4.0 out of 5 stars Sniper in Helmand
A well written and interesting account of the life of a soldier in Afghanistan although I felt it lacked detail.
I am sure there was more James could have told us about his experances.
I did like it but it left me a bit flat.
Published on 18 Feb 2012 by Bob

1.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing
Published on 9 April 2012 by Mark Time

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing, 9 April 2012
This review is from: Sniper in Helmand (Hardcover)
I found this book very difficult to get into for some reason. Maybe the author was far too keen to get talking about his tour in Afghanistan as he seems to skip over the earlier part of his career with no mention at all of his tour in Iraq. The book seems to be trying to emulate 'Sniper One' by Dan Mills but falls far short of what is a very superior read. Sniper in Helmand did not exite me, and I found it by far the least gripping book about the Afghan war; and I have read most of them. I often found myself skipping whole sections in the book in the hope that it would somehow pick up. For me it never did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sniper in Helmand, 18 Feb 2012
Bob (Witham St Hughs, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sniper in Helmand (Hardcover)
I am sure there was more James could have told us about his experances.
I did like it but it left me a bit flat.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sniper..., 17 Mar 2012
This review is from: Sniper in Helmand (Hardcover)
How this book has four stars is beyond me. I am a sniper myself with tours of afghanistan under my belt so feel I am fairly qualified to review this. This is nothing but someone who thinks they are special forces. He dismisses his time in Iraq to a few sentences and talks about his fellow infantry men (gravelbellies) as sub standard. Maybe he should remember he was once a "gravelbelly" and have a look in the mirror. After speaking to people who were snipers on this tour as well. I have found out that a fair bit of what the auther is saying is actually a lot of porky pies.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not brilliant, worth reading if you are interested in Snipers, 18 Jun 2013
This review is from: Sniper in Helmand (Hardcover)
The book is not very well written and has, in my opinion been poorly edited. That said the author has an interesting story to tell and the book is worth reading if you are specifically interested in the role of a sniper in Afghanistan. I can't comment on the accuracy of the content, I understand that some other reviewers have taken issue with this. My 3 stars is purely a review of the book itself, not of the author. I have a great deal of respect for anyone who has operated in his role in Helmand.

1.0 out of 5 stars He goes on about his first kill which makes him sound pretty amateur! and I don't get the point of ..., 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: Sniper in Helmand (Paperback)
In my humble opinion there are going to be a lot of civilians that will read this and think it's very interesting. To any ex or serving soldiers who have done tours of afghan and Iraq, this guy is basically a bit of a crow bag who basically bigs himself up a bit too much. He goes on for a fair while about failing the Royal Marines, he failed his sniper course, but employed as a battalion sniper anyway (standards)! He always seems to be on the fringes of the stories and not really engaging in the contacts! He goes on about his first kill which makes him sound pretty amateur! and I don't get the point of the book!! It's likes boring list of things he nearly got involved in or heard what the other guys were up to. Lots more entertaining books out there for less money. Don't waste you're pennies!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A soldier's review., 15 May 2014
A very realistic account of front line life without arrogance or any stupid jingoism. The description of the relationship of soldiers with each other and the trust that will never be found civilian life shines through as remembered by all who have been in harm's way for Queen and country. A bloody good read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 9 May 2014
If you're looking for a factual war book to live up to the many that are out there...this is not it! Essentially it's a diary and a poor one. No content. None of the gripping real terror that these soldiers feel. No empathy for anyone.

A big long boring list....I couldn't even be bothers to finish it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book mate!!, 3 Feb 2014
Other than a few literacy errors (nothing major), absolutely fantastic!! Really enjoyed reading this. Had the pleasure of meeting Teddy and a couple other of the sniper lads down at Pirbright during my basic training at Catterick. We drove down for the day to see what Regiment was like, and this was in Feb 2008 so just after this tour!!
Anyways about the book, great read and very close to home. Alex Hawkins was from the village my dad lives in. Its good to read something about my home Regiment and see just how good they are. Well done boys! Well done James.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad But Better Editing Required, 24 Jan 2014
I got this book on the basis that I know a couple of people who JC writes about and 1 Royal Anglian are my local infantry battalion. It was a decent read but it was let down by poor editing. Basic mistakes such as incorrectly spelling peoples names (such as Chris from the Royal Gibraltar Regiment) and place names are inexcusable and should have been picked up on the first draft. I know it does seem a little pedantic but when names have been correctly spelt originally and then miss-spelt afterwards is annoying, especially when you know the bloke whose name is being miss-spelt!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sniper in Helmand, 14 Jan 2014
Mrs. Y. Setters (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sniper in Helmand (Hardcover)
Bought as a present for member of family (as requested). Not had feed-back yet (Probably still engrossed in it). Ha ha

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Sniper in Helmand
Sniper in Helmand by James Cartwright (Hardcover - 20 Oct 2011)
13.59