4.0 out of 5 stars A solid re-opening for this classic series
London, 2043. Jake Reed is a young futures broker, trading stock on the datascape, the high-tech virtual stock market, one of the best in his field. When the datascape comes under attack from hackers, Reed is called in to investigate who could be responsible. However, the virtual attack is but the opening move in a struggle years in the planning. Cities burn, riots erupt...
Published on 3 Feb. 2011 by A. Whitehead

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good but...
I suppose I must start by saying that I enjoyed this book but I must also add that I found it strangely old-fashioned. I wouldn't have been surprised to find that it was really written by John Christopher - it had that sort of feel about it. The book is the first in a long series (which I'm not sure I'm going to actually chase up) but can stand alone. The series appears...
Published on 1 Sept. 2012 by Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk

5.0 out of 5 stars A new introduction to one of the greatest epics ever..., 12 Mar. 2011
D. Scott Angle "D Scott Angle" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Okay, okay... So I'm a long-standing fan of the original series and this might skew my perspective a bit.

However, I'm now 92% (so my kindle tells my) of the way through Son of Heaven... and it's an absolute superb read. The wonderful way David crafts his characters and truly brings them to life is just as evident in this new prequel as it was in the original. I'm eagerly anticipating the follow-up, and am excited to see what revisions David will be making to rest (especially as the original ending felt rushed and was a bit of a let-down after the terrific build-up).

I must say that I was disappointed by how little this series has been praised in the past. It is a marvellously grafted world on an epic scale and deserves far more recognition that it received. Hopefully the re-launch will be and opportunity to see that put to right...

5.0 out of 5 stars The Chung Kuo series is simply wonderful, one more book is always appreciated!, 14 Jan. 2015
Simply wonderful. A little slow beginning but for a saga comprising 10 books, a slow beginning prequel is not a problem. And the way the master plan is slowly revealed is great. Also, very nice the different subsequent geopolitical phases the author analyses and describes, before arriving to the "final" ChungKuo.
Can't wait to read a completely rewritten "Marriage of the Living Dark" conclusion of the series. In two volumes as originally conceived and with proper plot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic return to the world of Chung Kuo, 30 Nov. 2012
A. R. G. Owen "argon0" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Having read the original series cover to cover all, 8 volumes, and enjoyed all of them greatly (OK the last one had its problems...), I was looking forward to this with great anticipation. I wasn't to be disappointed!

This book sets the scene nicely, for the following 19 books! Fantastic start - keep up the good work David!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 July 2014
Wayne (Burghfield Common, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Really liked this story. Can't wait for the follow ups

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever, 15 Feb. 2014
Well I enjoyed bits of it but overall felt the order of the story was wrong. I would have preferred to read about the doomsday before getting into the survival journey.

4.0 out of 5 stars 70% in and I will buy the next installment, 8 Feb. 2014
What I've read to date is panning out as a scary alternate future.It could happen if you take into consideration what is happening today. Though it would not follow the book you can let your imagination wander to see aspects of the near future that could arise, especially the divide between those that have and those that have not.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, 6 Feb. 2014
I really enjoyed this book. The characters caught my attention early on, I liked the mix of flashbacks and 'current events' and the writing is superb. I think it says it all that I bought the second in the series about 5 seconds after I finished this one!

Ok the arrival of the Chinese happens pretty late in the book and I was wondering when they would arrive, but I'm not holding that against it on the basis that I really didn't miss them, but they lived up to expectations when they did finally get there:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Scarily coming true in parts already, 22 Oct. 2013
Good social and political vision if the very near future.
Don't want to give anything away but it's another post collapse book but extremely well written and plays on many of our current fears regarding a certain nation that appears to be taking over in the real world.
Good level of intimacy with the characters that are well filled. Good degree of action and very good levels of intrigue and suspense.
Very well written and can't wait to read a follow on that I've just downloaded as a result of the entertainment this story gave me.

5.0 out of 5 stars a dystopian Dorset, 13 Oct. 2013
Robert J. Brown (Bransgore, Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
Excellent read based in London and a possible future Dorset. Not exactly Trollope, but a forward view to another feudal time.
Well worth the time!

4.0 out of 5 stars A vision of the near future, 20 April 2013
Quite a scary read - as we seem only a few steps away from it now.

London is a series of gated enclaves for the elite with the starving masses left outside.
Computers and virtual reality games control the economy.
Economy collapses after being sabotaged by China. The UK lapses into barbarism. China invades.

Enjoyed the book immensely.Particularly the Purbeck against the world section. My only niggle is that most of the female characters are very passive. They seem mostly defined by their relationship with men. (Unless the writer is making the point that without the protection of civilisation women would be forced permanently back into limited roles of wife/mother/daughter - in which case he makes his point well).

Son of Heaven (Chung Kuo)
Son of Heaven (Chung Kuo) by David Wingrove (Hardcover - 1 Mar. 2011)
Used & New from: £0.01