5.0 out of 5 stars My daughters favourite book

Published 24 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughters favourite book, 6 April 2013
S. A. Murray (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pirate Cruncher (Paperback)
I bought this book for part of my four year olds birthday. I liked the art work and details so not having much time left I bought it hoping for the best. My daughter loved it from the first reading. And each reading we notice something new. The art work is incredibly detailed and packed with themes and clues. The mystery seaman sings a shanty to the tune of loca (you tube), and the ending is spectacular with fold out page! Utterly loved by her! Each little nick in the pages is a disaster! Sticky tape must be found and repaired immediately. This book is brilliant on so many levels, visually, morally, comically, and seems to grow with your wee one as they "get" bits as they get older! My wee one got what thought bubbles were, what puppets were, what greed was, etc at different times in the re reading. Utterly brilliant

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to read, 7 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Pirate Cruncher (Paperback)
My 5 year old son enjoys this story, but the small black print on a dark blue background in much of the book makes it difficult to read in anything but the brightest light. So all in all a well written, well illustrated book but not easy reading at bedtime given the subdued lighting. Hence only three stars. While I am saying my bit, so many other children's books insist on dark print on dark backgrounds - publshers note!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous fun!, 18 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Pirate Cruncher (Paperback)
My three and half years old LOVES this book. What a gem! Great text, colourful and detailed artwork with a lot to spot on every page. A pure delight. I am glad that I have found an alternative to Julia Donadson and Oliver Jeffers. I highly recommend this picture book for little boys who likes pirates and sea monster. Octonauts fans will also like this book as the sea monster is an Octonauts favourite.

2.0 out of 5 stars Huge disappointment, 19 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Pirate Cruncher (Paperback)
Bought as my daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed The Pirates Next Door, Jonny Duddle's The Pirate Cruncher is a massive let down. My main issues are with the text and prose.

The text is incredibly difficult to read even in bright light. Black print on a dark background means you have to squint to read it. The font used also doesn't help. It does change to a lighter background eventually but by then the damage is done.

The prose is inconsistent. Rhyming on one page and then back to normal the next means you can't establish a consistent rhythm.

Also, if you like to put on voices for the characters the constant singing of one of them will drive you insane and test your improvisation skills!

On a positive note, the book looks beautiful. Cracking illustrations.

Oh, and this is definitely not a bedtime book due to the content and conclusion. This is a thoroughly frustrating book to read and one that I regret buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ar ha, this hear be a musically inspired sea shanty tale worthy of being read over and over and over and over, 24 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Pirate Cruncher (Paperback)
And over and over again. I literally know this book off by heart. 'It was unusually quiet in port royal, but if you listened carefully along the quayside and in the candlelit taverns you could hear the faint sound of a fiddle on the wind. Outside the thirsty parrot inn a fiddler appeared and as he fiddled he sang...." I would start singing but I doubt you'd appreciate my musical talent. My husband bought this book about 3 years ago and my son loved it so much it was a fixed part of his bedtime routine, I even had to sing it to him while I was in early labour with his sister. This book was continued to be adored and my daughter then took it to be her favourite bedtime story, yet again I was reading and singing it to her when in early labour with her younger brother. I have now bought another copy of this as a gift for a friend who has pirate mad children and hope they enjoy it as much as we do here. I have avoided buying the version with the cd as I expect it would be (better) different to our version.

This is a book to keep and treasure. Hope you all enjoy it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 15 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Pirate Cruncher (Paperback)
Absolutely brilliant, gorgeously illustrated, a fantastic story for a pirate-loving small boys (and girls?). My almost-five-year-old son is head over heels in this story! Truth to be said, it maybe is a bit scary, the author displays a dark sense of humor, but we enjoy it very much! The amazing illustrations are a vivid part of the book, adding a great twist for an observant eye :)
A minor minus: the black print on dark pages is not easy to decifer by a dim light of a night lamp. It has to be read in full light. Or memorised, which is not at all difficult with this one! ;-)
We read obsessively and have collected a vast amount of childrens' books over the years, but I can say that this one is one of the best we have. Very glad I took the risk (not knowing anything about the author), and bought it. Money well spent :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant hit!, 24 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Pirate Cruncher (Paperback)
I bought it to read it to a couple of 6 year old children as they were learning about pirates in school. When it arrived and I read it, I thought that it may be too bloody for that age group. I was wrong! They loved it! I have read it many times since and every time we spot something new on every page.
I have to agree with one of the previous reviewers that a mix of rhyming and plain text is a bit confusing for the reader and it takes some time to adjust but the amazing illustrations compensate it all.
Someone complained about background being too dark
The best recommendation for this book is that P2 teacher bought it too for her class after reading my copy!

4.0 out of 5 stars great, 21 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Pirate Cruncher (Paperback)
I read this after Duddle's other pirate book, The Pirates Next door. That book rhymes throughout and so has a great strong consistent bouncy rhythm. This book only rhymes in part (for speech?) which confused me in how to read it aloud. Having said that it's a great story.

I had a little issue though with my copy... There's a big fold-out page in the book, and this was a little ripped in my copy. I'm not sure if this is because the flap comes out downwards, so perhaps if the book is not opened fully, the place where it folds might get a bit ripped. This will get worse over time. Anyone else experience this?

5.0 out of 5 stars Being greedy is wrong!, 24 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Pirate Cruncher (Paperback)
To be very frank this was an impulse buy. I wasn't very keen on pirate stories. But I read all the glowing reviews and opted to try something different. My kids love it! The details in the illustration is simply beautiful. A lot of thought was put into this book. The illustrations and the story too. it is about Captain Purplebeard and his crew of cut throat pirates who are off to find an island packed with treasure. What else do pirates do anyway? But these pirates find themselves in trouble. The story has a moral value. Being greedy is wrong. Hilarious! I love this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Be warned, this book doesn't have a happy ending, 20 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Pirate Cruncher (Paperback)
Be prepared for a dark ending. My 4 year old boy, who is not generally a sensitive soul, was very upset by it. I've put it away until he's a bit older. The story does have a moral to it, the illustrations are fantastic and I like the mixture of rhyme and prose, but I wished I'd read it myself before attempting to read it with my son. I think it would be best not left till bedtime, at least for the first reading. I've still given it 4 stars, because it's a beautiful, interesting book, just needs a warning with it.

The Pirate Cruncher
The Pirate Cruncher by Jonny Duddle (Paperback - 1 Jun. 2010)