5.0 out of 5 stars Great crime series with Lilly Valentine
I'm not usually a crime fan - the trend for diabolically evil serial killers and increasingly extreme murders puts me off - but Helen Black is a totally refreshing, different cup of tea.

Published on 22 Oct 2012 by beccalikesbooks

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, with one exception!
Published on 18 May 2011 by Best Crime Books

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, with one exception!, 18 May 2011
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Blood Rush (Paperback)
I read Helen Black's last book and can honestly say that I like the character Lily Valentine and in this book it was no different. The book opens up with a scene that is familiar for those living or working in and around various parts of the country. Sadly for me it was something that was so realistic I could have read about it in the local newspaper. Local gangs fighting and a young girl sadly becoming a victim of her own surroundings.

Helen Black doesn't hold back in her descriptive narrative and I found myself wincing after the first few chapters. However, this sets the scene for the sort of case that Lily takes on. Lily's personal life is a major factor to the story as her ex-partner Jack gets involved on the other side of the case. He is trying to prove a girls intent to murder, whilst Lily is trying to defend her.

The story continues at a good pace and it soon becomes clear that this case is a lot more involved and includes people a lot higher up the food chain than girls that are part of a local gang. The story from start to finish was very authentic and like I said before, not that hard to imagine being part of your local news report. I particularly like the fact that we see all perspectives of the case, from the police, to the lawyer and also both the victim and the accused.

The book wasn't that big an offering at only 320 pages but Helen Black managed to pack it full from start to finish. I think overall the gritty realism of this story makes it much better than her last offering and for that I was really pleased. I think towards the latter part of the book it really picked up pace and the ending was wrapped up nicely but there was one thing that bothered me. The `major reveal' of the person behind a particular murder didn't make sense to me. I had to go back and re-read the part where it was explained as I couldn't quite imagine the physical murderer being able to do it the way it was written. On reflection, maybe I am being a little too critical there, but the fact that I had to go back and re-read that section means it lost a little of its sparkle from my perspective.

I will still pre-order her next offering as I can't wait to see where Lily's life and career goes next so from that view it was a great overall read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great crime series with Lilly Valentine, 22 Oct 2012
This review is from: Blood Rush (Paperback)

Lilly Valentine is a chaotic single-mum lawyer who can barely organise her love life, let alone her paperwork. She is warm, clever, unintentionally hilarious and also brilliant at her job, representing underprivileged teens in a rough part of Luton. When her client Tanisha is accused of what seems to be a gang-related attempted murder, Lilly plunges into the dark world of gang initiations, drug-dealing, long-held grudges and deadly secrets.

It is gritty and real, but not altogether bleak, which is helped by Black's sparky, smart writing. The teenagers Black depicts are complex and honest - both dangerous and vulnerable - not cardboard cutouts, and you can tell that the author really sympathises with them but without being patronising. It is a fast-paced, gripping drama, and you are never sure which teenager to believe, or who the real victim is. The structure is well-layered - as well as the main investigation, there is much about Lilly's home life, where her will-they-won't-they relationship with her ex-husband is complicated by the fact that he is representing the accuser, as well as a really touching sub plot about a posh boy called Jamie whose slowly-revealed troubles lead him to run away from his boarding school and slip into the Luton drug scene.

Altogether a good read, and I'm looking forward to the next in the series as I think some interesting seeds for development have been sown for Lilly and her family.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 21 Aug 2011
This review is from: Blood Rush (Paperback)
this book was great it started full of excitment was full of action from start to finish could not put it down

5.0 out of 5 stars blood rush, 21 Feb 2012
This review is from: Blood Rush (Paperback)
very good book a very good read, have read all her books and find them very easy reading. Look forward to the next one

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 10 Sep 2011
Ellieatkinson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Rush (Paperback)
this book was brill ive read all her books now i cudnt put it down cant wait for the nxt one out shes better than martina cole any day

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill read !!!!!!!!!, 8 Mar 2012
This review is from: Blood Rush (Paperback)
Could not put it down, a great read for anyone who loves this kinda stuff. Also Helen's other books are a good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 7 July 2014
fantastic

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Blood Rush (Paperback)
This is a new author to me & enjoyed book immensely. I would read more of her books. This was a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: Blood Rush (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed the fantastic books I have read by Helen Black looking forward to next book thanks top marks for thrilling exciting and gripping books

5.0 out of 5 stars Blood rush, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Blood Rush (Kindle Edition)
This book is worth 5stars,everything came together felt I was there,allready told a friend to read it ,and will tell more of my friends tomorrow.

Blood Rush
Blood Rush by Helen Black (Paperback - 21 April 2011)