5.0 out of 5 stars Wesley - an extraordinary owl, an extraordinary book
Published on 27 Sept. 2009 by JM Archer

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a let down
I must say I was really looking forward to reading this book but felt it could have been better. I skipped a few pages when the author was not talking about Wesley, I found parts of the book boring but I did finish it, it was a little sad at the end but I was expecting that. Im not quite sure why I didnt enjoy this book. It just didnt grab my attention.
Published 20 months ago by cruise queen

5.0 out of 5 stars Wesley - an extraordinary owl, an extraordinary book, 27 Sept. 2009
JM Archer "Magpie bird" (Kazakhstan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wesley: The Story of a Remarkable Owl (Paperback)
You will never read another book like this one. Nineteen years of intimate friendship between a barn owl with a complex, intelligent character, and an observant, witty young woman with a gift for narrative. Wesley was never tamed, he was a wild animal to the end, but few domestic animals form such a bond with a human being. Funny, sometimes scary, occasionally sad, and with surprises and insights into animal and human behavior on almost every page, Wesley is a gem of a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars wesley, 12 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Wesley: The Story of a Remarkable Owl (Paperback)
What a lovely story about the mischievous ways of this little owl and his attachment to Stacey and her devotion to this wild creature. I just loved this story and felt like reaching into the book to give Wesley a cuddle. It is very funny in parts it had me giggling to myself all the way through. There are some cute pictures of Wesley getting up to his tricks and what a little imp he is. There are 3 pages toward the back that tell you everything you need to know about barn owls so thanks Stacey for this extra information.
I look back on this as one of my best reads,full of tenderness with lots of emotional bits and lots of tissues at hand. I like the way Stacey describes where she worked, the places she lived at and visited. I have looked up these name places on my U.S.A road map, I have my own memories of these places. Thanks again Stacey for these extra bits.
I recommend this book to everyone, it would also be a good educational read for children as the story is easy to follow.
Go get this book everyone and happy reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars All sorts of interesting. Bit of a love story really., 12 April 2011
A. Woodfin (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wesley: The Story of a Remarkable Owl (Paperback)
I bought this because I am an owl fan. But this is also a bird lover's book in general. The fact about pelicans was fascinating! There's a bit of history & some about academic life and experimental scientists. The author concentrates on her extraordinary (literally) relationship with an owl unable to live in the wild; in the wild barn owls mate for life. The hints of the author's upbringing and life beyond owls, and the way she writes, makes me think she must be a very interesting person to know and spend time with. (She has musical as well as science roots by the sound of it) I can understand how she has such supportive friends (quality rather than quntity?).
Fact is stranger than fiction, no one could have made all this up. How rare is it that a human takes into their lives such a creature, on the creature's terms, as best a human can? (mind you I never quite got the reason behind why Wesley was always indoors with no outside space) It takes a very dedicated human and there is so much to learn, even from a truly different owl who actually LIKES water. Two unusual and interesting characters living an extraordinary life together. Bit of a love story really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wesley: The Remarkable Story of an Owl, 19 Nov. 2009
Lynne Bell "Linney 30" (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wesley: The Story of a Remarkable Owl (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this unusual book as it made me laugh as well as cry. It is lovingly written and I found it fascinating. I knew almost nothing about owls before I read it but thats not the case now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 25 Mar. 2010
Lance Mitchell (Hampshire, UK, Northern Hemisphere, Planet Earth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wesley: The Story of a Remarkable Owl (Paperback)
There are already dozens of reviews of this book on Amazon, so I shan't repeat the storyline for you. However, for those of you who have any feeling for the amazing stories of relationships between animals and humans, this is a "must read."

Stacey and Wesley live their lives together from the time that the owl is four days old. They form such a very strong relationship that they converse with each other, and share each other's emotions, happy and sad. The story is beautifully narrated, with sentiment, and it will make you laugh and it will make you cry.

Don't hang about waiting for me to say any more. Go and get yourself a copy and read it. I can safely say that you are more likely to thank me for that recommendation than to curse me for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Barn Owl named Wesley... a life story., 1 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Wesley: The Story of a Remarkable Owl (Paperback)
The delightful life story of a barn owl.

This story is even more remarkable and fascinating because it is told from a scientific point of view - this was the original point of Stacey O'Brien taking on this tiny owlet in the first place.

The book is a delightful read, but it is also highly informative... you are bound to learn a lot from reading the book, and will probably want to re-read it too.

I was loaned the book by a friend and bought this copy as a gift - I may also buy more copies as gifts and also another copy for myself. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wesley the Incredible Owl, 26 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Wesley: The Story of a Remarkable Owl (Paperback)
I bought Staecy's book, partly due to a recently increased interest in birdwatching, and partly because I was always known as 'Olly' as a boy (due to my surname.) This book is beautifully written. Although very intelligent anyway, Stacey develops an incredible understanding of owls, which she shares with the reader, in this lovely book.
She gives the reader so much observational intelligence that it made me feel at times, as thought I was stood in the room with her and Wesley, observing his behaviour first hand. The detail and insight she has and elaborates on, verges on the uncanny.
This book should be a 'mandatory' read for all people studying birds, and specifically owls.
I usually give paperback books away, once I've read them. In this case, I am hanging on to it, and might read it again, but really just DON'T want to 'lose' it, in case I need to refresh my memory about any aspect of Wesley's very privileged life in the care of this clever, caring lady.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wesley, 20 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Wesley (Kindle Edition)
I've been a bird enthusiast ever since a young age. I'm now 18 years old and read this book a few months ago, intended for some light reading about a subject I love. But this book became so much more than just some 'light reading'; I was glued to my kindle whenever I could be, wanting to know the next chapter of Wesley's life. The bond between this Barn Owl and his partner was incredible! However I'll issue this review with a warning: it's has a very, very sad ending. But reading about this little Owl's life was worth it. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars owlsome!, 27 Aug. 2009
Maria Salsilli (venice, italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wesley: The Story of a Remarkable Owl (Paperback)
this book is terrific. i bought it as a gift for an owl lover and ended up reading it in three days. i don't consider this animal writing literature but it was fascinating. you discover a whole new world, a very interesting one. i think that animals can give so much to humans, but we there's so much we don't know or don't care enough to know about them. so here's a good chance to learn something.

5.0 out of 5 stars Publisher's Weekly Starred Review, 13 Sept. 2008
D. Freeman (Encinitas, CA United States) - See all my reviews
From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Owls permeate literature and mythology, an ancient animal ("some 97 million years" old) that has fascinated for centuries; still, few people have had as intimate an encounter with the mysterious night birds as biologist O'Brien. As a student researcher at Caltech, she fell in love with an injured four-day-old barn owl and seized the opportunity to adopt him permanently. She named him Wesley, and for 19 years kept, cared for and studied him, forging a tremendous relationship with the still-wild animal, as well as a vast understanding of his abilities, instincts and habits: "He was my teacher, my companion, my child, my playmate, my reminder of God." Her heartwarming story is buttressed by lessons on owl folklore, temperament ("playful and inquisitive"), skills, and the brain structure that gives them some amazing abilities, like spotting a mouse "under three feet of snow by homing in on just the heartbeat." It also details her working life among fellow scientists, a serious personal health crisis, and the general ins and outs of working with animals. This memoir will captivate animal lovers and, though not necessarily for kids, should hold special appeal for Harry Potter fans who've always envied the boy wizard his Hedwig.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Wesley: The Story of a Remarkable Owl
Wesley: The Story of a Remarkable Owl by Stacey O'Brien (Paperback - 16 July 2009)