5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!
My nearly 5 year old girl loves this, and my 2 1/2 year old son insists there's a little girl called Nugget in his class at school (he doesn't go yet). We are a house of pirate fans, and this is the best of all the pirate books we've bought so far.

Published on 30 Oct 2011 by 2Helenback

3.0 out of 5 stars Story is great
However the book arrived and had torn pages inside the turn out pages. Very disappointing as my son loves the book and wants to have it read every night.
Published 16 months ago by Sue

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 30 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Pirates Next Door (Hardcover)

We've had this 24 hours and I think I've read it more than ten times already. The fab poster cover from the hardback is on daughter's door and both children stand staring in awe at all the piratey detail.

I love all the hidden pirate clues and details hidden in the fantastic illustrations. There are barrels of grog, and it actaully makes reference to how grandpa pirate came to have a hook instead of a hand: much better than the saccharine sanitised pirates you often get. This really works on so many levels, and I won't be hiding this one in the book box to avoid reading it again, as has happened with other less lovely books.

I'd definitely recommend this. Pirate mum could even become my fashion icon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab Book!, 29 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Pirates Next Door (Paperback)
This was a treat for my 4 year old girl. Having purchased most of the Julia Donaldson books (which she loves) I thought I would give this one a go. She is a real girly girl so i wasnt sure how she would receive thid. This book was a big hit and did not disappoint! The illustrations are fab and she loved the story. It's become a favourite in our house.

5.0 out of 5 stars After reading this you'll want Pirates next door, 20 April 2013
This review is from: The Pirates Next Door (Paperback)
As a Dad with two kids I read lots of children's books. Some good and you know about the rest. This one is head and shoulders above the majority I've read.

The first thing that grabs you about a Jonny Duddle book is the artwork. As someone who'd love to be more than a scribbler, I'm in awe at his brilliant artwork. It's bright, vibrant, full of funny characters and amazingly well executed. For once it's a children's book that doesn't look like it was drawn by one!

The Pirates Next Door is a fab tale that you will enjoy reading again and again. My kids go mad for it and I have, for my own sanity, have to ration when they (or rather I) read it otherwise it would be every bedtime. It's funny, heart-felt and has a nice, gentle dig at suburban life.

Read it; it's brilliant! And if you want more piratey fun check out his "The Pirate Cruncher" as this was also a big hit with my monsters.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely story, 23 Nov 2012
Kay (North Yorks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pirates Next Door (Paperback)
This story is entertaining and has a great moral. It teaches children to always see the good in others. My 5 year old son loves pirates and this book was spot on.

5.0 out of 5 stars a Jonny Duddle fan, 14 Aug 2012
janis (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pirates Next Door (Paperback)
Wow, this is an excellent book.

I love the descriptions of the townspeople (who soon change their tune about the pirates next door). The story is easy to read, the illustrations are superb. I didn't think Jonny could improve on "The Pirate-
Cruncher" but I think he just gets better & better. Can't wait for his next book or indeed the sequel to this!

My 2 year old grandson just loves Jonny's books, I almost know both off by heart but always find something I have missed when re-reading. Both girls & boys will love his books. Great choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Pirates Next Door (Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book. Its rhymes flow nicely and the illustrations are lovely. I also liked the books message. I have read this book with the 2-5 year olds that I work with and they all enjoyed it. It is also a favourite with the children I babysit (aged up to 8 years).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Story, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Pirates Next Door (Paperback)
My grandson already had Jonny Duddle's The Pirate-Cruncher with C.D which is fab. So we got him this one - it's a good story which helps you to talk to your children about treating all people the same no matter how different they are!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rollicking fun, 11 Oct 2011
Parents in Touch - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Pirates Next Door (Hardcover)
Rollicking fun with the family of pirates who have settled for a while on dry land in Dull-on-Sea , which is - you've guessed it - a quiet seaside town where nothing happens. At least, it was until the Jolley-Roger family took up residence. Tilda decides to make friends with this unusual family who set the town into an uproar - meets the NIMBYs of Dull-on-Sea! It's a hilarious rhyming tale with a lovely twist in the end - and a wonderful invitation for Tilda. There's good in everyone! The illustrations are packed with detail and full of fun - a story to entertain adults as they read it to their children.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic book!, 12 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Pirates Next Door (Paperback)
Fantastic book. A family of Pirates move next door to a little girl called Matilda. She befriends the little boy and although the neighbours are skeptical at first, everyone comes to realise that having Pirates on your street is pretty cool! Superb illustrations and rhyming text, this book is a firm favourite with my boy and my girls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 July 2014
W. Flynn (Woodbridge, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pirates Next Door (Paperback)
Really fun story, great illustrations and good lesson

The Pirates Next Door
The Pirates Next Door by Jonny Duddle (Paperback - 1 Mar 2012)