4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down - but not Stephenson's best
Despite its length (a strong recommendation for reading it on your Kindle!), this thriller held my attention over a week of late night reading. It's really a thriller with the technical plot more of a device to allow certain characters to communicate at key moments than a central feature, and I would classify the computer virus that gives the book its title as what...
Published on 15 Feb. 2012 by Christopher J. Napier

3.0 out of 5 stars Great start, dreadful ending
This for me was a 5 star book for the first 600 pages, 4-star for the next 200 pages, and then the last part rapidly degenerated into a confoundingly drawn out and highly improbable non-stop action finale, with ridiculous amounts of unnecessary and uninteresting details, as all the book's heroes and villains managed, miraculously, to converge from all over the world onto...
Published on 22 Aug. 2012 by Palito del Monte

2.0 out of 5 stars A grind to read, 27 Oct. 2011
Dr. Michael Heron (Brechin) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Reamde (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wanted to like this book so much - Cryptonomicon is easily one of my favourite books ever, and I enjoyed the Baroque cycle immensely. Sadly, I found this book to be something of a grind to read from the start. As other reviewers have remarked, it does seem to come from the pen of a less skilled writer than we know Stephenson to be. Neal Stephenson can write with wit and intelligence, and weave complex narratives through a story seen through multiple lenses, and that is a mark of great accomplishment. None of that ability is really on display in Reamde, and it's a shame because the core story is interesting and the narrative itself has promise. It's just not executed well, and it pains me to say that.

5.0 out of 5 stars A major Film in five years, read reamde first!, 5 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Reamde (Paperback)
Greatbook. First foray into Neal Stephenson's work for me and I went with an open mind and was well rewarded. Whilst this hasn't been pushed as his most mind boggling book by reviews who seem bent on eulogising past works, as a modern page turner thriller this book works exceptionally well.
Regarding length - its huge, but so what. I like details and whilst I reckon other writers could have written the same plot in a tenth of the words - I like the immersive quality the detail bestows on the action. It would be challenging for a film director to do anything other than follow verbatim the gun sequences, they are so well done, second by second!

Only one moment in the book seemed contrived, I wont say as its fairly pivotal, but I forgave it on the strength of the ripples it's pebble made.

Reamde? Readit!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 12 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Reamde (Hardcover)
I absolutely loved this. A huge book at more than 1,000 pages, and a sprawling plot covering computer gaming and "gold farming", American family life, Russian gangsters, James Bond-type spies, Christian survivalists and Islamic militants - never a dull moment! There's a splendid crescendo at the end where all the strands come together. A thoroughly satisfying read.

2.0 out of 5 stars what a letdown, 28 Sept. 2011
T. Ryckmans "TR" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reamde (Kindle Edition)
As a big fan of Stephenson, I found this book quite a letdown. The plot is just not believable; some good ideas (Brigthness vs Earthtone in real life... fanaticism vs quiet decency?) appear mostly in the the virtual world parts, and could have been played/paralleled in the meatspace part of the novel. But no - they are just used as a prop to introduce a long string of more or less (arche)typical characters - the good uncle, the geek, the hacker, the warrior...(it goes on). More disturbing is this constant reference to these "nice people who keep lots of guns and just want to be left alone" - just like Timothy McVeigh, right? The whole action part is just not believable, and becomes, ultimately, very dull; the ending is just ludicrous. I just don't see how Stephenson could sign this drivel. Please leave actions scenes to Bobby Shaftoe - these were both convincing and funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic Read, 5 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Reamde (Hardcover)
Wow....my first Neal Stephenson novel and I am still recovering. It is exhausting to read but in a really good way. I was not sure what to expect and from reading other reviews some of his loyal fans were disappointed but I thoroughly enjoyed it. He builds his characters beautifully and you come to love (and hate) them and care what happens to them, which for me is important especially in a book this long!
His humour is sometimes dry sometimes verging on slapstick but I smiled an awful lot through a pretty serious bloody plot.
It would make a fantastic holiday read, preferably on a kindle as holding the book made my hands ache as its so large, over 1000 pages.
Highly recommended

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition needs work, 6 Mar. 2012
R. J. Tysoe (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reamde (Hardcover)
I'm a great fan of Neal Stephenson. I bought the hardback of this book but it is too unwieldy to read on my commute or in the bath so I thought I'd buy the Kindle edition as well. However the Kindle edition is marred by many typos. It seems to have not been proof read at all, or if it has it was by someone who doesn't know the difference between "off" and "of". There are many other typos which frankly break the immersion of reading the book. I haven't checked if the print edition is littered with the same typos.

Apart from that, I'm enjoying the story and ploughing through the book. It seems (despite the size) a bit more lightweight in themes than his recent work and harks back to his early work like Zodiac and The Big U, but I have no problem with that as they were both enjoyable thrillers.

I've only 1 starred it for the appalling level of proofreading.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a waste., 24 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Reamde (Hardcover)
This was a real slog of a book, unremarkable in pretty much every respect.
When a film you have started to watch turns out to be a turkey.... you just stop watching it.
When a CD doesn't hit the spot you just switch it off.
But for some reason I always feel I have to finish a book no matter how turgid.
I'm afraid Reamde is one of those I wish I'd never picked up; it didn't get any better.
Please read any other book by the author before you buy this one..... 'cause they are ALL a much better use of your time (and money) than this 1000 plus pages worth of not very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars the fastest 1000 page read ever, 8 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Reamde (Hardcover)
Neal Stephenson is for me one of the best writer of our time. If you new to his works "REAMDE" is a good start as it is his most accessible work to date. Don't be put off by it's size the pages just fly by. Why? As in all his works you got a great cast of characters.
They are all portrayed with a degree of larger-than-life vitality that makes them practically bolt off the page. They sparkle, they hurt, they plot, they ponder, they love. They act and react.

"She definitely heard the words for airplane and airport, which delighted some little-girl part of her soul ("Yay, going on a trip!") even as her higher brain was ticking off all the bad things that could happen when men like Jones came into proximity with jet aircraft."

My favourite is Abdallah Jones(terrorist, West Indian by ethnicity, British slum kid otherwise) a welsh al qaeda cell leader who's one of the most menacingly charismatic villains since Hanibal Lecter.

From the russian mafia to chinese hackers , hillbillies and a men eating cougar its all there.Stephenson goes into great detail explaining the workings of T'Rain a World of Warcraft based online game. A hacker wipes out players hard drives and holds the contents hostage till player pay in T'Rain gold wich then can be converted into real currency. This is only one of many subplots wich ends in a men hunt in the Rockies .

"Apparently these three had left half of the surviving population of China seriously pissed off at them, as well as making mortal enemies with a rogue, defrocked Russian organized crime figure. In their spare time they had stolen money from millions of T'Rain players, created huge problems for a large multinational corporation that owned the game, and, finally--warming to the task--mounted a frontal assault on al-Qaeda."

The book is a pile-up of implausible coincidences, madcap romance and technological mayhem but Stephenson putt's it all nicly together in nail biting suspense.
"Reamde" has one of the most satisfyingly over-the-top endings of anything I've read in years. For all its gun-toting mercenaries and venal hackers, there's never any doubt who this novel's bad guys really are.

They're cold-blooded killers. They litter. And they don't play T'Rain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Cryptonomicon, 8 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Reamde (Hardcover)
What can I say, Neal Stephenson is one of my favourite writers, i'd probably read a shopping list if he'd written it! For me his last two works (The Baroque Cycle, and Anathem) we're a bit of a struggle, but Reamde is a return to the fast pace, contemporary Thriller with great Cyberpunk overtones! While perhaps not quite as good as Cryptonomicon, this is still a brilliant read, and a must for any WoW fans! Now when is somebody going to release T'Rain... ;)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not his best Novel, 13 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Reamde (Hardcover)
After writing the beautifully crafted Anathem, Stephenson went on a binge, drinking at least six pints before resuming work on this book. And that's how it should be read too, after at least six pints. A thousand pages of painfu mind numbing descriptive passages, flat character development, and a dull, cliched plot. I would highly recommend an interested reader starts with one of his other books instead.

Reamde
Reamde by Neal Stephenson (Hardcover - 20 Sept. 2011)