4.0 out of 5 stars as crazy as a sack full of adders
This next episode in the investigative (and love) life of the intrepid Agatha Raisin is delightfully read by her alter ego Penelope Keith who has so enmeshed in M.C.Beaton's character that it is difficult, now, to tell them apart. Indeed should Mrs Raisin ever make it to the small screen I, for one, would be shocked to see anybody else but Ms Keith in the role...
Published 20 months ago by David Spanswick

2.0 out of 5 stars Time to stop.
Have loved reading 'Agatha' and 'Hamish' in the past, sadly with all the other books MC Beaton now churns out I feel she now insults her fans with this rubbish. Last couple have been no better than short stories,its like they have become a rush to finish and get out of way. Sorry MC but I will not be buying any more. Give up if thats the best you can be bothered to do!
Published 19 months ago by John dunn

2.0 out of 5 stars Time to stop., 18 Feb 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars That's it., 9 Sep 2013
This review is from: Agatha Raisin: Hiss and Hers (Paperback)
Perhaps I read too many of the books (actually all of them) but it was pretty clear from the beginning who the murderer is. The writing style is getting worse and again when reading of Simon's parents I got so angry that I couldn't concentrate on the rest of the book. His parents died in a car crash for heaven's sake. Yet in the last and in this book they are running around like Lazarus only that nobody notices the wonder!

And maybe, just maybe it is a bad thing having read all the books because the gaps in the character works are so visible it hurts my eyes and especially my intellect. The books have become more sloppy with every new story, the language is flat and the sentences careless. I have the impression that after the success of the first books the new ones have to follow each other as quickly as possible. So already the very first draft, which normally is being read and re-read and corrected etc, gets published and carted off to the book store without a second thought.

As I said, I read every books so far but with the latest books it grew harder and harder to ignore the lack of quality and inspiration. So that I am giving up now. I read to enjoy myself and not to see how beloved characters are being bullied around without past nor future.

I just want to make clear that I blame this not only on the author but also on the publishers. Shame on you for ruining a series that began so promising.

2.0 out of 5 stars Miss and hers more like!, 24 Feb 2013
I adore agatha however I feel like mcb has churned this one out without the usual careful plot. In fact I found it very dull and it really would make me consider purchasing again if mcb doesn't take the time to change the script a bit from the usual plot lines. I always enjoy the books that are set when agatha goes abroad and James needs more of a part or maybe the ladies of carsley could go on a ladies holiday especially as we have now been introduced to mrs bloxby actually leaving the country let alone carsley!!
Room for improvement.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 9 Feb 2013
Stromata (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Marion Chesney is an impressively prolific and popular writer and in the guise of 'M C Beaton' she has published a string of 'Agatha Raisin' books and this was my opportunity to sample her work. Hiss and Hers is the twenty-third Agatha Raisin story and I listened to the story on a set of six CD's read by Penelope Keith.

I understand from reading other reviews on Amazon that this is not the best book in the series and I must say I was very disappointed with the whole experience. I found the storyline totally inane, the characters insipid and even the consummate actress Penelope Keith, 'the voice of Agatha', could not engage my interest.

I am sure M C Beaton has her loyal fans - but, alas, I shall not be joining them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable - but not in a good way., 17 Nov 2013
I was introduced to the Agatha Raisin books quite a while ago and I must have enjoyed the first one because I've read others on and off over the years. I won't be reading any more. Although, in the interest of fairness, I might go back and re-read the original one to see whether it's the book or my taste in reading that has changed. If I'm being kind then this book wasn't very good but if I'm being honest I thought that it was puerile. I won't be giving any plot spoilers because, just a few weeks after reading it, I couldn't tell you what the point of it was. I remember 'who dunnit' but I have no idea why. Character-wise, I imagine that Agatha is supposed to be a strong, modern woman but to me she came across as self-centred and petulant.
As a person who will read anything form Chick-Lit to Chaucer, I have no wish to offend devoted followers of M. C. Beaton. However, if an author is making a living by selling their wares to those same followers, I think that they should be treated with some respect. I don't remember what I paid for my copy but even at the reduced price, it wasn't worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars as crazy as a sack full of adders, 23 Jan 2013
David Spanswick (Brighton United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

This book rivals Midsomer in almost every way but most especially in the bizarre form of the murders executed (pun intended). In "Hiss and Hers" a one legged Lothario who romances all the unloveables in Carsley and has a history of Casanovaesque exploits in previous Oxford villages. It is no spoiler to tell you that he is discovered in a compost heap with a bag over his head that has recently been the home of a nest of deadly snakes ~ how biblical is that?

As in all the Agatha Raisin novels despite the horror of the deaths the usual suspects carry the story along at a wonderful pace and Penelope Keith's reading is a joy as she "does" all the voices from Mrs Bloxby to Roy Silver with great elan

No true fan of the series will be disappointed

2.0 out of 5 stars Too formulaic, 17 Mar 2013
I was really looking forward to this latest Agatha Raisin book and I'm a bit disappointed with the content. Everything seemed same old same old. I think dear old Aggie should part company with the detective agency and go back to lone snooping. Take up an unusual hobby, give man hunting a miss, and change her door locks again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Agatha Raisen, 17 Feb 2013
Bought on kindle, no problems as usual. Story/plot lines are now getting very samey with no surprises which is why I gave a low score. Felt like I have read the book three times before.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hiss, 12 Feb 2013
Enjoyed her other books but this one seems a remash of old tales of her other books. I think its time to think of better plots.

4.0 out of 5 stars Agatha takes a holiday, 22 Jan 2013
T. Bently "tbently" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Agatha Raisin begins her latest adventure by shamelessly pursuing (along with most of the other single women in her village) one of its newest residents, George the gardener, who has blond streaks in his hair as well as a war injury. Sadly, her pledge to take a rest from her sleuthing business doesn't last long...

Although I'm a fan of M.C. Beaton I much prefer the Hamish Macbeth series. I think this is because the residents of Lochdubh are so amusingly varied. In Agatha's Cotswold community everyone is very middle class and it can be hard to tell characters apart, although Penelope Keith helps by doing a sterling job of getting her mouth round various accents.

I think Agatha fans will enjoy this outing but I may confine myself to her Scottish stablemate in the future.

Agatha Raisin: Hiss and Hers
Agatha Raisin: Hiss and Hers by M.C. Beaton (Paperback - 18 April 2013)