heroine and tell her to open her eyes! It's a hilarious tale of life in the chalet world and as would be expected is full of hangovers. Good book and I'll be looking for more books by this author.

War & Piste
War & Piste by Alex Thomas (Paperback - 6 July 2011)