Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 October 2011
My nearly 5 year old girl loves this, and my 2 1/2 year old son insists there's a little girl called Nugget in his class at school (he doesn't go yet). We are a house of pirate fans, and this is the best of all the pirate books we've bought so far.

We've had this 24 hours and I think I've read it more than ten times already. The fab poster cover from the hardback is on daughter's door and both children stand staring in awe at all the piratey detail.

I love all the hidden pirate clues and details hidden in the fantastic illustrations. There are barrels of grog, and it actaully makes reference to how grandpa pirate came to have a hook instead of a hand: much better than the saccharine sanitised pirates you often get. This really works on so many levels, and I won't be hiding this one in the book box to avoid reading it again, as has happened with other less lovely books.

I'd definitely recommend this. Pirate mum could even become my fashion icon.
on 2 October 2015
My class read ‘The Pirates Next Door’ and really enjoyed it so wrote their own reviews and wanted to share them with you. Well done Trust Class!

The book is about a boy and his pirate family. Some pirates move to Dull-On-Sea, next door to a girl called Matilda. The girl thinks it is great that some pirates have moved next door and says to Jim-Lad, ‘you’re cool!’. But the pirates get up to mischief and start doing naughty things. The people of Dull-On-Sea wanted them to go away so they phoned up the council.

One of our favourite characters was Nugget; “My favourite character is Nugget because she is really, really cheeky, rude and funny and she is learning to fire cannon balls”.

You should read this book because if you read the blurb it sounds exciting and the name sounds really cool and the pictures look cool and they are a crazy family.
The book is about a super family and the pages are detailed with writing and the pages are colourful.

So those are some of the opinions of my class and I can back them up. A fantastic picture book that children love!
on 20 April 2013
As a Dad with two kids I read lots of children's books. Some good and you know about the rest. This one is head and shoulders above the majority I've read.

The first thing that grabs you about a Jonny Duddle book is the artwork. As someone who'd love to be more than a scribbler, I'm in awe at his brilliant artwork. It's bright, vibrant, full of funny characters and amazingly well executed. For once it's a children's book that doesn't look like it was drawn by one!

The Pirates Next Door is a fab tale that you will enjoy reading again and again. My kids go mad for it and I have, for my own sanity, have to ration when they (or rather I) read it otherwise it would be every bedtime. It's funny, heart-felt and has a nice, gentle dig at suburban life.

Read it; it's brilliant! And if you want more piratey fun check out his "The Pirate Cruncher" as this was also a big hit with my monsters.
on 29 August 2012
This was a treat for my 4 year old girl. Having purchased most of the Julia Donaldson books (which she loves) I thought I would give this one a go. She is a real girly girl so i wasnt sure how she would receive thid. This book was a big hit and did not disappoint! The illustrations are fab and she loved the story. It's become a favourite in our house.
on 31 July 2013
Helen for [...]

I picked this up because the front cover made it look like such fun as a boat full of pirates is rolling up the road. I wasn't disappointed on the inside either as the story was great and the pictures a pure delight.

So to the story, there is an empty house on the street in Dull-on-Sea (great name) and one day a pirate family move in complete with pirate ship (which needs mending hence the break from the sea). Tilda next door is very pleased to have a friend in the `pirate boy' but the rest of the neighbourhood are less than welcoming. They come together to moan about the piratey aspects of the new residents. However in reality the pirates are not any of the things that are being said of them. They are actually very wise pirates who know that these people are complaining and, in a cunning twist, they set out to show them that pirates are not actually bad at all by leaving a gift for each of the neighbours. Of course after that everybody loves them!

If you like to use books to talk about issues with your children this is a great way to take an early look at prejudice and not judging people you don't really know.

The illustrations are brilliantly drawn, detailed and humorous. They clearly show the exuberance of the pirates and the complete disapproval of the neighbours as they move in. My girls will tell you that the best of all is the big picture. It shows all the neighbours lawn's marked with crosses (as x marks the spot of course) and you open it out to see them all desperately digging in search of their treasure. There is lots to look at on every page and they are the kind of pictures you keep seeing more things in each time you go back to them.

Verdict: So both the girls and I loved this, written in rhyme means they get to read it with me these days, it is a firm favourite.
It's not at all hard to understand why kids and adults are so keen on Jonny Duddle's two pirate picture books. I would second all of the glowing reviews about the appealing artwork, cheerful vibe, and subtle positive messages in those books.

But, be alert to the next step. Duddle has moved from picture books to heavily illustrated chapter books featuring the Matilda and Jim characters that little readers love from this picture book. So, once you've read this book a zillion times you can move your growing-up reader to "The Jolley-Rogers and the Ghostly Galleon" chapter book and follow even more pirate adventure. That's a great idea and a nice way to have a series grow up along with its fans.
on 14 August 2012
Wow, this is an excellent book.

I love the descriptions of the townspeople (who soon change their tune about the pirates next door). The story is easy to read, the illustrations are superb. I didn't think Jonny could improve on "The Pirate-
Cruncher" but I think he just gets better & better. Can't wait for his next book or indeed the sequel to this!

My 2 year old grandson just loves Jonny's books, I almost know both off by heart but always find something I have missed when re-reading. Both girls & boys will love his books. Great choice.
The Pirate Cruncher is endlessly requested, especially with the excitement of the 'island' turning out to be a sea monster. Now we have The Jolley-Rogers, The Pirates Next Door, in this companion edition. Again a great success, with two years + grandchildren - all ours are pirate mad.

Dull-on-Sea is taken aback by the arrival of the shockingly exotic pirates, who are laid up ashore for repairs. Matilda/Tilda however is thrilled to make friends with - a pirate boy - Jim! While the older folks in the community grumble and busily complain to each other, she couldn't be happier. All told in doggerel verse, this bouncy tale gives a little life lesson in not judging a book by its cover...

The pirates actually have hearts of gold, and on leaving, the lines go:

'That night there was a tapping at Matilda's window pane. Outside was Jim. He whispered "I've got something to explain.. Whenever we stop somewhere new, the neighbours are unkind. To show them pirates aren't so bad, we leave some things behind" Shh!'

Surprises in the form of the x marks the spot kind are discovered the next day. All laid out on a double page pull out, great fun to look through.

The friendship between Tilda and Jim endures and a return visit is perhaps on the cards. The artwork is atmospheric, easy to take in. The sharply observed turn around in the reactions of the Dull on Sea Nimbies is hilarious.

Jonny Duddle has done it again, Oo Arr! Shiver me timbers...
on 23 November 2012
This story is entertaining and has a great moral. It teaches children to always see the good in others. My 5 year old son loves pirates and this book was spot on.
on 29 August 2015
I love this book. The illustrations are amazing! But what is also surprising is the story from this author/illustrator is also amazing. It works on two levels. On one hand there are the pirates and the fun of them coming ashore for the kids which is all hilarious and with beautifully written rhyme. But it also works on another level for the parents, where the pirate discrimination is a fabulous analogy for discrimination against other groups in our current society. It is a really good way to discuss the subject with your kids.

All the characters are so strong in looks and personality. The language they use really brings them to life. I find myself easily slipping in to "pirate" or "busy body" (the latter comes a little too easily). My four year old daughter likes this book a lot and has done since she was three. I think it suits girls and boys and three or four would be the approximate starting age. I would definitely recommend.