4.0 out of 5 stars Another dig with a gentleman.
I have read Alan Titchmarh's previous autobiographical offerings, Trowel and Error(which I have reviewed) and Nobbut a Lad: A Yorkshire Childhood (which I have not for some reason!). Knave of Spades continues, the story; the current one, past adventures and misdemeanours (of which there are few) and childhood experiences of gardening.

Gardening is the major...
Published on 9 April 2010 by Jo D'Arcy

3.0 out of 5 stars Knave of Spades
Not one of his best books found it a bit boring really. Good if you are thinking of going the same way as he has gives you an insight to what and where you have to go to become a gardener.
Published 21 months ago by Gina

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Another dig with a gentleman., 9 April 2010
Jo D'Arcy (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Gardening is the major theme of this book, even though like a good Yorkshire man he goes off the point, for example the Last Night of the Proms and balancing on 2 chairs - you will have to read it to find out about the reference. Everything comes back to gardening.

It is a delightful tale of where it all began for one of our most famous television gardeners. Stories of his childhood and what was obviously a struggle to convince his parents that gardening was a `trade' and it would go somewhere. His move into the local Ilkely council department which dealt with the gardening side of the town - decorating the town hall to name one. Alan recounts the characters he met while working there, as well as referring to his personal life as well, as his development with girls was not blossoming as well as the flowers under his care.

From this Alan moves us through the rest of his gardening/horticulture career, college and interestingly Kew Gardens, all stories smattered with tales of characters but practical information about gardening and a lot about plants, and their Latin names. Not being a gardener of any sorts, not even a window box, this bit I found dull, but that is only because of my lack of knowledge on the subject. Not because of the writing, this is well done.

The stories of Kew develop into his love of writing, and the amount, which surprised me of what he had done, before he got to be on Gardner's World, and subsequently in our televisions sets with an entertainment programme called 'Ground Force'!

There is much to this book, and we gain further insight into a man, who has a passion for many things, gardening is the most important, music and books. It is great to be able to relate to many things in a book, even if one of the topics is not quite your thing. A must for all fans of Alan Titchmarsh but also an interest and love in gardening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 4 Nov 2009
D. J. Foote "12inches" (Wimborne Dorset) - See all my reviews
Naturally written and very interestingly expressed, especially when you are of a similar age and also fond of gardening. A sincerely written book by a down to earth author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knave of Spades, 30 Oct 2009
As always Alan Titchmarsh makes reading a book a wonderful delight. As you read you can hear Alan saying the words to you. He has such a lovely way of expressing things that you can relate to each and every thing he writes about. As yet I have not found any of his books to dislike. They are all great and Knave of Spades is yet another great book by him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knave of Spades by Alan Titchmarsh, 3 Jan 2010
Mrs. E. Sorrell "Reader" (South Coast) - See all my reviews
A lovely book, just the thing to relax with over the festive season, a witty and gentle piece of prose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book, 11 Jan 2010
Ms. L. I. Millson (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
Once again Alan has produced another great book, I have all his others and although the 3rd in his autobiography, still a joy to read

4.0 out of 5 stars Utter pleasure, 13 July 2010
I read and enjoyed greatly AP's earlier work "nobbut a Lad". This latest of how his career has developed after leaving school is fascinating and pleasurable in the extreme. There are many funny parts and it is a book very hard to put down. Recommended wholeheartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent entertaining, 10 Jan 2010
K. Stringer - See all my reviews
bought for my mum for Cmas cos she watches his show - she loved it and read it every day - lots of interesting facts about his early life too - going to borrow it

5.0 out of 5 stars Knave of Spades, 12 Oct 2009
The Knave of Spades is up to the usual high standard of writing by Alan Titchmarsh. A very interesting and entertaining book about his life. Can't wait for him to write another book.

4.0 out of 5 stars lovey gentle read, 28 Jan 2011
I am anything but a keen gardener but am well aware of Alan from his TV work. Someone bought me this book for my birthday and I was a bit worried that I would find it boring and too 'green'. I shouldn't have worried - all Alan's easy warmth and charm come across effortlessly in this tale of how his love of gardening grew from a hobby to a much loved career. He doesn't dwell on any one part of his life for long so the book has a quick pace that keeps your interest. His asides on modern life are interesting (even if you don't agree with him) and the odd one liners and witty comments bring the book alive. A very gentle, pleasant read which (from what he says) is what I think he was trying to achieve.

5.0 out of 5 stars shirl, 15 Mar 2010
I enjoyed the book because of its local interest as I was born nearby and I know Ilkley well, it was very interesting and amusing

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Knave of Spades: Growing Pains of a Gardener
Knave of Spades: Growing Pains of a Gardener by Alan Titchmarsh (Audio CD - 17 Sep 2009)
Used & New from: 3.98