1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating, funny and poignant, 24 Nov 2012
This review is from: First Russia, Then Tibet: Travels Through a Changing World (Paperback)
It is ages since I read this book, but I still think of it as one of the more memorable travel books I have read to date. It starts in Russia and I must admit I don't remember much of this section. It did not catch my imagination in the same way as the Tibet section did. However a friend with more interest in orthodox art and architecture did enjoy this section quite a lot. 'nuff said!

For me the book really begins with the travel to and in Tibet. I was fascinated to read about how early flights were organised. The author talks of patting his top pocket stuffed with a thick book full of tickets and hotels bookings for the flight to India. Then the flight, and you sense his curiosity looking out of the windows at the waves on the sea very close below and seeing the shadow of the plane on the sand in the desert below. The trek into Tibet is tough but the author has you laughing, as well as feeling sympathetic and pleased to be home in your armchair. And finally, the end of the book where there is a huge sense of poignancy because of all you know about the future of all you have just read about which the author could not and would never know. I felt privileged to have lived this time and this journey into Tibet with the author and I felt and still feel this is a precious record of a lost world.

I could not recommend the book highly enough, though this is not a modern travel book and perhaps it is more for readers who love classy erudite writing, and are interested in learning about worlds long gone, not just Tibet but also the between war England of the author. The author is a man of his time. He did not live to see his times change.

First Russia, Then Tibet: Travels Through a Changing World
First Russia, Then Tibet: Travels Through a Changing World by Robert Byron (Paperback - 8 Sep 2010)
11.99
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available