on 7 February 2011
I wasn't quite sure what to expect before I read this book, but I have to say that I loved it. It's funny, original and full of creativity. Some of the ideas in this book are really entertaining and incredibly well observed. There are some great characters too; Paul (or Paulo) has a dry wit and perseverance that endures throughout the book and I really warmed to him and his determination. But I think it's his mother and Aunt that I enjoyed the most. Some of their dialogue is hilarious and if there was ever going to be a spin off...they've got to be at the top of the pile! Oh, and Kitty Clay, a really well defined `character' with some cracking one liners. The story (or `Potted History') twists and turns as Paulo tries to make a name for himself in the world of television and never feels laboured. Every incident, person, conversation and interaction serves a purpose and only adds to the enjoyment of this read. I highly recommend it.
on 11 May 2011
This book was recommended to me by a friend as an ideal holiday read.
I was immediately put off by the title thinking it was some spanish artist's biography and didn't bother. She emailed me several times and in the end I ordered a copy. Boy, what a surprise. I laughed out loud at times (it takes a lot to do that) A totally unexpected gem of a book. The characters are so well observed and I found myself drawn into this world of crass tv programmes. I am not in the business but I would imagine this is a bit too near the truth to be comfortable for Sky and QVC !!!!! I am now left wanting more. I thoroughly recommend that you put this book in your suitcase.
on 18 March 2011
It is arare occasion that I laugh out loud when reading. This time I could not stop. from page one to the end Andrew Telling had me in stitches. he certinly captured the vageries of daytime television not to mention the sillieness of the rubbish sold on some shopping channels . paulo comes over as not the sharpest knife in the box but he seems to come alive in front of the camera.If youwant to spend a few hours laughing your socks try thia book
on 28 August 2011
I bought this book to take on holiday and couldn't put it down. Hilarious and extremely well written, it gives a witty insight into the world of daytime TV with scenarios that everyone can relate to. The characters were fantastic and had me crying with laughter.
I thoroughly recommend this book if you want a good and entertaining read and I hope there is a follow up or spin off on the way!