5.0 out of 5 stars If You are Interested In The Pals Battalions-Here Is One For You, 18 Jun 2012
This review is from: Birmingham Pals (Hardcover)
This is a splendid publication that is packed to the hilt with a combination of interesting information and superb photographs, therefore making it a must buy for anyone interested in the Birmingham City Battalions who served during the Great War under the title of The Birmingham Pals. This title was originally published some years ago, however this hard back edition is a much more handsome and in my opinion a better investment as it is more durable and easier to read than the earlier publication which was produced in the larger format! The list of Gallantry Awards and the detailed Roll of Honour will be appreciated by family history researchers and medal collectors alike. Therefore,all in all excellent value for money volume and a very welcome addition to my library.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best "pals" histories, 17 Oct 2011
Chris Baker "The Long, Long Trail man" (Leamington Spa, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Birmingham Pals (Hardcover)
Originally published in 2007 in a rather unwieldy large-format softback typical of the "Pals" series produced by Pen & Sword, this is a truly welcome reprint of one of the very best unit histories. Terry Carter trawled the archives of his native city of Birmingham for many years in researching for this book, which covers the whole war as experienced by the three Birmingham City Battalions. Their story is similar to that of many "pals" units, but their most significant introduction to the realities of the Great War came not on 1 July 1916 but just over three weeks later, when they took part in attacks near High Wood. A terrific piece of work, highly readable, brilliantly illustrated - and a fine tribute to the Brummies who fought. This hardback version is a much more durable and shelf-friendly artefact than the original and if I have a gripe at all it is the continued absence of an index.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is amazing as he always avoided speaking about it, 6 July 2014
R. Wileman "rosie" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birmingham Pals (Kindle Edition)
Having finally brought together all the memorabilia of my father's experiences in WW1 - as a private in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, promoted to 2nd Lieutenant in the Worcestershire Regiment and finally as a pilot of Sopwith planes - I discovered this detailed account of the battalions formed by the thousand of Birmingham men who volunteered to fight in the first few weeks.

It is extremely well researched yet presented in a very readable format. I have it on Kindle, so the photos aren't always clear. I am reading it with my father's telegrams and postcards beside me; it all fits with the general account. I thought I would skip the bits pertaining to the battalions dad wasn't in, but have found that it is so gripping that I have to read every word. I am almost living every day with him. This is amazing as he always avoided speaking about it, except funny bits in training, for example. I am quite amazed that he survived.

If you have a family member of the Birmingham Pals, I cannot recommend this book highly enough. I just wish I could find something similar that deals with his later experiences.

4.0 out of 5 stars I must confess an excellent book, more so for those who are exs ..., 1 July 2014
This review is from: Birmingham Pals (Hardcover)
I must confess an excellent book,more so for those who are exs who served with the regiment,which includes myself,along with my great grandfather,who was on those front lines,but such a waste of life at the end of the day,is my only comment on it

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: Birmingham Pals (Hardcover)
bought this for my dad for fathers day and he loved a must for anybody who lives in birmingham and is interested in its history

5.0 out of 5 stars Birmingham Pals by Terry Carter, 1 April 2014
This review is from: Birmingham Pals (Kindle Edition)
One of the best books that I have read,very moving; a lot of information about Birmingham men and young boys who gave everything for King and country. I couldn't put the book down! I read about men who died from the area I grew up;who gave everything; very moving and also sad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Birmingham Pals., 14 Feb 2014
Michael James Talbot (Birmingham, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birmingham Pals (Kindle Edition)
Quite rightly I want to read about the heroes of my own city. I am a proud "Brummie." Sometimes Birmingham is airbrushed out of British history so this publication, by Terry Carter, goes a long way to address that wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars world war 1., 19 Dec 2013
B. E. Mason - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birmingham Pals (Hardcover)
perfect book just what I wanted.I am always looking for books about the 1st world war.to keep my interest going.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Birmingham Pals, 5 Dec 2013
Michael Humphrey (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birmingham Pals (Kindle Edition)
Highly informative book that for once does not moan and grizzle or make idiotic judgement's. War is a dirty business, the 1st war particularly so. Damn good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Birmingham Pals, 24 April 2014
Jeff Brookes (Leicestershire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birmingham Pals (Kindle Edition)
Not surprising, this was heart breaking at the waste of life and the total disregard for human life, just shows what total incompetence & ineptitude of our senior staff officers.

Birmingham Pals
Birmingham Pals by Terry Carter (Hardcover - 24 Mar 2011)
17.00