Format: PaperbackChange

on 6 April 2013
I bought this book for part of my four year olds birthday. I liked the art work and details so not having much time left I bought it hoping for the best. My daughter loved it from the first reading. And each reading we notice something new. The art work is incredibly detailed and packed with themes and clues. The mystery seaman sings a shanty to the tune of loca (you tube), and the ending is spectacular with fold out page! Utterly loved by her! Each little nick in the pages is a disaster! Sticky tape must be found and repaired immediately. This book is brilliant on so many levels, visually, morally, comically, and seems to grow with your wee one as they "get" bits as they get older! My wee one got what thought bubbles were, what puppets were, what greed was, etc at different times in the re reading. Utterly brilliant
on 18 October 2012
My three and half years old LOVES this book. What a gem! Great text, colourful and detailed artwork with a lot to spot on every page. A pure delight. I am glad that I have found an alternative to Julia Donadson and Oliver Jeffers. I highly recommend this picture book for little boys who likes pirates and sea monster. Octonauts fans will also like this book as the sea monster is an Octonauts favourite.
on 24 October 2014
To be very frank this was an impulse buy. I wasn't very keen on pirate stories. But I read all the glowing reviews and opted to try something different. My kids love it! The details in the illustration is simply beautiful. A lot of thought was put into this book. The illustrations and the story too. it is about Captain Purplebeard and his crew of cut throat pirates who are off to find an island packed with treasure. What else do pirates do anyway? But these pirates find themselves in trouble. The story has a moral value. Being greedy is wrong. Hilarious! I love this book!
on 7 February 2013
My 5 year old son enjoys this story, but the small black print on a dark blue background in much of the book makes it difficult to read in anything but the brightest light. So all in all a well written, well illustrated book but not easy reading at bedtime given the subdued lighting. Hence only three stars. While I am saying my bit, so many other children's books insist on dark print on dark backgrounds - publshers note!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2014
And over and over again. I literally know this book off by heart. 'It was unusually quiet in port royal, but if you listened carefully along the quayside and in the candlelit taverns you could hear the faint sound of a fiddle on the wind. Outside the thirsty parrot inn a fiddler appeared and as he fiddled he sang...." I would start singing but I doubt you'd appreciate my musical talent. My husband bought this book about 3 years ago and my son loved it so much it was a fixed part of his bedtime routine, I even had to sing it to him while I was in early labour with his sister. This book was continued to be adored and my daughter then took it to be her favourite bedtime story, yet again I was reading and singing it to her when in early labour with her younger brother. I have now bought another copy of this as a gift for a friend who has pirate mad children and hope they enjoy it as much as we do here. I have avoided buying the version with the cd as I expect it would be (better) different to our version.

This is a book to keep and treasure. Hope you all enjoy it :)
on 15 October 2013
Absolutely brilliant, gorgeously illustrated, a fantastic story for a pirate-loving small boys (and girls?). My almost-five-year-old son is head over heels in this story! Truth to be said, it maybe is a bit scary, the author displays a dark sense of humor, but we enjoy it very much! The amazing illustrations are a vivid part of the book, adding a great twist for an observant eye :)
A minor minus: the black print on dark pages is not easy to decifer by a dim light of a night lamp. It has to be read in full light. Or memorised, which is not at all difficult with this one! ;-)
We read obsessively and have collected a vast amount of childrens' books over the years, but I can say that this one is one of the best we have. Very glad I took the risk (not knowing anything about the author), and bought it. Money well spent :)
on 12 February 2014
I bought this for my three year old son but felt that it is perhaps suitable for an older child. I felt there were too many speech bubbles which detracted from the story so for me it didn't flow well. Nice illustrations and the storyline was good but just not for us.
on 1 June 2015
First of all, my son is 3 and loves this book, so I can't really complain about his enjoyment of it as the issues are all mine.
Similar to other reviewers, the fact that so much of the text is written in black on a dark background make is an infuriating bedtime choice and the font is massively unhelpful on this front as well. The story is fairly dark, especially given that the fiddler is actually a puppet of the monster, so has been used to lure the pirates into its jaws, but either my son doesn't get that or he doesn't care! The switching between prose and rhyming verse does my head in, but again, it doesn't bother my son and he loves the illustrations. One for the kids, but not the parents!
on 24 September 2013
I bought it to read it to a couple of 6 year old children as they were learning about pirates in school. When it arrived and I read it, I thought that it may be too bloody for that age group. I was wrong! They loved it! I have read it many times since and every time we spot something new on every page.
I have to agree with one of the previous reviewers that a mix of rhyming and plain text is a bit confusing for the reader and it takes some time to adjust but the amazing illustrations compensate it all.
Someone complained about background being too dark
The best recommendation for this book is that P2 teacher bought it too for her class after reading my copy!
on 10 September 2015
This book is ok- ish , not such a fan of the jonny duddle series but my son is crazy for pirates so I bought another one (we also have pirates next door). Characters and pictures very similar to the others in the series, full of life and funny but it's the story i'm not such a fan of. Probably more suited for children around 6-7 or older, more perhaps than younger ones as the monster CRUNCHES all the pirates at the end. Probably prefer this to pirates next door only because the moral of pirates next door is terrible. The pirates are hated by everyone and then buy their friendship with gifts! Great lesson for the kids.