Format: Hardcover|Change

on 14 January 2011
I bought this book as a gift but dont you always look through a book before you wrap it up. It looked like a good fun read - designed to occupy the reader for the last few minuts of the day before you go sleep - assuming you have nothing better to do! Had great tips on such things as how to grow a moustache, how to open your champagne with your trusty sword some chat up lines and some unusual swear words and heaps more. All the essential hints a chap needs - should be on every bedside table - you'll be awake for ages and will want to them share with everyone at work the next morning.
on 29 November 2012
Another book I got because of the title thinking it will be another attempt at being funny. This book is not only funny but it's also extremely clever. You can learn something about world around you. I will now pay more attention to abbreviations in my patients record.
on 15 March 2013
Brought this for my boyfriend who loved it. Ideal as a fun, sightly quirky birthday prezzi. Also ideal to be kept in the bathroom for when you need a giggle.
on 16 December 2012
Nice bedtime read - bed you can't just read one topic- supposed to help you get off to sleep - made me laugh
on 28 June 2014
Good tips for today's gentlemen, and for those not in the gentleman's class.
A useful guide don't you think Jeeves
on 12 January 2014
Good book. Well worth reading, although don't try reading it straight through as you would if you were reading a novel
on 26 January 2014
I Chose this rating as the item was as ordered and as how I expected
delivery was as stated when ordered
on 6 September 2011
I found the early parts of this book amusing but it ran out of steam. There is some puerile, made-up stuff in between some really interesting information. The chat-up lines were corny and - I suspect - reflect the writer's age. His ever so jolly style wears a bit thin after awhile as does his use of the word 'blimmin''. It's difficult to know what this means. If he means 'blooming', why not say it? There are stronger words in the book.

The other main problem is the sometimes sexist humour. This may have been OK 20-30 years ago but is either a bit tired now or just insulting, depending on your point of view. The book made me giggle sometimes but I am not sure I will be buying too many copies as stocking fillers!
on 17 August 2011
I enjoyed this book, although some stories and sections were more entertaining than others and it was very much dependent on whether I had an interest in the subject. On the whole it was well-written although I did find the 'quirky' writing style started to irritate a little bit if I read more than a couple of chapters at once.
on 27 December 2011
I had put this on my Christmas Wish List, and my brother-in-law very kindly bought it for me, so I feel somewhat churlish in writing anything but a favourable review. However, I cannot in all honesty say much positive about this publication; as another reviewer has said, it is puerile pretty much throughout. The humour tends to be at the expense of others who are not in a position to put their point of view, either because they are deceased or because this is, after all, just a book so no conversation is possible. There are typos throughout (granted, I could give the average proof-reader a headache, but still...), a German translation of "Jabberwocky" is missing the final line, and the writer breaks several of his own avowed (albeit tongue-in-cheek) rules for writing better English.

The writer compares his illustrator to E. H. Shepard, who must be creating a faint whirring noise by spinning in his grave. The illustrations appear to be generated on a computer, not by hand. Clip art it ain't, but it's not Winnie the Pooh, either.

There are plus sides: it smells pleasant; it feels good in the hand; the paper is fairly high quality. Just don't don't judge this book by its cover.