5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Read
As a newly diagnosed "Aspergirl", I have acquired several books on the subject over the last few weeks. To put it simply, the other books have simply "rattled the locks" on the "Asperger Box". This book however has literally "blown the lid off".
Published on 26 April 2011 by Buffy

2.0 out of 5 stars It's a Positive read but shallow.
Published 2 months ago by Kate Owen

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Read, 26 April 2011
This review is from: Aspergirls: Empowering Females with Asperger Syndrome (Paperback)
I have ordered a further copy to loan out to family and friends, as well as "Asperger's on the Job" - another title by the same author. I particularly like the interviews with other Aspergirls, and in some cases their partners, and also the explanations of some of the more unusual "behaviours". The author also compares the differences between males and females with Asperger's Syndrome. It's nice to know that I'm not alone.

I am currently using the book to help me "find the right words" for a website I am creating.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is associated in any way with an Aspergirl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 13 Aug 2010
As the mother of a daughter diagnosed only two years ago at the age of 17 with Aspergers this book provided me with more information than I have been able to find anywhere else. I bought it primarily for my daughter to read, but both my husband and I have also now read it and think that everyone who has any contact with a female with Aspergers should read it. By reading this book you gain so much more understanding of what an Aspie girl is going through and how to help them - when they need help or will accept it! If you know any female Aspie I can't recommend this book highly enough - and even if you don't know someone with it, still read it and then when you come across an Aspie you will understand why they are like they are.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book available on women with Asperger's, 1 Oct 2010
After my son was diagnosed with ASD, I started researching everything related to Autism. In the process, I recognised some symptoms of AS in myself - but some of what I read on the web didn't quite fit. I soon realised that much of the information on AS on the web is still dominated by a MALE definition of AS and doesn't take into consideration the differences between men and women with Asperger's. So, I bought a few books on the subject of specifically WOMEN with Asperger's and this was one of them.

For me, reading this book was like reading about my whole life. It was absolutely mind-blowing for me. There is a table of asperger traits in females at the back and I found myself ticking pretty much every one. It's really a MUST READ for anyone girl/woman who either already has asperger's OR suspects that they do. DO NOT HESITATE TO BUY IT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Godsend! AsperGirl Power!, 28 Jun 2010
BeatleBangs1964 (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is one of the best books about girls and women on the autism/Asperger's spectrum that I have EVER read! No parent, educator or medical professional should be without this gem. Women and girls on the spectrum will certainly recognize themselves in this stellar masterpiece of a book. It is very empowering!

If you are a girl or woman on the spectrum, this book is truly your best friend. Rudy Simone, like Dr. Travis Thompson and Dr. Tony Attwood is the voice of tolerance and understanding in re the a/A experience. She really "gets" it!

I like the way she replaces harmful verbiage such as "stimming," which is a term I never liked either with the more tolerant and much more accurate term "soothing" behaviors. She dislikes the term "stimming" because to her it sounds "creepy." I dislike it because I think it trivializes or downplays the need to release excess tension when sensory input gets to be too much. After all, the neurotypical (NT) population "stims," by tapping and jingling things in their pockets and fidgeting, just to name a few.

Rudy Simone is a genius. It is as simple as that. She has interviewed women on the spectrum and included their thoughts in this masterpiece of a book. Liane Holliday Willey wrote the foreword and she has Asperger's and her daughter does as well.

Rudy Simone outlines critical points throught one's life, from birth to senior citizenship with Asperger's. She outlines with clearly written, easy to follow lists of key bullet items that help direct readers' focus on Aspergerian behaviors, reasons for same and mechanisms for coping. Each chapter closes with Advice to Parents and Advice to Aspergirls. I like the new terminology - Aspergirls. Liane Holliday Willey's daughter said it sounded like a superhero and she is right. I think we should get into raising our glasses and proposing a toast to Rudy Simone!

I strongly urge everyone to read this book and I would like to give people extra copies of it. It has truly been a major help to me personally and for that, I say a heartfelt "THANK YOU, RUDY SIMONE!"

5.0 out of 5 stars BPD or Aspies - the same but different?, 8 Jun 2011
If you have ever wondered if you might be one of those on the Autistic Spectrum, if you think you might be an Aspies female, if you have a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder which you question, this book is for you.
In this engrossing and informative book the author outlines the major characteristics of Aspies as experienced by women and girls and posits this experience as distinctly different to that of males. I came to this book having been alerted by a friend that my diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder may have been incorrect and I discovered I shared more with this description of Aspergers Syndrome than I ever did with BPD.
Each of the major characteristics is examined in detail and there are useful sections on coping as a person with Aspies, a mum of an Aspies daughter, and growing up as an Aspergirl.
If you find you have problems figuring out emotions, have 'too many' and often feel overwhelmed or if you question Personality Disorder as applied to you, this book could finally bring the clarity you seek.

5.0 out of 5 stars It made me want to cry, 3 May 2013
I found this book recently after my daughter (8) was diagnosed with AS. I bought it mainly to help me support her, but also because, as part of her assessment process I realised that the AS label also very probably applied to me. I have always struggled with life's little social rituals, fitting in, etc....and this book resonated with me on every level. It made complete sense and explained why most seemingly simple things in my life are just so hard. Although it doesn't cure me, I have a huge sense of relief that there is an explanation for me, and it surprisingly, makes me feel proud that I have AS. I now feel more empowered about supporting my daughter, and rather than try and minimise her symptoms I will now try and emphasise some of her AS traits as positive life skills. For her and or me the way forward is now clearer. I hugely recommend this book - for support of another and support to oneself!

4.0 out of 5 stars Aspergirls, 11 Jan 2012
I didn't realise until I read this book that girls are less liable to be diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome than boys. It affects them in different ways and they cope with it differently. This is a brilliant book for an Aspergirl, their parents or people working with them - it covers early life, the teenage years, college, work, romance, marriage, friendships, meltdowns, misunderstandings. Basically anything you wanted to know you'll find someone who has experienced it in this book

2.0 out of 5 stars It's a Positive read but shallow., 6 May 2014
I was given this to read while waiting for a referral to the adult diagnosis unit. And it's the standard Asperger's description but the book does not touch in any way on the severe issues that autism can create in women - eating disorders, self harm, abusive relationships, and addiction. This book makes feeling like an alien too whimsical and charming. But the reality of trying to find coping strategies with no diagnosis has left a lot of intelligent women very damaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth the read, 3 July 2011
Well I really enjoyed this book. I have an Asperger son ( original diagnosis medium to severe Autism) and after looking into it all can see the Aspergers all thru my family and my husbands as well. We have lived with it all now for 16 years so tend not to buy books etc anymore as we have been there/seen that/got the t shirt ( Tony Atwood is fantastic for books) but this one had a different perspective so I bought it. I found it to be very insightful ; not all of it was relevent to our family but then AS is not one set of exact symptoms so we dont all react in the same way. It was nice to read though about people who do react like you .

One thing to say is that one reviewer felt that the section on diet to manage the condition was very American and wasnt sure about it. Well we put our son onto a gluten free/ lactose free diet 13 years ago following UK charities and recommendations. The diet has been extremely benefical to him and while I know it may seem unusual to some for us it has made a tremendous difference. It is down to personal taste but I think it was covered in the book as it covers a lot of broad range subject matters. Also yes the section on periods was simplistic but again the book is trying to be all things to all people and a young Aspergirl may find it useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars the best Aspergirl book so far, 27 Sep 2011
I liked this book because it is about Aspergirls and there are not many books about Aspergirls. Some of the information was really useful. However, I think more books are needed about fighting sensory issues which cripple me. Also I would like to read books by British women as Aspergirl authors are usually American.

Aspergirls: Empowering Females with Asperger Syndrome
Aspergirls: Empowering Females with Asperger Syndrome by Rudy Simone (Paperback - 15 Jun 2010)
11.95