5.0 out of 5 stars Mamoko welcomes you too, 9 Nov 2014
This review is from: Welcome to Mamoko (Hardcover)
Welcome to Mamoko is the first of the three excellent books in this series.

Apart from initial description of characters the book consitst only of illustrations. But what amazing illustrations they are! The characters are animals, there are city scenes, park scenes, market square, train station, underground, planes, cars, bikes, fire engines, buses. A detective is looking through a magnifying glass, an alien is taking a picture, turtle has a hole in his bag and lost all his apples - now they are scattered throughout all the pages.The illustrations aren't as small and crowded as in "Where is Wally?" (making it more suitable for younger kids too) and there is a sequence, a story to follow from page to page. This is one way you can use this book: choose a character and tell its story through the pages but there are so many more ways: look and find, talk about characters and places, make up stories, describe what's happening.

The book has a lot of details which would make it a bit overwhelming for babies but toddlers will exclaim with excitement many times whilst watching the same page (animals, trains etc.) and listening to the stories you or their older siblings may want to tell them. The older kids will be chatting away and you won't even realize when you start as well.

It is a large (bigger than A4) board book but it doesn't feel very thick and chunky, pages are rather slim (for a board book). It comes to its advantage as your kids will go through it over and over again so it will last.

I would recommend this book together with "Mamoko in the Time of Dragons" and "The World of Mamoko in the Year 3000". They are engaging and kids come back to them time and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun little book, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Welcome to Mamoko (Hardcover)
This book was a great find for my sons aged 5 and 8. The five-year-old enjoys it especially, and picks out characters to either follow on his own or have us narrate the story for him. Except for the character description at the start, there are no words, so we can make up our own story every time. The illustrations are cute.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for young kids!, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: Welcome to Mamoko (Hardcover)
I bought it for my 5 year old son and he loves it. He is not a real chatterbox but with this book, he can make up a thousand and one stories! I think it's brilliant if you want your kids to tell you stories instead of you reading stories at bed time. Good buy and I would recommend it for young kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best children's book buy yet, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Welcome to Mamoko (Hardcover)
We bought this for our 2 year old at Christmas and it remains one of her favourite bedtime books, whether she is making up the stories herself or we are. There is so much detail that you are forever finding new things on each page, no matter how many times you've read it! One of those children's books that actually appeals to kids and adults of all ages. Incredibly clever and inspiring. I wish there were more books like this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic find, 21 Jan 2014
H. Kerr - See all my reviews
This review is from: Welcome to Mamoko (Hardcover)
I don't usually write reviews but I've been recommending this book to anyone who will listen. As a huge fan of children's books and mum of a very distracted 2 year old, I've been hunting for a book like this. It's a perfect way to truly engage and tell stories to each other in your own words.

It's great for a quick "can you find..." type activity or to take longer to follow one character throughout the whole book. It's beautifully illustrated too. I had already bought Richard Scarry and Where's Wally books in the hope of creating an interactive story type experience for the two of us and accidentally stumbled upon this. The other two don't even get a look in from my son.

It's big and chunky but not babyish. I'll definitely be ordering the other titles for his birthday.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book is like where's wally, 29 Sep 2014
This review is from: Welcome to Mamoko (Hardcover)
This book was bought as a 2nd birthday present for my daughter. We haven't stopped 'reading' this book for 11 months now on almost a daily basis! The book is like where's wally, it hast got any words and there are about 15 characters, each one has a story and some of them entwine with each other. The drawings are absolutely lovely and the stories are really cute and you can talk around them. My daughter's favourite characters have changed over time, and she knows which characters hang out with who, what their names are, what they are doing and asks lots of questions. Its a fantastic book for those just learning to speak as we used to just point things out, now we have full on conversations about what the characters are doing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming and entertaining, 15 July 2014
noc "noc" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Welcome to Mamoko (Hardcover)
This is a lovely, charming book. I bought it for my (almost) two year old and I'd say I have had as much, if not more, fun following the various stories. The illustrations are intricate, funny and colourful. This is a great idea for a book. At first I was a little disappointed that there were only 8 double-pages. However, there are so many stories that, if you count these separately, there is much more substance to the book than one might think at first glance. It's a clever idea and an inspiring one too. For an older child, trying to recreate their own version in a copybook (i.e. a series of pictures with stories for each character) would be an interesting exercise for example. I'm really happy with this purchase and I will look out for more titles by these creators.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, he loves it, we all love it!, 6 April 2014
This review is from: Welcome to Mamoko (Hardcover)
My three-year-old son adores this book. There are no words, but a selection of characters whose activities throughout the day can be followed from page to page as you hunt for them and then 'use your eyes' to tell the story of what they are getting up to. Different characters interact with each other as they bump into each other or their paths cross in the course of their journey. Follow old Mrs Full Wool as she wakes up, takes a walk through the park, then buys bread and rents a boat before heading to the lake to feed the swans (meeting up again with her parrot Ada whose own story can be followed as she attempts to lose a particularly attentive cat). My boy chooses this book every night time and will take it in turns with me to pick a character and tell their story page-by-page. Innovative, quirky and fun. Good for parents with a little imagination who are bored of repeating the same trite storylines and enjoy engaging in storytime past simply reciting words on a page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Nov 2014
James Low (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Welcome to Mamoko (Hardcover)
great book, we read this a lot!

Welcome to Mamoko
Welcome to Mamoko by Daniel Mizielinski (Hardcover - 1 Sep 2013)