5.0 out of 5 stars porky perfection
Published on 4 Oct 2012 by robin101962

3.0 out of 5 stars Pig
Good book and will try a few of the recipes. I actually think the photos of pigs in sty's a bit off putting at the beginning of the book, but thats just my opinion.
Published on 18 Nov 2012 by RealJoWood

5.0 out of 5 stars porky perfection, 4 Oct 2012
This review is from: Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork (Hardcover)
This book has everything you need to be able to cook pork perfectly. The introduction has information on how to choose & store pork, along with general tips on how to cook the various cuts of meat. The recipes are wide ranging - from comforting family fare to dishes perfect for entertaining. Recipes include those for breakfast, quick meals, lunches & main meals. The "slow cooking" section is my favourite - especially Johnnie's dish of Slow Roasted Pork Belly (it's AMAZING!). Throughout the book there are QR codes that link to "show me how" videos - a brilliant idea (if you dont have a smartphone or tablet, the acknowledgements page gives a web address for the videos). At the back of the book is a section of recipes for accompaniments to go with the dishes. This is a book to be used & consulted regularly - a Pork Bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helpful, some great recipes in it, 27 Sep 2012
This review is from: Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork (Hardcover)
There is a vast range of pork recipes in this book and there is pretty much something for everyone on every budget, every level of ability, from quick recipes to ones that cook all day. I always worry that books by chefs are going to be full of complicated processes, lots of unusual ingredients and be more effort than they are worth, but this book is not like it at all. I have made two recipes so far, all with pretty standard ingredients easily available - in fact, many things I already had in my store cupboard and they were both well received by my family.

The recipes were well laid out and it usually has QR codes throughout which take you to videos showing you how to do various techniques. I found this very useful.

The front section is very interesting and useful for anyone wanting to get the best out of cooking pork dishes, relating to the different cuts and why different cuts suit different dishes.

If you love pork, you will love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I think I have licked every page!, 4 Feb 2013
This review is from: Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork (Hardcover)
I have never read a cookbook as brilliant as this one. Every page makes your mouth water. Just when you think nothing could sound tastier; turn over, there it is! We want to rear pigs ready for cooking and this book has really inspired me. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best ever pork cookbook, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork (Hardcover)
I cheffed for many years and always had a pork problem. When I worked as a private chef I had to make sure my clients were either Jewish or Muslim because I was so consistently rubbish at cooking a leg or shoulder of pork. Johnnie Mountain's book changed all that. His recipe for roast shoulder is foolproof and turns out moist and buttery everytime. I cannot recommend this book highly enough, especailly for cooks with a pork problem - like me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy little book, 23 April 2013
This review is from: Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork (Hardcover)
Got this for my parents. They loved the fact it had some history and interesting facts in there as well as some good recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous book, 7 April 2013
Rowan "Acid audible listener. I have over 200... (pembroke dock, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork (Hardcover)
A really gorgeous book. Enjoyable to read through but exciting to use. Really brought us much pork enjoyment. Can't wait to have our own

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork (Hardcover)
Fabulous book, if you like pork, or indeed good food in general, this is a must buy product. Best cookery book I have bought!

5.0 out of 5 stars On their wish list, 27 Dec 2012
A. Courtney (Dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork (Hardcover)
My daughter and her partner love cooking pork so chose this book. They didn't know they were going to receive it so were very happy. It is a lovely clear book with step by step instructions and I would recommend it to anyone interested in cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Porking Lush!, 5 Dec 2012
This review is from: Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork (Hardcover)
In Wales we have a saying if we think something is top drawer, and that is 'cowing lush'. In this instance it needs amending to 'porking lush' in order to describe this work!
Johnnie Mountain has never had a fair shake on the BBC because of 'chef' Marcus Wareing, however from this I became aware of Johnnie's work and eagerly anticipated the arrival of this new book.
I have not been made to be found wanting.
This should be in the stockings of any home cook, as it contains everything you needed to know about the 'humble' pig. It elevates it from a basic protein to an ingredient fit to grace any dinner table. Johnnie's writing style is friendly, welcoming and encouraging- wanting you to try everything inside for yourself. For this he is to be commended and I look forward to any others that follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect porcine preparation, 1 Nov 2012
G. Roche "bilbobooks" (ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork (Hardcover)
This is a beautiful book - hardback, with an introduction that praises the merits of organic pig husbandry. The recipes are inspired and the author writes with a passion for his subject. Highly recommended.

Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork
Pig: Cooking with a Passion for Pork by Johnnie Mountain (Hardcover - 13 Sep 2012)