5.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook, 15 July 2013
This review is from: Madhouse Cookbook: Delicious Recipes for the Busy Family Kitchen (Hardcover)
I have had this cookbook for just over a week and have already made quite a few of the recipes from the 'Monday to Friday Survival' section already and have been really impressed by how good they have been to eat and how quick they have been to make. I like the fact that most of the recipes have 'lifesaver' or 'leftover' ideas and tips to help save time and avoid wasting food and that some of the recipes have ideas of how you can 'tweak' the recipe with substitute ingredients to make it slightly different which is always useful when cooking family meals so that they don't become boring. It's great to find a family recipe book that has recipes that appeal to adults and children so that everyone enjoys eating the same meal. I am sure I will be using this book for years to come!

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall good..., 6 Mar 2013
I. Darren (Fi) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
A book written for busy parents who often struggle to find time to cook good, wholesome and tasty food for their family but in reality this is equally suitable for anyone with a hectic lifestyle or for somebody who just wants to get started with this cooking lark.

Despite speed and simplicity being the key for recipes in this book, quality is not sacrificed and neither are the recipes a variation upon a theme, using a mass of pre-prepared and pre-packaged ingredients. Of course, some shortcuts and prepare-ahead tips are provided but they still conform to the author's core values. The book is split into three key parts - Monday to Friday Survival, The Busy Weekend and Cling On To Your Social Life - with many chapters giving great advice and recipes in a chatty, informative, light style. No long navel-gazing essays here!

Full praise is due for how the recipes are presented! Someone has been listening! Measurements in both imperial and metric, a clear guide to portion sizing and even an estimation of preparation and cooking time. An essential pre-requisite for the stressed, harassed cook. Information boxes are spread throughout giving even more hints and tips to save time, save ingredients and to save money too. Photography used within is of a high quality and engaging, it is just a shame that not every recipe gets its own photograph.

Just browsing through the recipes finds some old favourites and some rather curious new things to try as well. One-Pan Hot-smoked Salmon Biryani or Ricotta, Parma Ham, Avocado & Chilli Croissants anyone? Make no mistake, whilst these recipes are family friendly they are absolutely not just recipes for children. You could serve many of these dishes for friends at an informal gathering too. The index at the end of the book also works well if you want to look up a main ingredient you have and don't know what to do with it - it is so much more than just a listing of recipes.

Once you start getting through this book and have been actively cooking for a while, you may start to wonder why you've been wasting money on pre-packaged foods from the supermarket for so long. Hopefully the author is already working on further books with even more recipes in the same vein. This is really a winning format. One final thing, this is not a dumbed-down beginners book - even the more accomplished cook may find these time-saving, tasty recipes of interest to add to their repertoire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, practical and fun, 30 April 2014
This is a great addition to our family cookbooks. Jo writes really clearly and her ideas are not complicated at all, but just greatd combinations of things, or interesting spins on recipes you know, executed well with inspiring photography too. There are also some great alternative suggestions and tips for freezing, serving leftovers etc so you feel that she appreciates the practicalities of family life in the kitchen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do I Need Another Family Cookery Book?, 3 July 2013
this was the question I asked myself when considering buying this.
Answer was obviously no in view of the number of cookery books I already have but I went ahead & bought it anyway!
So glad I did as I can already see that it will be well used in my kitchen.
I really like the format of this book. It's split into 3 main categories( Monday to Friday Survival/ The Busy Weekend / Cling Onto Your Social Life) & then each of these is split into further sections. For example, The Busy Weekend included Breakfast, Light bites,The Family Meal, Puddings, Baking & Saturday Night (Kids are Banned) recipes.
There are clear full page photo's of the majority of the recipes.Preparation & cooking times are included & the emphasis is on quick & easy meals.
I also appreciated the fact that both imperial & metric measures are listed.
This is definately one to consider if looking for a new addition to your family recipes & there are even some that could be used when entertaining.
I think overall I would say I prefer Fay Ripley's books & the great Nosh for busy Mum's & Dad's but I'm glad I have added this to my collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm - good but my expectations were off!, 21 Feb 2013
Not sure how I feel about this one yet.

I have jo's other 2 books (in the mood for food and in the mood for entertaining) and I love both. I regularly get them out to drool over and have had a lot of success with the recipes. Had I not got these books I'd have instantly loved this latest one.

I'm a mum that likes to cook. I've got a collection of family style books (Fay ripley being queen bee here) and a collection of "grown up" books. Jo's first books fit the latter I'd say and I think I was hoping the new one would be more along the lines of the others too.

As a family cookbook this will give Fay a run for her money. It's jam packed with ideas and tips alongside the actual recipes. The recipes for families look great. I can see me using a lot of these already.

I just hoped it would be a bit more indulgent with some posh options I suppose, carrying on from the previous 2.

I've not cooked anything yet but I fully expect the recipes to work well as jo's always do.

I think for me, this book will add to my family collection but when we have friends over or I want something special for 2, I will refer to her previous books. These really are my favourite cookery books and I have over 200!

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 31 Jan 2014
I bought this because my weekly meals were repetitive and my 15 month old was refusing them all. I have a shelf full of cook books and I have cooked more recipes from this book in 3 weeks than I have my whole collection in all the years I've had them. I have predominantly cooked from the Monday to Friday and Busy Weekend chapters and everything has been quick, easy and tasty. The ingredient list is quite simple so no running to the supermarket for 1 off herbs, jars etc. Meals can be easily adapted by throwing in alternative veg & meat & most recipes have a tip suggesting what to do with the leftovers. This is the best family cook book I've used.

4.0 out of 5 stars great book, 23 Jun 2014
V. Smith (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
Love the meal and then following section of what to do with leftovers. Do not have many cookbooks on kindle and wish I had this in paper form. Have made the chocolate cake for birthday so far and it worked well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Madhouse cookbook, 4 Jun 2014
Not what I was looking for I do not use it I wanted a book with combination microwave cooking in it

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great little gem!, 26 May 2014
Fantastic book; well thought out, good layout, measurements are clear and in different units (great for metric users like us Continental types), photography is good and the little tips at the bottom of the page are mostly really inspired.

I've tried a few recipes so far and they have been perfect - a hit with everyone in the family, from husband to toddler and 7 month old baby. She might even dethroned Fay Ripley in my "Family Food Cookbook" shelf!

Definitely buying her other books now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easter ~Gift, 10 May 2014
Bought for my daughter who loves Jo Pratt's recipes. Gave it to her for Easter and she has already used it for several meals

Madhouse Cookbook: Delicious Recipes for the Busy Family Kitchen