5.0 out of 5 stars The Roman War Machine Let loose In France., 22 April 2014
This review is from: Roman Conquests: Gaul (Hardcover)
I can't praise this book highly enough it captured my imagination and fed my hungry brain with digestible information from both sides of the conflict and believe me on the Gaul side there is a lot of it. Every tribe, their leaders, locations and tactics are all brought in to the picture as one by one they are subdued by Roman charm, sword or siege and it is in the latter that the Romans excelled culminating in one of history's most brutal, Alesia.
Of course all of this was masterminded by one man, military genius, cunning politician, and hard as roman nails he shaped the world we live in now and was light years ahead of anyone or anything to be found in the world BCE so it's not surprising the book takes a lot of information from his The Gallic Wars but the author ( Michael M. Sage ) is not afraid to say when he thinks things have been spiced up or actions have become difficult to explain because our genius is being deliberately vague. What a pity our man was cut down by a bunch of cowards we may have got another conquest out of him and another brilliant book out of Mr Sage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marius & Cæsar in Gallic France, 1 Dec 2013
Kjeld Frimuth Hansen "Wiking" (Odense, Daenemark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roman Conquests: Gaul (Hardcover)
As a Dane I was interested to read about the Cimbri & Teutones, who travelled 'Tour de Europe' for new land. But this was not America and their story ended heroic - but sad. Travelling much in France I have seen many of the places mentioned in the book, but Alesia I think is the most interesting. One has to visit the place, where Vercingetorix faught Cæsar in 52 BC.

Roman Conquests: Gaul
Roman Conquests: Gaul by Michael Sage (Hardcover - 18 Aug 2011)