5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most unusuall S-F i have read recently
What I love about that book that is so different. No aliens, no big spaceships, no wars, no proud human race. It's just story of forgotten small group of people, on very unusual planet, very dark. The whole story is very well constructed, picture of events is very very convincing, and it is hard to imagining it in other way. Darkness and strange mood of this book...
Published 8 months ago by Eljon

3.0 out of 5 stars A good idea but unconvincingly developed
I had high hopes for this book after a glowing review in the Grauniad Review section one Saturday, but unfortunately it didn't deliver what I was hoping for. The tale of the descendants of a couple stranded on an alien, starless planet, the concept is good - a world where there is no sunlight and plants and animals have (somehow) evolved to produce their own. Thrown into...
Published 13 months ago by John Tierney

‹ Previous | 112 13 1419 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Novel Storyline, 4 Jun 2013
This review is from: Dark Eden (Kindle Edition)
Engaging storyline and well thought out plot. Be interested to see if the author will do anything more with the story

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling, 30 May 2013
This review is from: Dark Eden (Kindle Edition)
Absolutely brilliant read, couldn't put it down! Writing style is great to read, interesting characters which are not black&white for most part. It was interesting to read it and reflect on the modern world. Looking forward to re-reading it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark Eden by Chris Beckett: My review, 29 May 2013
This review is from: Dark Eden (Paperback)
Summary:
It's been 163 years since Angela and Tommy- the first humans from Earth- were left on Dark Eden, after many generations there are now532 people. Family- the entire group of humans living on this strange sunless planet have been waiting- just like Angela told them to- for Earth to come and take them home. They stay close to where people from Earth first landed, not moving any further than they have to. Living like cavemen with basic shelters and fur wraps, using simple tools to hunt and go about their lives. Whilst knowing that there is so much more on Earth, dreaming of the day when they can see metal, plastic and cars. Family is split into groups; John a clever boy from Redlantern group has plans to break out of this stagnant stability. Tina from Spiketree, can tell there is something different about John and she likes that. John is fed up with the way things are. He dreams of climbing over the mountain, Snowy Dark, that towers over the forest where Family lives. Everyone mocks him telling him that it is impossible, they must stay and wait for Earth. Unsatisfied with just waiting, john decides to take matters into his own hands. Family turns away from him, leaving him isolated. John begins to work out how to climb over Snowy Dark, thinking that if he can get over it he can find somewhere new and start his own Family-a new Family.

My opinion:
Being honest, it took me a while to get into and was tricky to get my head around at the start. However as I got into it I found it to be really interesting. I loved the idea of this strange world being a second Eden. Getting to see how these people lived and tried to (or in this case didn't try at all really) become more advanced. I really liked the idea that up until this point it had been women that were in charge. Then as the men started to take charge everything started to change but not exactly in a good way. It's a really strange book but it really made me think about how we've ended up as we are. I could definitely relate with Tina and I found that I could for the most part relate to John as well. The characters were all really well written and really tugged on my emotions at points. Though I will admit I was taken of guard by how much sex everyone had but I suppose it's quite an honest view of how people would live (it's very similar to how some people are living nowadays). I'd recommend it for anyone that likes sci-fi sort of stories or maybe people that tend to stick to dystopian fiction, I'm not sure it counts as dystopian but I tend to read a lot of dystopian books and it felt similar to other books that I've read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves 6 starry whirls, 8 May 2013
I'll be brief
I read a lot, CB is my current fave and I'm gutted I've read all his works, consumed in a couple weeks
The Londoner in my redonates with his work
The short stories show so much promise
Almost didn't reed Eden cos had read the short version and couldn't see where it could go - but hunger for brilliance prevailed, thank Tom's Diick and Harry's.
The story recap via panto is shdkespearean genius.
Nope, no more to say, just read it!

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 24 April 2013
Lyssa Hamilton-Percival (Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Eden (Kindle Edition)
On the surface the story seems relatively simplistic, but as it gets under way the allegorical nature of it begins to assert itself. Exploring the themes of religion, dogma, cultism and the baser elements of human nature in a compelling fashion. Leaves you thinking.

4.0 out of 5 stars moving ideas, static characters, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Dark Eden (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this book, which as others have said is engaging, addictive and thought provoking. One criticism I have though is how rigid the characterisation is; including the protagonist, I cant really think of a single instance of character development throughout the novel. They make decisions, and react to events, but each of them seems pigeon-holed into rather simplistic categories; 'leader', 'thinker', 'follower' ect ect and they do not really move on from these.

Having said that, it is about a group of inbred hunter-gathers with extremely similar & narrow life experiences so maybe my complaint is a little harsh.

4.0 out of 5 stars A dark Garden of Eden, 12 April 2013
This review is from: Dark Eden (Kindle Edition)
Dark Eden is really a new Garden of Eden; a planet in perpetual darkness, lit only by the "starry swirl" and fluorescent plants and sustained by geothermal trees producing heat from the planet's core.
Dark Eden is inhabited by 500+ humans who are all descended from two of the astronauts who landed there from Earth 160 years ago (Adam and Eve?). They live alongside fantastically weird native animals. Their simple existence, quasi-religious rituals and their belief that they will be rescued and taken to Earth are challenged by one teenage boy who dares to think differently; and everything changes.
There are echoes of "Lord of the Flies" and even "Planet of the Apes" in this novel's exploration of what it is to be human. There is the loss of innocence,as well as fear, jealousy, hubris, revenge, love and even murder. Once Pandora 's box has been opened, there is no way back.
The main characters are particularly well developed. It was a very engrossing story written in a clever way and it stayed with me for a long time afterwards

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark Eden, 10 April 2013
This review is from: Dark Eden (Kindle Edition)
I liked this book. The world that the people inhabited seemed very real and well developed and the story was gripping and I wanted to know what happened in the end.
The characters were well developed and they evolved during the course of the story

5.0 out of 5 stars None, 6 April 2013
This review is from: Dark Eden (Kindle Edition)
I could not put this down. Wonderful read. In my top five sci fi books and i have read hundreds. Please Mr Beckett lets have a sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 29 Mar 2013
This review is from: Dark Eden (Kindle Edition)
if you are bored with the usual then this very unusual and fascinating book is one to read! Read at one sitting I really that it was excellent and cant wait for the film/sequel

‹ Previous | 112 13 1419 | Next ›

Dark Eden
Dark Eden by Chris Beckett (Paperback - 1 Aug 2012)