5.0 out of 5 stars Well deserving of the Carnegie 2014 Shortlist nomination
Written in the first person, Judith has had no voice since the day she returned from the dead, and her mother's joy quickly turned to disgust.

Published 12 months ago by lyra

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth sticking with
I was unsure whether I wanted to read this book at first but as it was on offer on Amazon and all the reviews on here seemed to love it, I thought I'd take the plunge and try it.

Published 15 months ago by fennerstuk

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Well deserving of the Carnegie 2014 Shortlist nomination, 5 April 2014

The book is written in a curious way with the reader having to unravel the backstory for themselves. Identified as a 14+ by the Carnegie Shortlist, the age limit is a good guideline as Judith's story is harrowing, echoing the position of many women today who have no voice. It is set in a specific religious and cultural setting but Berry makes the characters her focus, and despite the historical context they remain accessible.

Her only concession to this being a YA novel is the ending, which some may applaud and others may feel is a little too convenient. An intelligent, well written and emotional tale - highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mortal Moments, 12 Sept. 2013
This review is from: All The Truth That's In Me (Hardcover)
Wow!!! When I first read the blurb for this book I did not expect to read such an AMAZING book! It has blown me away and I was sad to end such a beautiful book!

All the Truth That's in Me is a story set around probably just under a century ago I think (if my little knowledge of history hasn't failed me!) Normally I'm into my contemporary stories but this story captivated me from beginning to end and i fell in love with it and mesmerised by it.

The story is told in 1st person in the point if view of Judith. A normal, average girl, Judith is one day snatched away from her happy life when her tongue is savagely cut so she loses the ability to speak. Two years after her disappearance she returns to a broken family as her father died soon after she disappeared. Now to make matters worse, the whole neighbourhood, including her mother believe that she is cursed and now start to ignore her existence and stay away from her as if she is diseased or something. She loses her name, her identity and is only spoken to when given orders so there is no need for her to answer. One thing keeps Judith going though in this horrible, worthless life of hers. Her love for Lucas the village boy who she has known since childhood is her only hope. His love is the only thing that can cure her. But the question is that would he be willing to choose her, the mute cursed girl over the beautiful maidens that are desperately wanting and waiting for his attention?

Judith, the protagonist is an average girl but a traumatic incident changes her life forever. However with the absence of her tongue her mind speaks very attentively and she doesn't miss a thing. Soon I started feeling sorry and protective for her. Her character was very realistic and friendly and I became attached to her throughout the story. Although without the ability to speak she is neither assertive or weak . She will do anything for those she loves and is very admirable for her strength, bravery and patience.

The storyline was very thought out and excellently written. I thought it was predictable at first, thinking "i bet thats what happened", Igot proved wrong as so many surprises were lying just round the corner and I was just left shocked thinking "Didn't see that one coming!" Full of mysteries unfolding slowly, keeping the reader intrigued. Also the story was very fast-paced and I couldn't put it down once I'd started as there wasn't one event less or boring moment that i just had to keep on reading!

The story explores many topics but the main one is Love. Not that of a lover but love for family and friends too. Loyalty and friendship played a huge part in this story as well. It's not one of those books that you read and then move onto the next and forget about it, there were many lessons, especially for myself, a reminder of how many bounties and blessings I have that I should be thankful for. It carries a deep message and is one of those books that will be treasured by be as I felt very touched by it.

A beautifully written, fast-paced, eloquent love story full of emotion, tragedies and adventure.A lost girl who struggles with traumatic events of her past that have pursued her until this day and hopes to move on and ceases to exist.

There's this one quote that just fitted perfectly with the story that I wanted to share :
"A secret weighs on us, a terrible secret weighs with a terrible weight."
― Sue Miller, While I Was Gone

Thank you to TemplarPublishing for providing me with a review copy of the book. I really appreciate it! :)

For more Reviews : [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book everyone should read, 23 Jan. 2014
R. O'donnell "thewaffle" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All The Truth That's In Me (Hardcover)
Wow. That is really all I need to say about this book.

As you can probably tell, I loved All the Truth That's In Me. Not least because I read it in one sitting.

This book is the story of Judith who, a few years ago, vanished with her best friend. Not long after, her friend's body is found, but it is only years later that Judith reappears, her tongue cut out.

But the mystery is not the main thrust of this story. It's an important element, but this book is more focussed on the fact that as a girl, Judith has her voice taken from her, literally, but also figuratively, by the people of her town. And it is not only Judith, but ALL women. Judith's struggle to regain her voice, prompted by a female friend, is what All the Truth That's In Me is REALLY about.

And I loved it.

But be warned, this book is dark and troubling. But it's also very thought-provoking and spectacularly written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never judge a book by its cover (or blurb), 15 April 2014
This is not a book I wanted to read. The cover didn't appeal, and there wasn't enough information on the blurb for me to make a decision. But when it was shortlisted for the 2014 Carnegie medal I thoguht I'd give it a go and I'm very glad I did. Set in an undetermind time in America , but probably the late 1600s into the early 1700s and in a Puritan or Quaker community. This is the story of Judith who was abducted by a man (later revealed), kept for a few years and then released with her tongue cut out, so she couldn't tell. The villages treat her as an outcast and her own mother doesn't want her to try and speak - so she doesn't, until the day a schoolfriend encourages her and that later proves to be her salvation. To tell any more would spoil the story.

This story is told in very short "chapters", arranged in 4 books. Why I'm not sure, and it's neither a help or a hindrance, but ti perhaps makes the book read faster? It's not necessary. Very moving and I'm glad to say, not an entirely predictable ending. Well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for 13-Adult!, 19 July 2014
Mr. Ed "edsheadsaid" (Japan) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
As a shortlisted title for the 2014 Carnegie-Medal, the quality of the writing and story-telling on offer here are beyond question.

Julie Berry has created a sensitive masterpiece, and as an adult reader, I found the book hard to put down, and finished it in a few hours. This is perfect for teens, as it is not challenging in scope or design, and offers a fantastic window to the world of more adult fiction.

There are grand themes at work here, which are finely balanced, and never patronising. Equality, the mistreatment of the weak and disabled, the judgment of those who are in a minority, and uneducated sentiment are put in stark focus.

The story itself is warming, harrowing, and completely gripping from start to finish. I would highly recommend this for mature young adults from the age of 13 to adult.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth sticking with, 29 Jan. 2014

I have to say that I did not like this book at the beginning and was almost ready to give it up. I found the writing confusing and bitty. I didn't like the jump between memories of Judith's childhood to present day to being taken etc. It all appeared extremely random and I did not enjoy it. However, I decided to stick with it and I was so glad that I did. Once I warmed to the writing style and the different time jumps I really started to love this book.

Reading through, what were in essence, Judith's thoughts sometimes seemed almost intrusive but it worked. Most people's thoughts are completely random and in that aspect this book was very cleverly written. As the book progressed I came to really care about Judith and what happened to her. I felt heartbroken about how her mother treated her after she came back and wasn't 'whole' but I loved her relationship with her brother. Judith sacrificed everything for the people in her life and thought little for herself. She was a wonderful heroine and surprised everyone who thought they knew her. I felt so much empathy for her towards the end of the book as she finally realised her dreams only to have them stolen once more. This was such a heartbreaking tale which, thankfully, did have a happy ending after all.

There were some great twists within this story which I was not expecting and really added to my enjoyment of the whole thing. I also loved the that this was set (I'm assuming) somewhere within the mid 1800's - of course I could be mistaken. However, the time period really worked for the story which was being told and it was refreshing not to have all the modern day noise that can sometimes distract from a story like this.

I would recommend anyone thinking about reading this to keep going and give the book a chance as it's worth getting to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars It took me a little while to get into this ..., 10 Jan. 2015
It took me a little while to get into this as the style was initially off-putting, being all in present tense, short sections and jumping about between past and present. I got used to it after the first few pages, though, and was soon gripped by the story and characters. This is an unusual book, it stands out from many other YA novels, and is definitely worth reading if you want something different. The initial effort paid off for me and I was sorry to come to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars All the Truth That's in Me, 11 Jan. 2014
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: All The Truth That's In Me (Hardcover)
All the Truth That's in Me is a fantastic book. I almost read it in one sitting (work unfortunately got in the way), and I savoured every page as I got to the end. It's beautifully written; shocking, hopeful and heartbreaking all at once.

I don't want to say too much about the plot, because to do that would be to ruin the reading experience. The main gist is that a girl, Judith, returns home after being missing for two years. Her friend Lottie is dead, and Judith's tongue has been brutally cut from her body. She's been forced into silence, unable to speak or tell of her ordeal. The only light in Judith's life is the boy she's loved all her life, her childhood friend Lucas. It's harrowing stuff, made all the worse by what has been and what is still to come.

This book is written using second-person narrative, which I'm quite unfamiliar with. It's written from Judith's perspective, as if she's writing to Lucas, using 'you' and 'your'. Off the top of my head I can't think of another YA book written in this way, though there must be some and I'm sure I've encountered it myself along the way. If I have, none have been as memorable or as well utilised as All the Truth That's in Me, and that's testament to Julie Berry's writing.

I quickly fell in love with Judith and Lucas and everyone else in their complicated lives. Judith's brother, Darrel, was a highlight for me, as well as Judith's friend, Maria. These people all rally together to help Judith get her life back: they help her try to learn to read and speak again, and ultimately they're more supportive that Judith's own mother. Without them she would have drowned in despair, becoming nothing but a silent, withered shell. With them, she has a fighting chance.

All the Truth That's in Me is so powerful and stayed in my head for weeks after finishing it. It's part mystery, part love story, with so much more in between. It's poetic, original and easily one of the most powerful YA novels to hit shelves. I defy you to read this book and not be completely consumed until reaching the last page. Even then, I wanted to flip back to the beginning and start all over again. Just brilliant.

4.5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, 13 July 2014
i cannot understand how cold-hearted someone could be to give this 1 star! atruly magical story with an enthralling plot and cleverly written characters. definitely for older readers, though, for men tryto take advantage of Judith being mute more than once! overall rating: 10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Finding her voice again, 15 Jun. 2014
A beautiful story about love, dysfunctional family relationships, and fitting in. It is set in an unspecified place and time in a small community with strict sexual mores. The heroine has been kidnapped, had her tongue cut out so she can't tell what has happened to her, and returned to this community. She feels, and is often treated, as if she is to blame for the things that have been done to her. As the book progresses she begins to find her voice and move on from being a victim.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

All The Truth That's In Me
All The Truth That's In Me by Julie Berry (Hardcover - 31 Aug. 2013)