5.0 out of 5 stars A very American tale.
The Forthrast Family - A typical American family? Probably not. Richard "Dodge" Forthrast, ex-small time drug runner, haunted by the Furious Muses (echoes of his previous girlfriends), now the owner of T'Rain, the world's most successful online game; his younger brother Jacob "Jake" Forthrast, a born again Christian and Survivalist; his elder brother John Forthrast,...
Published on 15 Aug 2011 by S. Horrigan

2.0 out of 5 stars In need of firmer editing
As with all of Neal Stepehnson's novels from Cryptonomicon onwards, this book deserved to experience better editing than it received. Overly long, and sprawling across continents, seemingly disparate story lines slowly converge before a dramatic denouement in which the 'good guys' are assisted by some remarkable coincidences which would have been acceptable in a Dickens...
Published 21 months ago by Spodder

‹ Previous | 114 15 16 17 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic Read, 5 Mar 2013
This review is from: Reamde (Hardcover)
Wow....my first Neal Stephenson novel and I am still recovering. It is exhausting to read but in a really good way. I was not sure what to expect and from reading other reviews some of his loyal fans were disappointed but I thoroughly enjoyed it. He builds his characters beautifully and you come to love (and hate) them and care what happens to them, which for me is important especially in a book this long!
His humour is sometimes dry sometimes verging on slapstick but I smiled an awful lot through a pretty serious bloody plot.
It would make a fantastic holiday read, preferably on a kindle as holding the book made my hands ache as its so large, over 1000 pages.
Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs to be a film!, 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: Reamde (Paperback)
It took me a while to read this book but I loved every single page of it. In some places it could be seen to be contrived but I don't care, it kept me gripped, it was fantastically written, the characters had real presence and the technical references show the level of research the author must have done. I will definitely be reading more of his books. I'm a new and hopefully devoted fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Page turning surprise, 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: Reamde (Kindle Edition)
This was from another book's "if you like this you would enjoy" list so I ordered it. What a surprise to find such an amazing multi-dimensioned, page-turning read from a chance purchase. Lessons in computer games design, games playing, hacking, viruses, geology, money-laundering, Russian mobsters and, even, love. I have already ordered others by Neal Stephenson and I look forward to more enjoying reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A major Film in five years, read reamde first!, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: Reamde (Paperback)
Greatbook. First foray into Neal Stephenson's work for me and I went with an open mind and was well rewarded. Whilst this hasn't been pushed as his most mind boggling book by reviews who seem bent on eulogising past works, as a modern page turner thriller this book works exceptionally well.
Regarding length - its huge, but so what. I like details and whilst I reckon other writers could have written the same plot in a tenth of the words - I like the immersive quality the detail bestows on the action. It would be challenging for a film director to do anything other than follow verbatim the gun sequences, they are so well done, second by second!

Only one moment in the book seemed contrived, I wont say as its fairly pivotal, but I forgave it on the strength of the ripples it's pebble made.

Reamde? Readit!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, good characters but it's a long book, 10 Sep 2012
This review is from: Reamde (Kindle Edition)
A typical Neal Stephenson book in that it is a massive tome.
The plot is good, the characters are well rounded, as they should be in a book of this length.
Despite it's length I read it in 5 days.
Set in the current, this isn't really a science fiction book. Its just a good novel based around the T'rain virtual MMORPG.
Thoroughly enjoyed reading it - which is a big complement as I haven't manage to finish a Neal Stephenson book previously as they are a tad verbose.

BTW This was my first kindle book purchase as I generally prefer actual paper, but as this book was over 1000 pages I took the plunge.
The kindle element worked perfectly on my iPad but it isn't anywhere near as good as a real kindle - I couldn't read the book in daylight for example.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not his best Novel, 13 Aug 2012
This review is from: Reamde (Hardcover)
After writing the beautifully crafted Anathem, Stephenson went on a binge, drinking at least six pints before resuming work on this book. And that's how it should be read too, after at least six pints. A thousand pages of painfu mind numbing descriptive passages, flat character development, and a dull, cliched plot. I would highly recommend an interested reader starts with one of his other books instead.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a waste., 24 Jun 2012
This review is from: Reamde (Hardcover)
This was a real slog of a book, unremarkable in pretty much every respect.
When a film you have started to watch turns out to be a turkey.... you just stop watching it.
When a CD doesn't hit the spot you just switch it off.
But for some reason I always feel I have to finish a book no matter how turgid.
I'm afraid Reamde is one of those I wish I'd never picked up; it didn't get any better.
Please read any other book by the author before you buy this one..... 'cause they are ALL a much better use of your time (and money) than this 1000 plus pages worth of not very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Cryptonomicon, 8 Oct 2011
This review is from: Reamde (Hardcover)
What can I say, Neal Stephenson is one of my favourite writers, i'd probably read a shopping list if he'd written it! For me his last two works (The Baroque Cycle, and Anathem) we're a bit of a struggle, but Reamde is a return to the fast pace, contemporary Thriller with great Cyberpunk overtones! While perhaps not quite as good as Cryptonomicon, this is still a brilliant read, and a must for any WoW fans! Now when is somebody going to release T'Rain... ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars He does it again!, 8 Oct 2011
This review is from: Reamde (Hardcover)
Not quite Cryptonomicon, but then I'm older and more jaded. A fantastic read - I loved every second of its accelerating craziness!

5.0 out of 5 stars The most fun book I've read in years, 4 Oct 2011
This review is from: Reamde (Hardcover)
It's a fast moving adventure over the course of its thousand pages. Not as highbrow as some (or even most) or Stephenson's other work but he's written an exceptional thriller that displays his mastery of plot and pacing.

‹ Previous | 114 15 16 17 | Next ›

Reamde
Reamde by Neal Stephenson (Hardcover - 20 Sep 2011)
15.19