Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 February 2010
This is a splendid book for those wishing to get to know something about contemporary Albania.

It is also a well researched book with details and information about key individuals and significant events durng the last 15 years of Albanian history. I particularly enjoyed the almost forensic description of the lead-up to the 1997 and 1998 political turmoil that the country twice found itself in.

Only disappointment about the book was that I thought at least a chapter could hve been devoted to political developments since 2000. Perhaps Pettifer and Vickers are saving that for their next book. If so, look forward to their next publication.
on 9 October 2010
I wanted to know something about recent Albanian history, as I was about to travel there for a holiday. So I bought this book hoping that it might inform me. It was certainly informative and the authors managed to write it in such as way as to inform and 'entertain' at the same time.

I really enjoyed reading it and I now feel like I have an overview of the cultural and political life of people living in Albania and that of their neighbouring countries.

I recommend this book for anyone with an interest in knowing more about Albania and its recent history.
on 21 February 2013
An excellent and intelligent exploration of Albania's recent history by two authors able to take a frank and honest view of the situation and Europe's engagement there.

Sadly, the authors are let down by a frankly appalling editorial job by the publisher. There are far too many dreadful "typos" and page-setting errors.