5.0 out of 5 stars Midnight Breed Series Book 8
Published on 15 Nov. 2010 by Sarah (Feeling Fictional)

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but not as good as the other books in the series
Published on 7 Jan. 2011 by Andromeda

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Midnight Breed Series Book 8, 15 Nov. 2010
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Taken by Midnight (Midnight Breed) (Paperback)
Taken by Midnight is the 8th book in the Midnight Breed series so although this review won't contain spoilers for this story it may include information from previous books. You might want to skip reading this review if you're not up to date with the series. If you haven't discovered this series yet then it is one I would highly recommend, it is by far my favorite paranormal romance series & the books have continued to improve with every new release with Taken by Midnight now my new favorite book in the series.

This story continues right after the ending of Shades of Midnight with Jenna having just been rescued from the Ancient who was holding her prisoner in her home in Alaska. She has been taken back to the Order's compound in Boston to recover and is being cared for by her best friend Alex and the warrior Brock. Brock has the ability to take away people's pain by absorbing it into himself which is something that Jenna has been badly in need of during her recovery. Since her escape from the Ancient Jenna has been going through some surprising physical changes, nobody knows quite what is happening to her and it is up to the Order to try and solve the mystery.

Anyone who knows me can tell you that I'm a massive fan of this series, it was my first introduction to the world of paranormal romance but remains a firm favorite. People tend to compare this series to JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series and although there are some similarities I only really found that noticeable in the first couple of books. These are both series that I love but for me the Midnight Breed series comes out on top in any direct comparison. Lara Adrian writes great stories with fabulous romance and and interesting, suspenseful story arc that has had me hooked from the beginning. I love the fact that both the heros and the heroines have important parts to play in the overall story and we get to see all of the previous characters make regular appearances.

Jenna is probably my favorite of Lara's heroines, she is a strong character who has been through a lot but has managed to survive. She's a tough cookie who has always had to work extra hard in her job as a police officer to prove she is as good as any man and she doesn't like to show any weakness or want to have to rely on anyone for help. Although she has a tough outer shell she is much softer underneath and could really use a bit of looking after and Brock is the ideal man for the job. Both of them have suffered from losses in their lives and understand how the other is feeling - they really are the perfect match for each other.

Brock is a newer member of the Order and one that we hadn't been given much information about until the last book in the series. We know him as a tough warrior who loves trading snarky comments with Kade but in Taken by Midnight we get to see a much more sensitive side to him. He is so caring towards Jenna and some of the scenes between them will melt your heart. The passion between them is intense from the start (the shower scene is particularly memorable!) but neither of them are looking for long term commitment. Their relationship develops in a completely believable way and I loved watching Jenna and Brock together.

As for the ongoing war between the Order and Dragos things are really hotting up so expect plenty of action on that front. We get the answers to some of the questions raised in previous books but there are also new questions raised & I'm particularly looking forward to finding out more about what is happening with Jenna and the effect that may have in the future. I enjoyed the build up for Hunters book which is coming next, he is a really interesting character and I'm looking forward to meeting the woman who will get under his skin. There were some great scenes with Hunter and Brock but I especially loved one scene with Hunter & Mira where we get to see a new side to the aloof warrior. It seems like a really long wait until Deeper than Midnight!

Overall I think any fans of the series will love Taken by Midnight, it is the perfect combination of suspense and romance that is both sweet and erotic. I loved getting to see snippets of the Order's daily lives and spending time with the characters from the previous books but that didn't take anything away from the relationship between Brock & Jenna. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book & would recommend this series to all fans of paranormal romance.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but not as good as the other books in the series, 7 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Taken by Midnight (Midnight Breed) (Paperback)
I have enjoyed this series although I disagree with another reviewer that its better than JR Ward's BDB.... (it's all subjective though). This series, unlike Ward's, seems a bit more formulaic and the characters don't pull me in like most of the BDB or even the main character's in Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series. I dont think the writing is as good as NS or JRW either but for some light escapism, it's a bit of fun. IMO, it's a lighter series with less complex character development than the other series by NS and JRW.

I would say though that the earlier books in the series - particularly the first one and Dante's story were the strongest in these series. I found this one to be one of the weaker ones. Unlike others, I'm not that anxious for Hunter's book - I dont feel like he's been built up enought for me to be that interested yet - but I'm open to being pleasantly surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great story from the Midnight Breed series, 28 April 2012
I have read and enjoyed all of the previous books in the series and I would recommend that they are read from book one on. They are well worth it. I originally reviewed book 4 on Amazon while considering buying it, and took advice from the reviewers to read the series in order and so bought book one first. Having now read book 8, and with 9 and 10 on my kindle at the ready, you could say I'm well and truly hooked.

This one kept me entertained and captivated in the same way all the others have. I won't go into detail on the plot as other reviews have already done so, i just want to say that I loved it and as with all of the other books in the series so far, I was sorry that it ended because I was enjoying it so much. I will be sad when I come to the end of the series.

I haven't read any books by JR Ward as mentioned by other reviewers so I cannot compare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brock, 8 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Taken by Midnight (Midnight Breed) (Paperback)
I think this book of Jenna and Brock was great and i can't really add to the review all ready here i wish i didn't have to wait so long though for the next one because i really love these Midnight Breed books, they are like a family trying to do good for us mere humans, love them, One point though as my Brock is African American why wasn't he on the front of the book, would have loved to have thought what he looked like when i was reading the book. Loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good addition, as it moves the series on a lot...but not as hot as I expected..., 17 Oct. 2010
Roroblu's Mum "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This was for me, Brock's long-awaited tale, and don't get me wrong, it was good...but IMHO, it didn't quite hit the spot that Shades of Midnight, directly before this one, did. It takes place immediately after SoM, and it is great to see that Alex and Kade are already mated and living their HEA.

Brock, the African American Breed warrior with the gift of drawing away pain meets his match in Jenna Darrow, ex-Alaskan State Trooper, and friend of Alex from the previous tale. It's been four years since she lost her husband and daughter, and during this time she has only existed listlessly, not lived. It was her late brother who was the corrupt cop in Alex's tale, and as the tale starts, she is being tended to by Brock, having been injured by the Ancient, who the Breeds now believe to be dead.

Jenna, as far as initial tests show, is entirely human, but she exhibits supernatural strength and seemingly comes out of a coma after 5 days with full strength and no muscle loss or weakness of any sort, so more and more tests are done, but it is clear that she is not a Breedmate, as she does not have the mark, but her changing-by-the-hour DNA indicates that she is...something else.

Dragos moves up his attacks against the Breeds in this book, targeting Gen One Breeds and seeming to have minions in the FBI, in local law enforcement, and even in an elderly, evil, cackling, bloodthirsty nun!, that do his bidding, and through Dragos' machinations, Brock is the knight in shining armour who rescues an abducted Jenna in broad daylight, ending up nearly blinded and badly burned, and it is then that she starts to really trust him and admits her feelings for him...but then his 'dead' love turns up...

The tale ialso introduced (apologies if I am mistaken and he's been mentioned before, but he gets quite a lot of mention here) Mathias, an ex-colleague of Sterling Chase's, who is the latter's insider in the local police department, and from the way in which he was described and his role that is now potentially exposed, I did wonder whether he might be the next to join the Breeds... We also find out a bit more about Hunter, the Breed created by Dragos to hunt down the Breeds, and who is now part of the Midnight Breeds them himself, and the author made him sound interesting and unusual in a totally unexpected way that it made me check if his would be the next tale, and yes, it is, and I for one can't wait. That promises to be hot, and that unexpected thing I mentioned - well, that's going to be part of the heat!!

Why I felt that this book lacked a bit of heat is that the love scenes between Brock and Jenna, whilst smoking hot, were few and far between - 3 in total that I recall + 1 that didn't get off the ground because they were interrupted, including the one in the epilogue, but I understand that because this was a fast-moving tale, there really wasn't that much time for them to be together all that much. That and because Jenna was injured at the start and then injured again when she was abducted, and also due to the fact that as she isn't a born Breedmate, Brock didn't think that he had a chance of a future with her, and finally, because she's been entirely celibate since her husband died...things had to move a touch more slowly.

It was good to catch up with the characters from the previous novels, as most of those live at the Breeds compound, but there was even mention of Nikolai & Renata and Andreas & Claire, and I for one love it when I see past leads living their HEA, complete with one couple about to have a baby. This is one of the tales that you would end up confused with if you've not read the series in order, as pretty much every pair of previous leads is mentioned.

Overfall, it was still a very good read, it showed where the series is heading, and gave us insight into at both Hunter, and Chase, who gets his tale after Hunter. I have no idea who their Breedmates will be...but at least 25 abducted-and-presumed-dead Breedmates get rescued in this book, so there's plenty to choose from = potentially several more books. YEAH, PLEASE!!! Who knows, maybe one of the Breeds may end up giving Brock's 'dead' love her HEA?

5.0 out of 5 stars taken by midnight, 3 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Taken by Midnight (Midnight Breed) (Paperback)
a really good book by lara adrian well worth reading carn't wait for the next one keep writing them lara

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable ,sexy story., 1 Jan. 2012
fudggie girl (wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Taken by Midnight (Midnight Breed) (Paperback)
The eighth book in The Midnight Breed series comes after the story of Kade and Alex and carrys on into the story of Jenna and Brock.I won't bother telling you what happens as the first couple of reviews just about tells you most of the story and dosn't leave many suprises.When i first started reading it i thought it was a bit'samey'as the previous books but once i got into it i quite enjoyed it.
I love this series but i prefer the Black Dagger Series by J.R Ward because there the stories have more depth and we are shown where the vampires get to be the warriors they are today.I don't feel that the Midnight Breed warriors lives before the Order are develped enough to give us a good sense of who they are.That's not to say i didn't enjoy the book,i did.
I did notice the cover but it was the story i was interested in and it didn't bother me at all.The reviews should be about the story inside the cover.

4.0 out of 5 stars Taken by Midnight, 20 April 2012
This review is from: Taken by Midnight (Midnight Breed) (Paperback)
Although I liked this book, I struggled with it at first. Put it down and tried again later. I have been reading the Lara Adrian books constantly and wondered if I had had a glut of them so maybe my review is not as favourable as it might have been.
I have more books in this series to read, so it hasnt put me off. Please try them and read them in order of the storyline . This I recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Taken by Midnight - yes please, 9 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Taken by Midnight (Midnight Breed) (Paperback)
Really enjoyed this book - have enjoyed all the books in this series and can't wait for the new one later on in 2012.
My only negative comment would be that as one of the main characters - Brock - is black please publishers make the front of the book look like you have actually had someone read the inside!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 April 2014
Oooh what a twist, brilliant. This series just gets better and better. Just brilliant. Again Lara Adrian takes you through a roller coaster of emotions. This is definitely up there with The Black Dagger Brotherhood & the Dark Carpathian series for me, maybe even better dare I say.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Taken by Midnight (Midnight Breed)
Taken by Midnight (Midnight Breed) by Lara Adrian (Paperback - 4 Nov. 2010)