4.0 out of 5 stars A rich, personal account of a forgotten war., 13 Feb 2010
Ned Middleton (British professional underwater photo-journalist & author) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Conscript in Korea (Hardcover)
If I have one single regret from my own former army service, it is a lack of photographs showing myself in various ranks, different countries and changing situations - though largely because I was always the one with the camera! In this book, however, author Neville Williams has no shortage of pictures which combine well with an honest, and very readable, prose to bring this man's National Service in Korea back to life.

Called up for National Service in 1951 and enlisted into the Welch Regiment, this man's two mandatory years in uniform included a full 12 months service in war-torn Korea. Few personal accounts of the Korean War from the ordinary rank-and-file are known to exist and this book will, therefore, add a new dimension to what is already known of that particularly bitter and bloody conflict.

The author's recollections range from; Recruit training, battalion life, preparations for active service, Korea with temperatures as low as an incredible minus 45 - which contrasted starkly to the mosquito laden monsoons of the summer months, danger, battles, Christmas, prisoners, poetry, burying comrades, R&R in Tokyo and much more. In short this is a complete account of one man's service at that time. Born in 1930, how easy would it have been for him to have forgotten "at least some" of the names of his former comrades - but not so. As each account, story and anecdote appears page by page, so it is easy for the reader to find themselves right back there, alongside this former civilian-come-soldier, in the early 1950s and for whom the experience of war and National Service remains as vivid and real today as it did when just concluded.

An excellent read from a writer who has simply set out to tell his own story. That task is accomplished with an honest, no-nonsense style of writing which will appeal to historians, soldiers and all those who simply enjoy a good read on a factual subject.

NM

5.0 out of 5 stars Service in the Korean war, from a conscripts expereience., 19 May 2013
This review is from: A Conscript in Korea (Hardcover)
I would strongly recommend this book to any one interested in the Korean war. Often looked at as a side show, this book reveals the harsh conditions of front line service in an exceedingly tough climate, with extremes of heat & cold, drought & Monsoon flood.
All this plus a determined Chinese communist army as a foe, made life very demanding indeed, especially for a National
Service man! Finally, I am sure readers will warm to the very decent person that Neville Williams really is.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Conscript In Korea, 8 Jan 2010
Mrs. L. A. Smith "Lesley "korean war"" ((nottingham,England)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Conscript in Korea (Hardcover)
My Husband is reading the book now cant leave it alone brings back so many memories for him
He served in Korea for 18mths as a regular solider.
would recomend this book be read by all as gives insight what our boys went through and is history.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of that Vintage, 8 Mar 2010
This review is from: A Conscript in Korea (Hardcover)
I did not serve in Korea, but several of my friends did. I found the book very interesting, written as it was from the 'Squaddie's' perspective. Though I suggest that the author was/is not the average NS private. A thoroughly good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Korean Veteran myself , served with 45 Regt Royal Artillery !950 /51, 24 Jan 2014
Well written book very factual, I moved out from the battle zone when when the 1st Battalion Welch Regt moved in, things
had changed quite a bit from my era , they had by this time received better clothing and equipment. They still suffered the
extreme cold as we did in the winter of 1950/51. Our roles were much different as the infantrymen were in the front line most of the time , our guns were behind them to provide artillery barrages when required, as a Royal Artillery signaller we
also spent periods with the infantry to relay fire orders back to the guns. My period there of course was the battle of the
Imjin which is well portrayed in other books on the Korean. I think that most of the lads who suffered this fruitless conflict
have reflected on the terrible loss of life , not only to the military on both sides, but to the civilian populations in particular
the women and children. I like many other veterans when reflecting suffer an overwhelming guilt complex. There as always been a bone of contention by British Servicemen that Korea was the war that Britain wanted to forget, conflicts
like the Falklands and latterly Iraq and Afghanistan given far more credence than Korea.

4.0 out of 5 stars A conscript in Korea, 25 Sep 2012
This review is from: A Conscript in Korea (Hardcover)
I must congratulate Neville for providing us with all the trials and tribulations that were the National Serviceman's lot in the 1950's. A thoroughly good read that I would recommend to readers of military history who might know very little about our war so far from home.I found Neville's rendition of the old Korean folk song quite hilarious, and I can understand the laughter from the Korean porters. Neville, you might care to know that the correct words in Anglicised Korean are as follows:
"Arirang, arirang, arariyo,
Arirang kogae ru nomo kanda,
Na rul porigo, ka shinun nim un,
Shim ni do motkaso pal pyung nan da."
Check it out on You Tube anytime.
Well done mate.

A Conscript in Korea
A Conscript in Korea by Neville Williams (Hardcover - 19 Nov 2009)
16.65