5.0 out of 5 stars My daughters favourite book
Published 17 months ago by S. A. Murray

2.0 out of 5 stars Huge disappointment
Bought as my daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed The Pirates Next Door, Jonny Duddle's The Pirate Cruncher is a massive let down. My main issues are with the text and prose.

Published 9 months ago by Ben Peyton

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughters favourite book, 6 April 2013
S. A. Murray (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pirate Cruncher (Paperback)
I bought this book for part of my four year olds birthday. I liked the art work and details so not having much time left I bought it hoping for the best. My daughter loved it from the first reading. And each reading we notice something new. The art work is incredibly detailed and packed with themes and clues. The mystery seaman sings a shanty to the tune of loca (you tube), and the ending is spectacular with fold out page! Utterly loved by her! Each little nick in the pages is a disaster! Sticky tape must be found and repaired immediately. This book is brilliant on so many levels, visually, morally, comically, and seems to grow with your wee one as they "get" bits as they get older! My wee one got what thought bubbles were, what puppets were, what greed was, etc at different times in the re reading. Utterly brilliant

2.0 out of 5 stars Huge disappointment, 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Pirate Cruncher (Paperback)

The text is incredibly difficult to read even in bright light. Black print on a dark background means you have to squint to read it. The font used also doesn't help. It does change to a lighter background eventually but by then the damage is done.

The prose is inconsistent. Rhyming on one page and then back to normal the next means you can't establish a consistent rhythm.

Also, if you like to put on voices for the characters the constant singing of one of them will drive you insane and test your improvisation skills!

On a positive note, the book looks beautiful. Cracking illustrations.

Oh, and this is definitely not a bedtime book due to the content and conclusion. This is a thoroughly frustrating book to read and one that I regret buying.

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to read, 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Pirate Cruncher (Paperback)
My 5 year old son enjoys this story, but the small black print on a dark blue background in much of the book makes it difficult to read in anything but the brightest light. So all in all a well written, well illustrated book but not easy reading at bedtime given the subdued lighting. Hence only three stars. While I am saying my bit, so many other children's books insist on dark print on dark backgrounds - publshers note!

4.0 out of 5 stars goog, 29 May 2013
This review is from: The Pirate Cruncher (Paperback)
This b ook is suitable for a story for under 7's. My class enjoyed having it read to them, they especially liked the busy illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous fun!, 18 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Pirate Cruncher (Paperback)
My three and half years old LOVES this book. What a gem! Great text, colourful and detailed artwork with a lot to spot on every page. A pure delight. I am glad that I have found an alternative to Julia Donadson and Oliver Jeffers. I highly recommend this picture book for little boys who likes pirates and sea monster. Octonauts fans will also like this book as the sea monster is an Octonauts favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars my little boy loves this, 10 July 2013
This review is from: The Pirate Cruncher (Paperback)
he takes it to bed with him, talked about it a school, we have had it a few months now and he is still enjoying it! well worth it

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely, 20 May 2013
This review is from: The Pirate Cruncher (Paperback)
Lovely story, my kids loved it, excellent twist at the end! It has been acted out 12 times in the classroom

4.0 out of 5 stars Be warned, this book doesn't have a happy ending, 20 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Pirate Cruncher (Paperback)
Be prepared for a dark ending. My 4 year old boy, who is not generally a sensitive soul, was very upset by it. I've put it away until he's a bit older. The story does have a moral to it, the illustrations are fantastic and I like the mixture of rhyme and prose, but I wished I'd read it myself before attempting to read it with my son. I think it would be best not left till bedtime, at least for the first reading. I've still given it 4 stars, because it's a beautiful, interesting book, just needs a warning with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I agree with other posters - it is rather difficult ..., 17 July 2014
This review is from: The Pirate Cruncher (Paperback)
I agree with other posters - it is rather difficult to read black words on a dark background!!! Also,...there are quite a few speech bubbles in the pictures which makes for a confusing read, especially if you are trying to put the story across to a very young pirate mad toddler. Having said that, the illustrations are gorgeous and full of detail - be prepared to have lots of questions from your young one. He finds the ending a hoot by the way....!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
This review is from: The Pirate Cruncher (Paperback)
Myself and my children love these book, always pleased with them!

The Pirate Cruncher
The Pirate Cruncher by Jonny Duddle (Paperback - 1 Jun 2010)
4.00