5.0 out of 5 stars The horror of it all!
Published 13 months ago by Mrs. E. A. Marks

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat voyeuristic list of atrocities.
Published 4 months ago by Alastair

5.0 out of 5 stars The horror of it all!, 23 Sep 2013
Mrs. E. A. Marks "Annie~~" (Isle of Wight, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Real Tenko: Extraordinary True Stories of Women Prisoners of the Japanese (Paperback)
I bought this because I'm a huge fan of the television series, Tenko, and now on my third or fourth time of watching it I'm still overwhelmed by their portrayal of the horror of it all. This book has made me shudder! The real Tenko was twice as bad as the television series suggested. Dear God, sometimes it made me wonder how these poor women ever survived, and it doesn't surprise me that the bitterness has gone on for so long.
As it happens one of my closest friends is Japanese; she wasn't born until just after the war, like me, but she's not afraid to talk about it if I ask her questions. All I can say is that the Japanese, as a people, are very, very different now ... it is frightening what indoctrination can do to a race, especially, as she regularly tells me, military indoctrination.

5.0 out of 5 stars fab book,very fast delivery, 14 July 2014
really good book,very interesting

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Tenko, 9 Jun 2014
Great read a book you can read over and over and I enjoy true stories happy with item a good night time read

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat voyeuristic list of atrocities., 29 May 2014
I found this book rather tedious, to be honest. It is not very well written, and comes across more as a list of atrocities than as an investigative and objective report. That said, there's no denying the shocking scale of the crimes committed in the name of the Emperor. The book does hammer home the fact that these crimes were taking place throughout the Japanese gulag network, and so must have been the product of deliberate policy from Tokyo (and, by extension, Hirohito himself). If, like me, you get irritated by books that aren't written very well you'll probably want to give this one a miss. However, if you're especially interested in this part of history it's worth giving it a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Oct 2014