5.0 out of 5 stars Military History---Soldiers Letters
Andrew Roberts with his introduction to and compilation cooperating with I W M and Osprey has shown a sensitivity of feeling which is masterly.
To be reminded of my letters home 60 years on is both illuminating and rewarding.
Any book which reminds us of the human experience and sacrifice should be read by all.
I was...
Published on 22 Sep 2012 by Bob Gill

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing read
Published 18 months ago by Magherablade

5.0 out of 5 stars Military History---Soldiers Letters, 22 Sep 2012
This review is from: Love Tommy: Letters Home, from the Great War to the Present Day (General Military) (Hardcover)
I was one of the lucky ones to return home and continue my life. I salute those srving today!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing read, 23 May 2013
I bought 'Love, Tommy' because I enjoy collections of letters, and am interested in how people record their experiences of war, but I found this very heavy going. All the best bits seemed to have been picked up in the introduction and I found the editing intrusive. Had I made it to the end, my view might have changed, but I gave up after a couple of hours: and it sits on my Kindle waiting for an occasion when I'm desperate for something to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 May 2013
Letters from men at war to the families they may never see again. I think teenage children should be encouraged to read books like this, in school preferably, where questions can be answered as they arise. These men were fighting for their country and it's a sobering thought that our own young have no conception of the sacrifice made for our freedom. Might help more than a few of them to grow up and learn about responsibility before it's all too late...

4.0 out of 5 stars An enlightening insight, 18 May 2014
Reading letters from the forces, combined with the organisation of the author, makes this book an important historical source, while being mindful of current affairs. There is a three word description of war in one of the more recent letters which conveys the writer's feelings to his reader, that is very powerful, written in the same paragraph of routine descriptions of how life was at that point. No more words were necessary.

4.0 out of 5 stars LETTERS FROM SOLDIERS, 15 Jan 2014
I HAD A NEW KINDLE AND THE FIRST BOOK WAS THIS ONE LOVE, TOMMY. WHAT A GREAT READ. SO SAD THAT I CAN ONLY READ A FEW LETTERS THEN HAVE TO TAKE A BREAK. IT GIVES SUCH AN INSIGHT TO WHAT THE SOLDIERS WENT THROUGH.

5.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinary Collection on the part of Andrew Roberts and the Imperial War Museum, 6 Nov 2013
A wonderous insight into the minds of the soldiers of the Great War. Heartbreaking but compulsive reading - I'm on my second reading at the moment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rality Bites, 27 July 2013
A look into the private letter home of soldiers at the front. Spanning several wars, it was fascinating to read the back-stories and the letters themselves. They are revealing and engrossing, we see weakness, strength, courage and how badly the soldier misses home and family.

This book will be enjoyed by military historians and people with an interest in other people.

4.0 out of 5 stars very informative and in some cases extremely sad, 2 July 2013
an interesting collection of genuine letters from soldiers in various wars .. with added footnotes in some instances to say what happened after the letters were sent. i.e did not return from service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reading, 20 Jun 2013
A. Checketts (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
Engaging reading throughout as soldiers reveal their daily lives to loved ones back home, starting with WW1 and ending with the Iraq conflict.

Each letter is preceded by a brief introduction to the author and the battle in which he found himself. After some letters we learn what happened to the writer. In some cases, sadly, he didn't make it back home.

For some reason, the text is grey rather than black which could be an issue if your eyesight is not good. I found that by enlarging the text and reading in good light there was no problem.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderul book, 23 May 2013
I loved this collection as it had a short explanation of the background of the conflicts the writers were involved in and at times made me smile and other times cry. A very touching collection

Love Tommy: Letters Home, from the Great War to the Present Day (General Military) by Andrew Roberts & The Imperial War Museum (Hardcover - 20 Sep 2012)