5.0 out of 5 stars really enjoyable
Published on 22 Sep 2006 by J. Mason

3.0 out of 5 stars An Edwardian Caper
I very much enjoyed reading the first book in the series, but this story was just OTT.
If the Three Stooges or the Marx Brothers would have made a film out of this book and played the main characters, I would have laughed a lot. As it was, this was not suppose to be a funny comic book. At least, I don't think so.

Too many things happened in a very short...
Published on 29 Aug 2010 by Bookworm

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars really enjoyable, 22 Sep 2006
J. Mason - See all my reviews
This is the second book in Edwardian Murder Mysteries, (the first is Snobbery With Violence). I find these books really easy to read and I love them. Marion Chesney is such a gifted storyteller and there is something so effortless about her writing, though I am mainly familiar with her work under the name MC Beaton, and I think those who like her Agatha Raisin and Hamish Macbeth books would enjoy this. I think its just as good.

3.0 out of 5 stars An Edwardian Caper, 29 Aug 2010
This review is from: Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mystery Series, Book 2) (Paperback)

Too many things happened in a very short time, all of which were rather unbelievable: Lady Rose and Daisy go to work; Lady Rose goes into an asylum; Daisy learns to pick locks in no time; Daisy rescues Lady Rose and they shoot their way out of the asylum. And that's just for starters.
And I can't, for a minute, picture Harry being the kind of person who shoots a man to save a lady in danger, and then wants to hide the body, thinking of putting the dead man into a shallow grave somewhere in the woods. That seemed rather out of character, I thought.

It wasn't a bad book to read, but I did enjoy the first one so much more.

2.0 out of 5 stars M. C. Beaton's books, 21 Nov 2010
Mrs. J. B. Coombs "Joan" (Bristol , England) - See all my reviews
I bought this book to make sure that the series was not the sort I like. My own fault, as I expected it to be as good as her other series, Hamish Macbeth and Agatha Raisin. I have read two in this series and did not like them at all. They were stilted and unreal. Even though fiction, it must be believable. I think perhaps she should stick with modern venues and not venture into the past.

4.0 out of 5 stars Second in a series of comedy romantic murder mysteries, 4 Mar 2007
Marshall Lord (Whitehaven, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hasty Death (Hardcover)
This is the second in a series of murder mysteries set in Britain in the first decade of the 20th century featuring Captain Harry Cathcart and Lady Rose Summer.

To date there are four books in the series, which are

Snobbery with Violence
Hasty Death
Sick of Shadows
Our Lady of Pain

The author writes romantic fiction, mostly humorous regency romances plus one or two set in the Edwardian period, under the name Marion Chesney, and mystery/detective stories such as the Agatha Raisin and Hamish MacBeth series under the name M.C. Beaton.

This Edwardian series is a something of a cross-over between the two - part romance and part murder mystery - and the books often have both names on the cover (usually something like "M.C. Beaton writing as Marion Chesney".)

In this second book, Lady Rose Summer gets so fed up with being an ornament to society that she wants to get a job. Captain Cathcart very discreetly arranges for Rose and her maid, Daisy, to work as typists at a bank under false names. While they are working there, Rose discovers by chance that a young gentleman who has just been murdered, Freddy Pomfret, had banked three very large sums of money from other aristocrats.

Had Freddy been blackmailing them, and is that why he was murdered? So Lady Rose goes the police and offers to help find the murderer.

However, her parents have other plans to deal with their wayward daughter - which unbeknown to them are a threat to her life ...

Tha main characters in the series are:

Captain Harry Cathcart, younger son of a Baron, has left the army after being injured in the Boer war. At the start of the first book he carried out a service for Lady Rose's father, the Earl of Hadfield, for which he gained a reputation as a fixer to the aristocracy, and by the time of this book he has formally gone into business as the Edwardian equivalent of a Private Investigator. Some members of "Society" look down on him as being "in trade" because he is earning a living, but as he is often very useful to them most aristocrats tend to overlook this.

Lady Rose Summer is the only surviving child of the Earl and Countess of Hadfield. She is slightly notorious as having briefly been involved with suffragettes, but after each successive scandal dies away she is usually sought after again as a wealthy heiress. Chafes at the fact that society will not allow her to perform a useful role, and constantly looking for something more challenging to do - from working as a typist for a bank to helping the police solve murders.

Beckett - Harry's valet: in love with Daisy

Daisy - Lady Rose's maid. A former chorus girl, but when Captain Cathcart recruited her to play the role of a maid with a contagious disease as one of the escapades in the first book, Lady Rose took Daisy on to do the job of her maid for real. In love with Beckett.

Detective Superintendent Kerridge - a senior policeman of humble origins and carefully supressed radical views, reinforced by the fact that whenever he has to interview an aristocrat they always threaten to report him to the Prime Minister. Plays Inspector Slack to Lady Rose's Miss Marple.

Despite that comparison, this is not in the same league as Agatha Christie as a detective story, and neither is it in the same league as Jane Austen as a romance. However, it is an amusing and entertaining light read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hasty Death, 31 Mar 2011
Once again M C Beaton has got it just right with this story. Following on from Snobbery wiith Violence the same main characters appear and I was hooked once again. A lovely relaxing read and I can't wait to read the next in the series. Thoroughly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Agatha's forebears, 27 Feb 2010
This review is from: Hasty Death (Hardcover)
By Agatha, I mean Raisin rather than Christie. A gentle contemporay sense of the mildly absurd is the keynote of good light bedtime or travel comfort reading. I have enjoyed the modern Cotswold silliness and honesty of MC Beaton's Raisin soapy whodunnits, and when I realised that Chesney was the same author in a different hat, I took on board this golden age style upper crust read. Good fun, period setting but recognisable frailties. Serves me well for some grown up self indulgences, and good enough for my me-time after the family has been fed, watered and tucked in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Devoured faster than Mrs Trumpington's meals!!!, 7 Jan 2012
pacem et amorem (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hasty Death (Kindle Edition)
I devoured this book as voraciously as Mrs Teddy Trumpington devours meals! After reading the first of MC Beaton's Edwardian Murder Mysteries in just over a day, I finished this even faster. I could scarcely bear to be parted from it and wasn't satisfied until I had reached the final page, whereupon, I subsequently started the third instalment of the series.
I know that some reviewers did not like this book and, indeed, do not like this series of Beaton tales. I, however, love them and wish there were more to buy!
A lot happens in this story and I will not, unlike some other reviewers, include what could be seen as spoilers. What I will say is this ... if you want an enjoyable read, an exciting romp through an Edwardian society mystery, then this is for you and you won't be disappointed. I know I wasn't! Now to get back to book 3 .........

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Reading, 7 Mar 2011
M C Beaton - absolutely on form with this one. Once I started this book I just kept going and read it in one session. Then purchased the rest of the series of four. They just get better. Carry on writing please Ms Beaton. Pure entertainment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 14 Dec 2010
I bought this book for my mum she loves Edwardian mysteries and she really enjoyed it would recommend it as a good buy and value for money

3.0 out of 5 stars Not in the same league as the Agatha books, 29 May 2014
I was very disapointed in this book and struggled to finish it as it is certainly not in the same league as the Agatha Raison books. I know its set in a differant time but it jst didn't work for me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mystery Series, Book 2)
Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mystery Series, Book 2) by M.C. Beaton (Paperback - 26 Aug 2010)
5.24