Format: Hardcover|Change

on 17 April 2012
This book was far better than I expected and one of the best books I've read on the Zulu Wars. The tale of these forgotten battles of the Zulu war is captivating and very detailed. The book is a must buy for the understanding of the zulu war, which is much more than Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift. The only criticism to make of this excellent work is the absence of maps of the battles, the descriptions are highly detailed but would benefit a lot with a few maps.
on 15 June 2012
Forgotten Battles of the Zulu War

Adrian Greaves has done it again with his 'Forgotten Battles of the Zulu War'. Like all his other books,it is honest and straight forward, great prose with vivid detail. Here we find how the Zulu War was really fought. With no punches pulled he details the heroes from the villians and cowards like no other author. I knew about these forgotten battles but not in the detail that Adrian portrays.
I have two other books by Adrian Greaves both brilliantly written, I will be buying more of his books until I have them all.
Thanks Adrian, a great read.
on 16 January 2013
a good account of the lesser known battles of the war. Once again Adrian Greaves knowledge of the war and is assessments of the battles are very good. I also found informative a guide on how to get to these lesser known battle fields. A good book to add to your Zulu war collection.
on 11 May 2014
This book is to be welcomed, as it covers aspects of the Anglo-Zulu War not described elsewhere. The maps are better than those in the Isandlwana book, but could still be better. Only one map per battle is provided, whereas more would be better to track the progress of each action. The book includes accounts of two battles which were not part of the Zulu war, ie. the Battles of Tsate and Bronkhorstspruit. I suppose they were included because they followed so closely after the Zulu war. Having made this decision, why are they treated differently, in that no maps are provided? My major gripe is that it is stated on the dustwrapper (and duplicated on the Amazon description) that the death of the Prince Regent is examined in detail. It is not. There is one paragraph about the incident in the chapter on Ulundi, and an appendix providing details of his family tree. This is a pity, as, although the incident was not a battle, it is one of the most interesting aspects of the war.
on 17 November 2015
It has given me a whole new outlook on the snobbery and stupidity of the officer class in Victorian England. A great book, although I am saddened at the state of the forgotten graves of those brave men.