4.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to the Inspector's next case.
Published on 25 Jan. 2012 by Ms Bond

3.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to like it but...
I read the first book in the series and whilst I liked it, felt frustrated by the many loose ends and hoped this second book would help to tie some of them up.

Published on 10 Mar. 2012 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to the Inspector's next case., 25 Jan. 2012
I have just finished reading this book which I bought and read straight after finishing the first, London Calling. Carlyle is a great character - family orientated, jaded and cynical about his job, world weary but still determined to get his case solved in the face of adversity. The plot is excellent in both books and keeps you turning the pages in anticipation of the next twist. I also really enjoy the dry humour throughout - there are a few laugh out loud moments.
My only criticism -and the reason why I gave it four rather than five stars - is that there is so much cut and pasted from the first book which starts to irritate after a while. This is especially noticeable when reading them back to back but I'm sure that readers aren't that bad at remembering characters from a previous book even with a gap between books!!
All in all, a good read and I'm looking forward to the next in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A serial detective to add to the list of greats, 10 Jan. 2012
This is the second outing for Craig's London Met detective, John Carlyle, a down-to-earth copper who seems to be constantly juggling more cases than the average plod should be able to deal with. Carlyle's first outing was in London Calling, a launch I somehow missed but intend to put right, if the enjoyment in this second story is anything to go by.

The central plot involves the death of an elderly woman, apparently at the hands of her husband who insists he's innocent. Vague references to a Chilean connection with the case fail to dissuade Carlyle of the husband's guilt. In between he tries to help find a missing child, deal with the stalker of a pretty newswoman, and investigate a nasty drug ring. Not unexpectedly, things take a twist on his main case when he learns the husband is not the killer.

Carlyle is the type of hero to enjoy. He doesn't jump through burning hoops, abseil tall buildings, or shoot an MP5 out of the window in a high-speed car chase. But he gets the job done in an efficient and believable manner while juggling a domestic life with an understanding wife and a teenage daughter beginning to explore the usual adolescent boundaries.

There's a lot about this novel to keep you engrossed and interested. The initial, slightly overlong, references to what happened in Chile could have been best dealt with in a prologue, but that's almost unfair nitpicking in what is a superbly written and cosy yarn. Craig's style, pace and underlying knowledge is as good as anything you'll find in the crime genre. Judging by what lies between the covers of Never Apologise, Never Explain, the Inspector Carlyle brand deserves to sit on the shelves with the best of the modern serial detectives.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to like it but..., 10 Mar. 2012

However, I find I am actually unable to even finish this second book as I am appalled at the incompetence of Inspector Carlye. Not meaning to spoil the plot in any way, but if only the guy would do his job, answer his phone, follow up leads, not rush off to find food...less people would die and/or go missing.

I understand the need to develop a realistic character, but I find it unbelievable how that this one managed to join the policeforce, much less remain there and become an Inspector. He doesn't seem to care about his job or anything for that matter bar pasteries and taking his daughter to school. I therefore find it difficult to like him myself, which is totally distracting me from the plot so I'm bowing out now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner for Craig and Carlyle, 5 Feb. 2012
This is the second in James Craig's series of murder mysteries featuring London based Detective Inspector John Carlyle.

I enjoyed the first book, London Calling, not just for it's story line, a rollocking good read, but also for the character of John Carlyle. I found myself wanting to read more by James Craig and more about John Carlyle.

I didn't find this second book quite as good but it still scores very highly for both the plot and the characters.

When Agatha Mills is found murdered in her home her husband Henry is the only suspect.

It looks like and open and shut case, but further deaths follow and links emerge with both the Chilean dictatorship of General Pinochet in the 1970's and the shadowy world of present day arms dealers.

The book is a good thriller although there is less of a mystery to be solved by Carlyle. In fact the solution to the story is unsatisfactory in many ways but that probably only serves to make it more true to life.

I look forward to volume three.

3.0 out of 5 stars Never Apologise, Never Explain, 12 Mar. 2012
I did enjoy the book but I wasn't expecting the graphic details regarding the torture etc., I read this on Kindle but if I'd flicked through it in a bookshop I probably wouldn't have bought it because of that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, 24 May 2013
I downloaded this book after reading James Craig's "London Calling". Thinking it'd be at least half as good.

I'm afraid it isn't, he seems to sneer at everything and describe most scenes with a bitter edge. The main character, policeman Carlyle, turns into one of those canteen culture cops we hear so much about.
Without giving too much away he doesn't actually do very much except going around acting as a stereotypical long term copper giving opinions and not protecting the public. It makes it really annoying read.

If you want a decent read get London calling, that's ok, I doubt I'll read one of his again for fear of it being as bad as this one. Shame really cos London Calling I couldn't put down and finished in 2 days.

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific tale, 8 Mar. 2012
Bookie (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I haven't read anything by James Craig and I believe this is the second of the Inspector Carlyle series. It certainly works well as a stand alone. The book was so easy to get into; it was like slipping into a pair of favourite slippers and feeling comfortable. I warmed immediately to the character of Carlyle. A human police officer who has a fulfilled life outside his work. It makes a change for the central character not to be deeply flawed in some way. He has foibles of course and they add to his charm and the interest.

The plot worked well. The Chilean angle was both novel and interesting. The dialogue throughout is natural; it's day to day language, not contrived and all the more believable for that. There is very much a sense of this being a true reflection of how police officers work. In addition to the central storyline, the reader is shown how Carlyle is struggling to manage other casework.

I particularly enjoyed the descriptive passages detailing specific locations and mundane events. Craig has managed to capture the essence of the London setting, adding to the enjoyment rather than it being superfluous detail to pad out a thin plot. Even from the very early part where the British Museum is being described, the detail is such that, as a reader, you can almost see a picture postcard of the building. Very visual writing. The story is told with a fluid and easy prose and I finished it in a couple of evenings. A gret page turning read. Thoroughly enjoyed the story and will certainly read more in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sequel, 9 Jan. 2012
I have been eagerly awaiting the next installment of the Inspector Carlyle series and was not disappointed. While I thoroughly enjoyed "London Calling", this new book is an altogether superior novel. The plot is taught and believable, the characters rounded and interesting and the dialogue believable.

In my mind, this second book cements James Craig's place in the upper echelons of British crime writers with Inspect Carlyle worthy to take his place amongst the other great fictional detectives.

3.0 out of 5 stars Misled by the back cover blurb -- book too seamy for me!, 22 July 2013
Susan B. Hanley (Honolulu, HI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Never Apologise, Never Explain (An Inspector Carlyle Novel) (Paperback)
I real detective stories for escape, not to learn about the real world. I get enough of that in the news. I suspect much of the description of what goes on in the seedier parts of London is accurate, and that even the incompetence and poor attitude of Carlyle can be found in London's police force. But the book just got grubbier and grubbier as I read on and I finally quit halfway through, after cheating by reading the end. I'll admit that I prefer Deborah Crombie and her ilk as writers, and I know there are a lot of people out there who like these "realistic" stories, so I have rated the book higher than I would normally for a book I couldn't finish.

There are other problems with the book, as other reviewers have noted. The book jumps around and I had trouble remembering who of the minor characters was who. This may be realistic in a cop's day, but it's frustrating for the reader. I also admit to reading too many gratuitous descriptions about male genitalia for my taste.

So if you want gritty realism, you may like this book. But if you want a detective story set in a London you like with likeable and interesting characters, don't try to read this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars insp carlyle, 18 Mar. 2012
The underlying plot was good, but its delivery was tedious. Lacked real bite and would put me off this author.

Never Apologise, Never Explain (An Inspector Carlyle Novel)
Never Apologise, Never Explain (An Inspector Carlyle Novel) by James Craig (Paperback - 2 Feb. 2012)