5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on depression I've come across
This book helped to completely change my understanding of depression and psychology in general. The biological/evolutionary and social explanation Mr. Gilbert offers for depression is something I have encountered nowhere else, yet is so basic and elemental and makes complete sense. This book clarified and simplified what was for me a dark, scary, overwhelming mystery,...
Published on 20 Mar 2006 by ssenerch2

2.0 out of 5 stars too much fashionable talk, Fennell more concise and practical
Having suffered periods of depression with occasional hospitalisation in the past thirty years I have been stable and episode-free this past few years, though with occasional "warnings" of mind-change that prompt corrective action being taken. I have basically learned how to manage myself, or at least the need to do so. After one such "warning" earlier this year I bought...
Published 6 months ago by Tom Older

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 10 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A must Reading!!!, 9 Dec 2012
Simone (CHERTSEY, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Overcoming Depression: A self- help guide using Cognitive Behavioural Techniques (Paperback)
Everyone with depression or not must read this book.
The author touches on many important subjects such as projection, forgiveness, being understanding towards ourselves, jealousy, assertiveness, grief, dysfunctional childhood, and many others.
I highly recommend this book for everyone. The author explains many issues we all have in life even if we suffer from depression or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 Oct 2012
Found this book by accident -but so glad I did. Great self help aid for everyone -those suffering from depression -their relatives and loved ones , and those who would like to help prevent the onslought of depression.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for depression, 14 July 2012
This book is the only book I have managed to find that goes into great depth about depression. Beating depression is not just about getting out more, etc. It's good to know the causes and how depression affects us all. Each chapter gave a lot about depression.

It has made me more self aware about my depression. Would highly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars must read, 13 Mar 2012
a very good book that really does self help but also explains in lay mans terms why the mind and body reacts it can be picked up any time and re inforced

4.0 out of 5 stars Overcoming Depression, 28 April 2009
J. H. Roberts - See all my reviews
The service for my prompt was very quick and very efficient,I highly recommend the book

4.0 out of 5 stars handy reference, 9 Mar 2009
Mr. D. V. Burrage (norfolk,england) - See all my reviews
was advised to buy this book and glad i did as can refer to it as and when required also very helpful whilst suffering with depression happy to reccomend

5.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting book, 3 Aug 2000
By A Customer
This book provides actual case studies and the author paid much attention to detail. It is a great guide for understanding depression and shows helpful techniques how to overcome depression, even in its early "innocent" stages. Another book that is extremely helpful and that I highly recommend is Dietmar Scherf's "I Love Me: Avoiding and Overcoming Depression."

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for the truely depressed, 6 April 2006
I bought this book when I hit the lowest point of my depression, in an attempt to 'self-help' my way out of it. The thing is that when you are truely depressed, you don't feel like helping yourself, and so although the book provides some helpful insights into depression and its causes, and the ways that thinking can interact with your mood, it was far too complicated and long for someone that was so depressed. The exercises at the end of each chapter are not simple, just trying to learn them consumed so much of the little energy I had.
I ended up giving up on the book and seeking some alternative help from the doctors and a counsellor... which was money much better spent, as I am back to my usual self now.
Depression is so complex, and personal, that often you need an objective opinion that you just can't get from reading a book and attempting exercises on your own. If you are depressed, better to share that with people, rather than attempt to struggle with it on your own.
The book did practically nothing for me. It may be useful for some people, perhaps with mild depression, or even some severly depressed people, but my advice is don't bother with it, get the proper help that you need.

3.0 out of 5 stars Much longer than I was expecting, 17 Oct 2012
I was quite disappointed by this book. The Anxiety book from the same series is short and concise with clear exercises and actions but this book is a much longer study on the causes of depression (although you can skip that chapter)and possible solutions. Exercises are explained in detail with many examples and too much repetition which is annoying if you are at all familar with CBT, mindfulness etc. Great if that is what you want but it's not the quick and concise guide to using CBT I was expecting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for every depressed person, 1 Aug 2012
M. Morton "A Reader" (UK) - See all my reviews
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is very much in vogue, not least because it is relatively cheap to provide. Politicians and Health Service managers/accountants talk it up. It claims a scientific foundation, but is not dissimilar to the 'new thought' and 'positive thinking' therapies that go back to the late 19th Century. My view is that these approaches can be very helpful, but only to some people.

If you are clinically depressed, this book may help you. I hope so, and it is definitely worth a look. However, it will leave other depressed people cold. It certainly did me. The very thought of the prescribed CBT processes leaves me exhausted.

Also, as somebody trained in philosophy/theology, I think that CBT can be rather glib. If a CBT therapist was to recommend his/her thoughts to me, I might be tempted to refer him/her to Kierkegaard or Sartre.

For anybody who is seriously depressed, this book is worth the few pounds it costs. If, like me, you find it a bit annoying, please take heart. There are other solutions out there!

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 10 | Next ›