5.0 out of 5 stars One of the strangest and saddest stories of our time
I'm a pretty good chess player having achieved a USCF expert's rating in my twenties and even in my sixties gaining a draw with International Master John Donaldson at the US Open in Los Angeles in 2003. (He offered a draw in a losing position. Since I had little time left on my clock I accepted.)

I should also say that I am a personal friend of Larry Remlinger...
Published on 11 Dec. 2012 by Dennis Littrell

3.0 out of 5 stars A sketch rather than a finished portrait
As a keen amateur chess enthusiast and one similar in age to Fischer, I was already aware of most of the details of Fischer's life. I read this book in the hope of finding some explanations for his anti-Americanism, his anti-Semitism, his Holocaust denial, his ingratitude to friends, his hypochondria, and his failure to play competitive chess after 1972 except for the...
Published on 19 Oct. 2011 by Derek Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Read, 11 Jun. 2011
Mr. James E. Gardner (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Endgame (Kindle Edition)
I first became aware of this book after seeing a review in a national newspaper. Suffice it to say that I was intrigued and,after reading the free excerpt available for Kindle users, took the plunge and purchased it without further delay. Prior to reading this book, all that I knew of Bobby Fischer was that he was an American and a chess world champion. This is a fascinating read most likely to appeal to Chess aficionados.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 April 2015
This review is from: Endgame (Paperback)
Good book

4.0 out of 5 stars tragedy, 22 Jun. 2013
mark taha (LONDON,BRITAIN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Endgame: Bobby Fischerís Remarkable Rise and Fall ó from America's Brightest Prodigy to the Edge of Madness (Hardcover)
The tragedy of living proof of the old adage about the thin dividing line between genius and madness. The greatest chess player of them all and otherwise basically insane. The bok didn't include enough chess,in my view.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent page-turner of a biography, 30 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Endgame (Kindle Edition)
I knew nothing of Bobby Fischer other than his name - I knew that he was a chess player, I knew that he was unpopular in later life. That was it. This book was a fascinating account - deftly descriptive but also brutal in portraying less flattering sides to this brilliant but troubled man. He seemed, reading the book, to be haunted by insecurities from abandonment by his father which caused him to turn against authority figures both individually and in the broader context of turning against his country. He also seemed, having lived by the rules and power struggles of chess, to have then tried to apply this same paradigm to the rules and power struggles of ethics and world order, pursuing extreme religious and political viewpoints. Perhaps he thought that it was only through arguing for extreme positions that he could understand and 'checkmate' other people/ the world.

Fascinating book. Definitely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars endgame: Bobby Fischer's rise and fall, 26 Feb. 2012
I bought this book as a present for my husband who loves chess and Bobby Fischer is one of his inspirations. My husband loves the book and it's the kind of book you can always look to for inspiration. A great player. great value for money too, thanks.Endgame: Bobby Fischer's Remarkable Rise and Fall -- from America's Brightest Prodigy to the Edge of Madness

4.0 out of 5 stars Bucko's review, 1 Jun. 2011
I found the book fascinating, from Bobby's early days, right through to his demise, this book will leave you thinking of how easily genius is close to madness !!

Usually dispatched within 9 to 11 days