5.0 out of 5 stars porky perfection
Published on 4 Oct. 2012 by robin101962

3.0 out of 5 stars Pig
Good book and will try a few of the recipes. I actually think the photos of pigs in sty's a bit off putting at the beginning of the book, but thats just my opinion.
Published on 18 Nov. 2012 by RealJoWood

5.0 out of 5 stars porky perfection, 4 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork (Hardcover)
This book has everything you need to be able to cook pork perfectly. The introduction has information on how to choose & store pork, along with general tips on how to cook the various cuts of meat. The recipes are wide ranging - from comforting family fare to dishes perfect for entertaining. Recipes include those for breakfast, quick meals, lunches & main meals. The "slow cooking" section is my favourite - especially Johnnie's dish of Slow Roasted Pork Belly (it's AMAZING!). Throughout the book there are QR codes that link to "show me how" videos - a brilliant idea (if you dont have a smartphone or tablet, the acknowledgements page gives a web address for the videos). At the back of the book is a section of recipes for accompaniments to go with the dishes. This is a book to be used & consulted regularly - a Pork Bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helpful, some great recipes in it, 27 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork (Hardcover)
There is a vast range of pork recipes in this book and there is pretty much something for everyone on every budget, every level of ability, from quick recipes to ones that cook all day. I always worry that books by chefs are going to be full of complicated processes, lots of unusual ingredients and be more effort than they are worth, but this book is not like it at all. I have made two recipes so far, all with pretty standard ingredients easily available - in fact, many things I already had in my store cupboard and they were both well received by my family.

The recipes were well laid out and it usually has QR codes throughout which take you to videos showing you how to do various techniques. I found this very useful.

The front section is very interesting and useful for anyone wanting to get the best out of cooking pork dishes, relating to the different cuts and why different cuts suit different dishes.

If you love pork, you will love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best ever pork cookbook, 5 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork (Hardcover)
I cheffed for many years and always had a pork problem. When I worked as a private chef I had to make sure my clients were either Jewish or Muslim because I was so consistently rubbish at cooking a leg or shoulder of pork. Johnnie Mountain's book changed all that. His recipe for roast shoulder is foolproof and turns out moist and buttery everytime. I cannot recommend this book highly enough, especailly for cooks with a pork problem - like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Porking Lush!, 5 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork (Hardcover)
In Wales we have a saying if we think something is top drawer, and that is 'cowing lush'. In this instance it needs amending to 'porking lush' in order to describe this work!
Johnnie Mountain has never had a fair shake on the BBC because of 'chef' Marcus Wareing, however from this I became aware of Johnnie's work and eagerly anticipated the arrival of this new book.
I have not been made to be found wanting.
This should be in the stockings of any home cook, as it contains everything you needed to know about the 'humble' pig. It elevates it from a basic protein to an ingredient fit to grace any dinner table. Johnnie's writing style is friendly, welcoming and encouraging- wanting you to try everything inside for yourself. For this he is to be commended and I look forward to any others that follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars I think I have licked every page!, 4 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork (Hardcover)
I have never read a cookbook as brilliant as this one. Every page makes your mouth water. Just when you think nothing could sound tastier; turn over, there it is! We want to rear pigs ready for cooking and this book has really inspired me. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A declaration of love to our porcine friends that will teach you how to treat them right in the kitchen., 13 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork (Hardcover)
To start I must admit that I've got massive respect for Johnnie Mountain - something that was reinforced when he stood up for his beliefs and walked out of the Great British Menu. The F-bomb was just an added bonus as he did this. ;-)

This book is written about the glorious pig, an animal that brings lots of joy to us who enjoy proper food. It's not only written about the pig, it is written as a declaration of love to the pig and its versatility.

This book not only teaches you about the various cuts of pig, it also brings you recipes from across the world that utilises these different cuts. If that wasn't enough, you will also learn about various cooking methods to bring the best out of the different cuts.

The information is clear and concise and the recipes are varied, informative, enthusing and a joy to follow. There is lots of small tips and hints from the start to the finish of this book that just adds value.

It doesn't matter if you already love the swine or if you want to learn how to love it - this is a great addition to any cookbook collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars On their wish list, 27 Dec. 2012
A. Courtney (Dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork (Hardcover)
My daughter and her partner love cooking pork so chose this book. They didn't know they were going to receive it so were very happy. It is a lovely clear book with step by step instructions and I would recommend it to anyone interested in cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars championing the underrated pig, 14 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork (Hardcover)
An absolutely brilliant book. I've long been a fan of pork and always tended to chose it when eating out which is, I imagine, what lead a relative of mine to buy it for me as a Christmas present. The book is packed with information about breeding, different cuts, how to source quality pork meat, how to prepare it and, most importantly, how to cook it with dozens and dozens of great recipes. There is a range of recipe's in the book suitable from the beginner to the obsessive cook and the 3 I've cooked so far have all been delicious and well received. The QR codes are a great help if you are unsure of some of the technical advice and something which I expect more cookbooks will make use of in future. If you are only going to buy one cookbook then this should be it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous book, 7 April 2013
Rowan "Avid listener of books. All sorts" (pembroke dock, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork (Hardcover)
A really gorgeous book. Enjoyable to read through but exciting to use. Really brought us much pork enjoyment. Can't wait to have our own

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy little book, 23 April 2013
This review is from: Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork (Hardcover)
Got this for my parents. They loved the fact it had some history and interesting facts in there as well as some good recipes.

Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork
Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork by Johnnie Mountain (Hardcover - 13 Sept. 2012)