4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant
Pleasant. Not a bad thing at all, in my view. All of the Amelia Peabody novels are pleasant and that is sometimes all that one wants. This book was quite gripping too. It also had the advantage of taking a step back in time to when the Emerson 'clan' was not as large. It felt like that created fewer distractions and added depth to the characterisation.

Many...
Published on 25 May 2010 by S. Morris

3.0 out of 5 stars Rambling and half-hearted attempt to continue the series
Set in 1910, this is another of the books that skips back in time (like Guardian of the Horizon (Amelia Peabody Murder Mystery)) and is set immediately after that book and before the fateful Falcon at the Portals (Amelia Peabody Murder Mystery). With war with Germany on the horizon, the Emersons are drawn into the pre-war machinations in the middle east. Ramses has taken...
Published on 31 July 2010 by Roman Clodia

3.0 out of 5 stars Shallow, 6 Feb 2014
Elaine Tomasso (Troon. Uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is not a bad book but in comparison with most of the series it is rather lacklustre. There is only one strand to the plot rather than the many we are used to and it is pretty unconvincing and the characters seem like caricatures. The parody and tongue-in-cheek sly humour are also missing. It is all extremely average instead of the rollicking good read the earlier books are.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a great book. Read them all, 26 Jan 2014
Mrs. S. J. Nunn "Sarah" (England) - See all my reviews
It's just a great book. You must read the whole series. It's funny and moving as well interesting. Worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 14 Dec 2013
I am mad about Egypt and its history and to have such wonderful characters and animals just makes its perfect. I have them all on my Kindle and would now like to have the actual books as I would read them again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic of the genre, 16 July 2013
This review is from: A River in the Sky (Amelia Peabody) (Paperback)
This book fills in some of the missing years from the Peabody saga. Elizabeth Peters manages to take us back without any slips of continuity - that I spotted.

5.0 out of 5 stars book, 23 Jun 2013
I always enjoy books written by this author and this book
is no exception. Once you have read one of her books
You have to read them all.

3.0 out of 5 stars not quite as gripping as others in the series, 25 May 2013
This review is from: A River in the Sky (Amelia Peabody) (Paperback)
It was difficult to get my head round this book. I twas not as absorbing as some of her others in the series and as it was out of chronological order it was hard to place what was happening to the family at this time. I will have to re-read all the books in chronological order and then it may be better. There wasn't as many twists and turns as there normally are. I found I could easily put this one down whereas with many of the others I just wanted to keep reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slowing down in the express train that is Amelia Peabody, 3 May 2013
M Poole "The Tillerman" (The wilds of Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A River in the Sky (Amelia Peabody) (Paperback)
I love the series, I adore Amelia Peabody but she's running out of steam in what is rapidly becoming a petrol-driven world. I wouldn't ask her to retire but I think the entire Egyptology in the Edwardian world has reached its limits.

If there is a way to continue, it would have to be a next generation taking up the challenges, but there's going to be a loss of allure that gave us so much entertainment in Egypt. It's a good read but it's not the best of the lot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 16 Feb 2013
It was a bit strange to return to a series I first read a number of years ago - and read this book which is new but takes place mid-series. But once I'd got my head round all that, I enjoyed it. Great to revisit characters I know and love. I think I preferred the books actually set in Egypt, but this story moves along at a good pace. Perhaps the characters are a trifle predictable, but in many ways that's part of the enjoyment of picking up on a familiar series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back in Egypt ..., 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: A River in the Sky (Amelia Peabody) (Paperback)
This takes some getting used to, because it has to be fitted into its correct chronological slot in the Peabody/Emerson family saga. But it is vintage Elizabeth Peters - well worth reading!

4.0 out of 5 stars Elizabeth Peters, 25 Dec 2012
I read all of these books years ago, and was delighted to find them on Kindle. They are just as amusing as I thought them then and at least they attempt to show an Egypt we can believe in and I took kindly to the characters and still enjoy them

A River in the Sky (Amelia Peabody)
A River in the Sky (Amelia Peabody) by Elizabeth Peters (Paperback - 21 April 2011)