5.0 out of 5 stars Truly awesome, 3 Mar 2014
Extremely good book.can't wait to read the next book!
Kat is extremely arrogant in this book and I'm so glad that she finally got things sorted

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 25 Feb 2014
What an amazing book!
Filled with superb vocabulary and amusing happenings, this book makes the perfect combination of entertainment quality and a classic good storyline. I recommend this book for young girls 10+, and I'm sure they would thoroughly enjoy and appreciate this fantastic book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still wow, 20 Aug 2013
She's done it again enchanted me and others in her following book,which is amazing!
I liked this book series because she gets older,and she solves all this magical mysteries. It's a Book that makes your heart race and you just want to yell out to the characters.
I would recommend this book for 11 up because it's mysterious and clever with loads of adventure facts and cunning schemes,seriously Give them a go!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazingly brilliant, 2 April 2013
i love this book and i finished it in bath as well. i love the book as you grow with the characters.recomend to 10-19. best book ever.

4.0 out of 5 stars More brilliant from Kat Stephenson, 4 Nov 2012
This review is from: A Tangle of Magicks (Unladylike Adventures of Kat Stephenson) (Paperback)
A Tangle of Magicks is 300 pages of fun, fabulousness and magical frolics.

I know I mentioned Kat's awesomeness briefly in my review of A Most Improper Magick, but to match her increase in awesome, I thought I'd expand it a little! Kat is the type of girl that I wish I was when I was twelve. She's strong, fiercely loyal and completely kick-ass. When it comes to her family and the people she loves, there's nothing she wouldn't do. For all of her often disastrous plans, I was glad that she has a clueless older brother to teach her questionable skills such as `fisticuffs', billiards and wrestling that are most definitely unladylike and actually very useful.

And speaking of Charles: what a completely hopeless man he is. In the Regency period, a man was judged so acutely on his conduct in society and he spent his days sleeping or gambling! And then it took something potentially dangerous for him to step up to defend his little sisters from the grubby hands of horrible men. If that wasn't enough, he then went on to get himself involved in one of the most dangerous magical plots, unwittingly of course, that he possibly could with only Kat and the Guardian's having enough power to save him. But he was kind of endearing at the same time...

There were, however, some characters in A Tangle of Magicks that were most definitely NOT endearing: Lady Fotherington and Lord Ravenscroft. My dislike of them began in A Most Improper Magick and only exploded in this instalment of the series. They're so mean! I do hate it when horrible people have so much power. Though I have to admit that there was a moment during the final showdown when Lady Fotherington showed a hint of goodness; not enough to completely redeem her, however.

But I think that one of my favourite elements of A Tangle of Magicks is its setting: Bath. As some of you may know, I go to university in Bath and it has quickly worked its way into my heart. Stephanie Burgis's evocative depiction of the city I now call my home stirred up quite a lot of emotions as I'm back where I grew up for the summer and missing Bath like a crazy person. As the Stephenson's and the Wingate's walked past the Abbey (my favourite place in the city), into the Pump Rooms or past the Roman Baths, I exploded with jealousy. I could envisage that walk so, so clearly that I had to stop reading because it made me so sad! Thankfully, I will be back in Bath next month to meet Stephanie herself and move into my new house.

I loved A Tangle of Magicks and if you haven't read this series yet; do it! You won't regret it, I promise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and entertaining, 1 April 2012
A Tangle of Magicks is the second book in the Unladylike Adventures of Kat Stephenson. After the events taking place in the first book, Kat's family has entirely changed. Well, not exactly, her father still doesn't say much, her brother still sleeps all the time and her step-mother is as ruthless as ever. But Kat is now a Guardian, after inheriting her mother's power, Angeline is a witch and getting better at it and Elissa is getting married to the love of her life Mr Collingwood! The wedding is ready and all the guests are here when something gasp-worthy happens! Even if the marriage continues, Kat's family (minus Elissa who goes to live with Mr Collingwood) flees to Bath to one of Kat's step-mother "acquaintances". In Bath, Kat obviously can't prevent herself to stay out of trouble!

I absolutely adored A Most Improper Magick and loved this book even more! I think this is one of the most original, interesting and entertaining series out there. Kat is quite simply unique - her voice in the book is so clear that it is an absolute pleasure to read and the most extraordinary things happen to her so you're definitely in for a ride!

Angeline is full of dark thoughts and acts very recklessly in the book and I found it really touching how Kat doesn't let her do this even if Angeline is older and should know better. We get to see more of Kat's brother Charles (and a glimpse of his past) and I am starting to like him more and more. Kat's father also shows a bit more of himself and I love how family-oriented this series is. Kat would do anything for her family and has even been known to help her step-mother *gasp*!
We get to see a few more characters in this and particularly Lucy. She is roughly Kat's age and is very nice (compared to her obnoxious mother and sister). Lucy is obsessed with witchcraft (she thinks it's the ultimate cool) and is ready to get in all sorts of trouble with Kat. Their interactions made me laugh out loud several times!

This book is a bit more darker than the first one. When A Most Improper Magick looked at the widespread phenomenon of highwaymen in Regency England, the plot of A Tangle Of Magicks goes into 19th century Bath and explores the theme of old magic. I always have that feeling, when entering a very old place, that there are millenia of history present between those walls, and Stephanie Burgis brilliantly captured that feeling about the Roman baths in Bath. Through Kat's eyes, there is an old powerful magic lurking in the corners of the baths, and she feels that it might not be a magic for the best of the people. The book also shows how scary those times were for young girls and how they were preyed upon by rich men. The setting is fantastic in this book and I can't wait to read the next book in the series to see where Kat will take us!

I really loved this book and this is a fabulous series for people who like their historical fiction with a funny twist. I really cannot recommend these books enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tangled up in Magic and Mayhem, 30 Sep 2011
Mr. C. Horner "hierath" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
"A Tangle of Magicks" is the middle book of a proposed trilogy starring the most unladylike Kat Stephenson, who the reader first met, age twelve, hacking off her hair and running away to be a highwayman, in "A Most Improper Magick" - the American title, "Kat, Incorrigible" sums up our heroine very well!

Some time has passed since the most improper magical events of the previous book, and "Tangle" opens with the dramatic wedding of Kat's eldest sister Elissa, previously a calming force on wild little Kat and manipulative middle sister Angeline. With Elissa out of the way, the family decamp to fashionable Regency-era bath to find a suitable suitor for the reluctant Angeline. But ancient magic stirs beneath the Roman Baths, and soon the two sisters and their affable brother Charles find themselves entangled in the thick of it.

Although the Kat stories are set in the England of Jane Austen's time, at the very core of this family is the idea of families, and how the people you love the most can be the same people who get on your nerves more than anyone, and you don't have to have any familiarity with the period to identify with that! Kat and her siblings drive each other round the twist, and this book, while missing the dynamic that the largely absent Elissa previously lent to the family unit, benefits from bringing Charles to the forefront, while his sisters war around him. But really it's all about Kat, her latent magic, her fierce love for her irritating family. In "Tangle", she pits herself against some truly malevolent villains and still managed to emerge, if not with dignity intact, then at least on top.

It will be interesting to see how the various tangled threads of magic that run through Kat's life are knit together in the final book of the trilogy. One to look forward to!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant character development, 30 Aug 2011
Book Angel Emma (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
If A Most Improper Magick made me want to say things like 'spiffing' and 'jolly good show' let me tell you A Tangle of Magicks made Regency England come alive. I think because I have been to Bath it was so easy to picture the world Stephanie Burgis wove within my imagination. I could clearly picture the Pump Room as it would have been in that time.

I have to be truthful and say that I actually enjoyed this second book more than the first. Whereas the first book laid out some of the history and character interactions interspersed with the magic and action, this second book really allowed the characterisations to shine through. I particularly liked how Kat is starting to see that there are consequences to her actions, even if she is learning it the hard way.

Having been to Bath the imagery really brought the places to life for me. It was wonderful to imagine what the Roman Baths would have been like to Society in Regency England. How the ladies gather to gossip in the mornings, the scandal of the shared Kings Bath and the frolics of college boys in the evening all had me gigling away to myself. The incorporation of mythology into the storyline gave the magic added depth.

I still can't help but compare Kat and her family to the characters in Jane Austen's novels this may just be due to the period setting but as I said the character development in this book was amazing. I did guess the 'bad guy' in the plot but the reasons for the action and manipualtion really did make my jaw drop a wonderful incorporation of history into the narrative, it took me by surprise.

I am really looking forward to seeing what happens to Kat next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lyrical Reviews - A Tangle of Magicks by Stephanie Burgis, 6 Aug 2011
Hoorah! Kat is back, perhaps not with a vengeance, but certainly to whoop some more bad guys into shape. I was hoping Kat would end up in Bath one day because of its popularity in the Regency period but actually, Stephanie Burgis has given a much better reason for the action to take place in Bath: it is full of wonderful myth and mystery that I didn't know the half of before I read A Tangle of Magicks. I knew it went back to the Roman period but Steph takes us back long before that to the times of a much older magic and skilfully stitches together fact and fiction to create a setting that is so realistic that I am now convinced that Bath is actually brimming with magic.

My favourite characters are back - I'm a massive fan of Stepmama who I can always picture quivering with rage yet trying to maintain some dignity - and Papa and Charles have much bigger roles which I was glad to read, even if they are pretty ineffective and good at making a situation worse. Kat's poor old sister, Angeline, who was pretty unstable in A Most Improper Magick seems to have become suicidally rebellious and Kat is back in her role as the family juggler, trying to keep everyone's problems in the air. I think my favourite characters, however, have to be the baddies. Stephanie Burgis spins such a good baddy, she knows exactly which buttons to press to make me completely insane with rage. The extremely slappable Lady Fotherington is back with a new ally in Lord Ravenscroft whose ploy is to manipulate everyone into believing Kat is some kind of chronic liar. Cue my endless frustration as everyone dismisses Kat's true accounts of what happens as falsehoods but their plan actually backfires as it inflames Kat's heroism. This is what I love about Kat, she's a real roll-up-your-sleeves-and-get-on-with-it sort of heroine who doesn't need a man to rescue her every two paragraphs. The ignorance of the adults also leads Kat to find an unexpected ally in her step-cousin Lucy, who at first is rather annoying and girly but actually comes to find Kat's brand of courage - it's so refreshing for Kat to find someone who actually believes her for once and isn't ashamed of her magical antics.

The best thing about Stephanie Burgis' writing is the way she can mix humour with tension and frustration with warmth. She has a writing style that really zings and keeps you paying attention as one moment your heart is pumping and the next it's melting. There's plenty of the tongue-in-cheek shock and scandal humour that always has me giggling. The ending is pretty tense and dramatic but Kat's courage takes the real victory and finally there is vindication when the bad guys are caught out - at last I was able to start breathing properly again as my frustration subsided. It's a shame you can't pull characters out of a book and give them a slap around the face from time to time.

Well, I'm now planning my trip to Bath so that I can go and embarrass myself in the Jane Austen Centre but really there ought to be a Stephanie Burgis Centre too! A tour of Kat Stephenson's Bath anyone?

4.0 out of 5 stars A Tangle Of Magicks, 4 Aug 2011
will be as careful as I can with this post knowing that the book isn't actually out for a little while yet. Lucky for me I got to read this straight after the first book, so the story flowed really well. It would have flowed just as well with a 3 month break though.

There is some spectacular use of magic at the beginning of the book which I found fabulous! If I had magical powers I would want to be able to do what the girls are able too!

This book changes location to Bath (the location for some of Jane Austen's books, also regency era books) I absolutely LOVED this. Bath is one of my favorite places, I actually did a whole blog post on the place HERE! I can confirm the town is EXACTLY how it is described in the book. I did find myself reading and squealing a little as I knew and have visited the spots that the Stephenson's were visiting. This book also answered a question for me - what the Bath pump rooms were used for!! So huge thanks to Stephanie for that!!!

Again Stephanie wrote with funny moments, suspense, peril all of which is hugely enjoyable. I felt a lot of concern for the characters which are signs of a great writer and fantastic story!

The characters were all just as enjoyable to read about & I feel I have found mirror characters for a few of them, which I won't mention just yet. It actually made me like and even bond with the characters even more!! I will say that I could really do to have a tutor like Mr. Gregson in my life - I would definitely benefit from someone giving me some direction!!!

Another fantastic installment, that has left me wanting more - Please Stephanie Can we have some more???!

A Tangle of Magicks (Unladylike Adventures of Kat Stephenson)
A Tangle of Magicks (Unladylike Adventures of Kat Stephenson) by Stephanie Burgis (Paperback - 1 Aug 2011)
5.51