5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping Up Appearances
I must admit that I am a fan of the Agatha Raisin books, but so far I haven't read an Hamish Macbeth novel and I only heard about these being re-issued by I think it was chelle, on one of the discussion boards. So thank you young lady.

Published on 25 Aug. 2010 by M. Dowden

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 Stars Max.
Published on 10 Feb. 2012 by Gillian

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping Up Appearances, 25 Aug. 2010
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Snobbery with Violence (Edwardian Murder Mystery Series 1) (Paperback)

I thought I would try one to see what it was like, and as this is the first in the series it seemed a good place to start. I think there are only three or four books in the series because apparently M C Beaton stopped writing them due to the stresses and strains of coming up for ideas for her more famous two series'. This is set in Edwardian times where we meet Lady Rose, a young woman who has caused a bit of a ruckus by getting herself involved in the Suffragette Movement. When a man of good standing starts to make advances to her her father is a bit suspicious and thus is referred to Captain Harry Cathcart. Harry did espionage work in the Boer War and apart from coming from a good family, is considered to be highly discreet. Of course what Harry finds out about Rose's suitor doesn't go down too well with Rose who causes a public scene. But as word gets around Harry finds he is making money as the nobs call on him to sort out a whole host of problems. If you need to rough someone up or retrieve things, if you need a bit of help, there is Harry. Helping Rose's father again he introduces Daisy, a chorus girl to the family and Rose takes to her and trains her up to be her maid.

Rose is then invited to a house party at Telby Castle, not knowing that parents have paid for this so as to get their offspring married, this is the last chance as the season is over. When a guest turns up dead then the Hedley's, owners of Telby Castle call in Harry to hush things up. But when a maid disappears as well, only to be discovered dead, and Rose is attacked, will Harry cover it up? Or will he join forces with Rose to get to the bottom of this, along with police?

With the snobbery of the upper classes, and the shennigans in the country house, this is a great little romp through Edwardian England that will keep you engrossed and chuckling away. Well worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars First in a series of comedy romantic murder mysteries, 4 Mar. 2007
Marshall Lord (Whitehaven, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Snobbery with Violence (Hardcover)
This is the first of a series of murder mysteries set in Britain in the first decade of the 20th century featuring Captain Harry Cathcart and Lady Rose Summer.

To date there are four books in the series, which are

Snobbery with Violence
Hasty Death
Sick of Shadows
Our Lady of Pain

The author writes romantic fiction, mostly humorous regency romances plus one or two set in the Edwardian period, under the name Marion Chesney, and mystery/detective stories such as the Agatha Raisin and Hamish MacBeth series under the name M.C. Beaton.

This Edwardian series is a something of a cross-over between the two - part romance and part murder mystery - and the books often have both names on the cover (usually something like "M.C. Beaton writing as Marion Chesney.")

Tha main characters in the series are:

Captain Harry Cathcart, younger son of a Baron, has left the army after being injured in the Boer war. At the start of this book he carries out a service for Lady Rose's father, the Earl of Hadfield, for which he gains a reputation as a fixer, and eventually formally goes into business as the Edwardian equivalent of a Private Investigator

Lady Rose Summer, only daughter of the Earl and Countess of Hadfield, is slightly notorious as having briefly been involved with suffragettes. Chafes at the fact that society will not allow her a useful role, and when she is present at a murder, Lady Rose uses her considerable intellect to help solve it.

Detective Superintendent Kerridge is a senior policeman of humble origins and carefully supressed radical views, reinforced by the fact that whenever he has to interview an aristocrat they always threaten to report him to the Prime Minister. Plays Inspector Slack to Lady Rose's Miss Marple.

Despite that comparison, this is not in the same league as Agatha Christie as a detective story, and neither is it in the same league as Jane Austen as a romance. However, it is an amusing and entertaining light read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad I read it., 1 Nov. 2010
I usually avoid these books set in the past. However, I have read several Agatha Raisin stories and one of the Hamish McBeth stories and thought I would try it.
I really enjoyed it - it made me giggle out loud as I was reading and I am now looking for the next book in the series!
The only bad thing is that now I have to buy these books as well as the Agatha and Hamish books!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lady Rose's debut -, 2 Nov. 2010
This is a light read and I found it funny. It is ideal to pick up when you are bored with the TV. Lady Rose's sheltered life leads to her making decisions with unforseen consenquences for herself and the people around her. It pokes fun at the upper class way of life as well as being a light hearted murder mystery.

4.0 out of 5 stars A FUN COZY MYSTERY SET IN EDWARDIAN ENGLAND..., 23 Aug. 2010
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I am a huge fan of the author's two other mystery series, that of Agatha Raisin and that of Hamish Macbeth, which she writes under the name M.C. Beaton. So, when I saw that the author had written an Edwardian murder mystery series, I decided to read the series. I confess that I am hooked on this series, as well.

It is a lighthearted mystery and a romp through Edwardian social mores. The author introduces the reader to the highly spirited Lady Rose Summer, who is the well-educated, outspoken, and beautiful daughter of a fabulously wealthy earl. Due to her suffragette leanings, however, Lady Rose is having a rough season as a debutante, when she finds herself romanced by the handsome Sir Geoffrey Blandon, who seems to be dragging his heels in terms of making a proposal. Her father, suspicious of his daughter's suitor who has only just returned to England after a four year hiatus in the States, calls upon Captain Harry Cathcart to discreetly investigate him. Recently returned from the Boer War, Captain Cathcart is a gentleman who is in somewhat financial straits. So, he undertakes the commission.

Due to the subsequent scandal surrounding her ill-fated romance, Lady Rose finds herself reluctantly attending a house party being held at Telby Castle by the Marques and Marchioness of Hedley for women whose matrimonial prospects have been dampened by the vicissitudes of fate. When murder strikes at Telby Castle, Lady Rose finds herself immersed in the mystery, and Captain Cathcart reappears in her life as a guest at the castle. Lady Rose and the Captain collaborate in finding out the truth when, suddenly, another murder occurs, and it becomes a matter of life or death for Lady Rose.

The main characters are likable, as are the secondary ones. The book is light-hearted and fast paced, and the mystery is really not the driving force of the book. What makes the book most enjoyable are the characters and their interactions with each other, as do the period details that are laced throughout. The book is a good addition to the genre of the cozy mystery. I look forward to reading the next one.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 Stars Max., 10 Feb. 2012
I truly don't understand how this book has such high ratings. The characters are barely likable, in fact, they complain incessantly like teenagers throughout the whole series. The main character Lady Rose Summer is such a snob it's almost unbearable. Her flightiness and her easy declarations of how much she 'hates' Captain Cathcart one minute and loves him the next gets extremely tiresome after awhile. Unfortunately for me, when I get a series I have to read all of them and after reading the four books in this series, I can honestly say that I wish I hadn't wasted my time. I kept expecting the books to get consecutively better to no avail. The ending of the series isn't worth the annoyance I felt reading these books.
The murders are interesting (which is why I gave 3 stars instead of 2) and I did enjoy solving them with Lady Rose and Captain Cathcart but after awhile the plot-line of Lady Rose putting herself in danger to get the last clue just gets overdone! I can completely understand Captain Cathcart's disgust/anger with her.
These books were recommended to me because I enjoyed Deanna Raybourn's series, but I have to say that Ms. Raybourn's books are on a completely other level than this series by M.C. Beaton.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read and good fun - I am surprised!, 3 Jan. 2011
I am not in to series books and felt this would probably disappoint but it was on offer & I can't resist a bargain. This was great! It was not pretentious but managed to provide a fun social commentary in to Edwardian life which slowed the plot down but actually wasn't frustrating. I suppose with a series time spent developing character and place reeps benefts for loyal readers later on, like a soap, I'll let you know! If you want a series or a one off it does the job well and enjoyably. A lovely experience, great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Murder, Mystery and Edwardian Manners ......, 7 Jan. 2012
pacem et amorem (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I bought this and finished it in just over a day as I found it almost impossible to put down. I have since finished the second instalment of the series and am starting the third. I bought it having already read some of Beaton's Agatha Raisin books and thought I would give it a go. I wasn't really sure what to expect but I am delighted I took the plunge and bought them. I just wish there were more to buy than the four that make up the complete series.
Some reviewers have complained about characterisation, improbable plots etc. I enjoyed this as an Edwardian romp, with a heroine seemingly born before her time and as unable to see the perfection of a match with the hero as he is.
Simply and sublimely wonderful!

2.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight but passed a hour or two, 27 Jan. 2011
Not up to the standard of Anne Perry. I found the characters silly and unbelievable - more Mills and Boon than anything else. I liked the Hamish MacBeth ones so was disappointed with this. I won't read another.

4.0 out of 5 stars Snobbery with violence, 8 Jan. 2011
Witty amusing and quirky, murder and mayhem in a fake castle, with some very fake guests. Liked the twist concluding the story, ideal TV fodder more than the book.

Snobbery with Violence (Edwardian Murder Mystery Series 1)
Snobbery with Violence (Edwardian Murder Mystery Series 1) by M.C. Beaton (Paperback - 26 Aug. 2010)