5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, 29 Sep 2010
Jenny Jones "Jenny Jones" (Highlands, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 10pm Question (Hardcover)
The 10pm Question is a heartbreakingly beautiful and sensitive book, with a brilliant narrative style that draws the reader further and further into Frankie's strange, moving and at times, completely charming world. I loved the character sketches and the descriptions of Frankie's day to day life, The Aunties, Microsoft the Dog, Sydney, Gigs, Uncle George, Gordana and Louis. But at the heart of it all, what is the most compelling about the story is the gentle unravelling of Frankie and Ma's troubled relationship and the effect it has on Frankie, which the author handles with great empathy and sensitivity.

I had to order the book from New Zealand to get hold of my copy originally, but now its released in the UK and USA I hope it gets the wider recognition it truly deserves

4.0 out of 5 stars The 10pm Question, 12 Mar 2011
This review is from: The 10pm Question (Hardcover)
This is a little gem of a novel. It is really unique and quirky, but at the same time I found it incredible accessibly and charming.

The story follows Frankie, who constantly worries. At 10pm every night it all gets too much and he has to go down the hall and ask his Ma a question - Does he have food poisoning? Is the rash on his chest cancer? Have they replaced the batteries in the smoke alarm? She is the only one who seems to take his worries seriously. When a new girl starts at his school, a girl who has her own constant stream of questions for Frankie, he starts to wonder if he's been asking the right question...

Frankie is such a great character. He's charming, genuine, funny - and I completely adored him. I loved all the other characters too. Frankie's family is awesome - Louie and Gordana are both rather lovable in their own ways - and always provide amusement. Uncle George is also very funny and I loved the interaction between Frankie and his Ma. There really is a strong sense of family in this book and I loved it for that. And, of course, you can't forget Ray Davis - sooo cute!

Gigs and Sydney were the kind of friends I could really picture Frankie having. Gigs actually reminded me a bit of Louie and Syndey seems to be very much like The Aunts - who Frankie spent a lot of his childhood with. Both are very confident and I think this is a strong attraction for Frankie.

The story itself is very character driven - very much an introspection for Frankie - leading to him finally asking the question that has always been left unasked in his family. It deals with some serious issues in an very accessible way - it all felt very genuine and I very much enjoyed all the idiosyncrasies of Frankie's character. A great book!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sense and sensitivity, 2 July 2012
H. Thompson (Sanaa. Yemen) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 10pm Question (Hardcover)
This is written in plain english - no gimmicks - so sharp kids from ten years up could read it - there's one reference to prostitutes which might raise an eyebrow. Kate describes mental illness, the way childhood memories get warped about, the child's consciousness of the failings of an adored parent. The recognition of mutual need. And the whiff of a first pubescent love. It would be a tragic and demoralising tale if it wasn't for the closely observed children's lightness - the love of silliness for its own sake. And for the portrayals of humility and coping. Its a great book - simple, yet rich. I found when I came within 30 pages of the back, that I put it down and although one knows what the deal is, I didn't want to read the last 30 pages and have it end. That's a pretty good sign? No? So now I hand it to my 9 year old and see what happens. She reads way faster than I do.

The 10pm Question
The 10pm Question by Kate Di Goldi (Hardcover - 1 Aug 2010)