5.0 out of 5 stars Overall good...
A book written for busy parents who often struggle to find time to cook good, wholesome and tasty food for their family but in reality this is equally suitable for anyone with a hectic lifestyle or for somebody who just wants to get started with this cooking lark.

Published on 6 Mar. 2013 by I. Darren

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't stand out from the crowd.
A few good recipes but nothing to write home about.
Published 7 months ago by Kerri Robinson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall good..., 6 Mar. 2013
I. Darren (Fi) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Madhouse Cookbook: Delicious Recipes for the Busy Family Kitchen (Hardcover)

Despite speed and simplicity being the key for recipes in this book, quality is not sacrificed and neither are the recipes a variation upon a theme, using a mass of pre-prepared and pre-packaged ingredients. Of course, some shortcuts and prepare-ahead tips are provided but they still conform to the author's core values. The book is split into three key parts - Monday to Friday Survival, The Busy Weekend and Cling On To Your Social Life - with many chapters giving great advice and recipes in a chatty, informative, light style. No long navel-gazing essays here!

Full praise is due for how the recipes are presented! Someone has been listening! Measurements in both imperial and metric, a clear guide to portion sizing and even an estimation of preparation and cooking time. An essential pre-requisite for the stressed, harassed cook. Information boxes are spread throughout giving even more hints and tips to save time, save ingredients and to save money too. Photography used within is of a high quality and engaging, it is just a shame that not every recipe gets its own photograph.

Just browsing through the recipes finds some old favourites and some rather curious new things to try as well. One-Pan Hot-smoked Salmon Biryani or Ricotta, Parma Ham, Avocado & Chilli Croissants anyone? Make no mistake, whilst these recipes are family friendly they are absolutely not just recipes for children. You could serve many of these dishes for friends at an informal gathering too. The index at the end of the book also works well if you want to look up a main ingredient you have and don't know what to do with it - it is so much more than just a listing of recipes.

Once you start getting through this book and have been actively cooking for a while, you may start to wonder why you've been wasting money on pre-packaged foods from the supermarket for so long. Hopefully the author is already working on further books with even more recipes in the same vein. This is really a winning format. One final thing, this is not a dumbed-down beginners book - even the more accomplished cook may find these time-saving, tasty recipes of interest to add to their repertoire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, practical and fun, 30 April 2014
This is a great addition to our family cookbooks. Jo writes really clearly and her ideas are not complicated at all, but just greatd combinations of things, or interesting spins on recipes you know, executed well with inspiring photography too. There are also some great alternative suggestions and tips for freezing, serving leftovers etc so you feel that she appreciates the practicalities of family life in the kitchen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do I Need Another Family Cookery Book?, 3 July 2013
this was the question I asked myself when considering buying this.
Answer was obviously no in view of the number of cookery books I already have but I went ahead & bought it anyway!
So glad I did as I can already see that it will be well used in my kitchen.
I really like the format of this book. It's split into 3 main categories( Monday to Friday Survival/ The Busy Weekend / Cling Onto Your Social Life) & then each of these is split into further sections. For example, The Busy Weekend included Breakfast, Light bites,The Family Meal, Puddings, Baking & Saturday Night (Kids are Banned) recipes.
There are clear full page photo's of the majority of the recipes.Preparation & cooking times are included & the emphasis is on quick & easy meals.
I also appreciated the fact that both imperial & metric measures are listed.
This is definately one to consider if looking for a new addition to your family recipes & there are even some that could be used when entertaining.
I think overall I would say I prefer Fay Ripley's books & the great Nosh for busy Mum's & Dad's but I'm glad I have added this to my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook, 15 July 2013
I have had this cookbook for just over a week and have already made quite a few of the recipes from the 'Monday to Friday Survival' section already and have been really impressed by how good they have been to eat and how quick they have been to make. I like the fact that most of the recipes have 'lifesaver' or 'leftover' ideas and tips to help save time and avoid wasting food and that some of the recipes have ideas of how you can 'tweak' the recipe with substitute ingredients to make it slightly different which is always useful when cooking family meals so that they don't become boring. It's great to find a family recipe book that has recipes that appeal to adults and children so that everyone enjoys eating the same meal. I am sure I will be using this book for years to come!

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 31 Jan. 2014
I bought this because my weekly meals were repetitive and my 15 month old was refusing them all. I have a shelf full of cook books and I have cooked more recipes from this book in 3 weeks than I have my whole collection in all the years I've had them. I have predominantly cooked from the Monday to Friday and Busy Weekend chapters and everything has been quick, easy and tasty. The ingredient list is quite simple so no running to the supermarket for 1 off herbs, jars etc. Meals can be easily adapted by throwing in alternative veg & meat & most recipes have a tip suggesting what to do with the leftovers. This is the best family cook book I've used.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great little gem!, 26 May 2014
Fantastic book; well thought out, good layout, measurements are clear and in different units (great for metric users like us Continental types), photography is good and the little tips at the bottom of the page are mostly really inspired.

I've tried a few recipes so far and they have been perfect - a hit with everyone in the family, from husband to toddler and 7 month old baby. She might even dethroned Fay Ripley in my "Family Food Cookbook" shelf!

Definitely buying her other books now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't hesitate with this one... Buy it now!!!, 24 Mar. 2015
A must for all busy families who have created mini me foodies!!! Every recipe works out perfectly and tastes sublime. The recipes are easy to prepare, have uncomplicated ingredient lists and clear instructions! I love the tips for left overs and the range of tasty desserts! Any great cook book inspires you to get creative and this book does exactly that... I don't know what I ever did without it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 22 July 2013
Brilliant book, easy to do the recipes and most importantly the children love them too. Have been able to look through it for inspiration and make something within 45 mins in time for their dinner. Love the fact that there is a section for adults too with equal amounts of ease. Great book, recommend to anyone with a family.

4.0 out of 5 stars great book, 23 Jun. 2014
V. Smith (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
Love the meal and then following section of what to do with leftovers. Do not have many cookbooks on kindle and wish I had this in paper form. Have made the chocolate cake for birthday so far and it worked well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for all the family, 5 Nov. 2013
Just as you would expect from Jo Pratt, easy every day recipes and delicious too. My 9 year old daughter has followed some of the recipes and I have found the book very useful for inspiration too. Definitely recommend. Every recipe I try from this book gets rave reviews!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›