on 18 November 2013
I read the Church Mice stories to my 3-5 year old son (when they were all in print!), who loved them, but unfortunately I gave them away (to a school) when he grew up. The characters are really well-developed and the illustrations brilliant. Picking out the inconsistencies between the illustrations and the text really helped my son to develop a sense of humour (and irony) at a very early age. More than 30 years later, I've bought the whole set (some second-hand) for my grandson and I started reading them to him when he was aged 3. Although initially the full "back-story" wasn't obvious to him, some simplification of the story meant that he began to "get" the jokes and to pick out details of the very funny pictures. He's now aged 5, and when I visit, he always wants us to read these books together. The Church Mice Adrift is probably his favourite (along with "The Church Mice Spread their Wings") because the story is hilarious, dramatic and just a little scary. These books are fabulous, and I can't recommend them enough.
on 4 November 2012
One of my very oun favourites growing up, many hours spent reading the stories of the church cat and friends and another lot of many hours looking through the amazing pictures that help tell this beautiful stories!
Needless to say I love Graham Oakley's creation!
on 30 May 2010
Like the other Graham Oakley church mouse books, the combination of humorous, detailed drawings and prose make this book great fun. His writing uses a British humour and style that is as entertaining to an adult reading to a child as to the audience itself. Probably best for children of at least 6, I love reading these books to my son and he loves following along with the illustrations.

I heartily recommend this and his other books to parents everywhere that would like a break from Star Wars, etc. The only sad thing is that Most of the rest of the series is not in print right now.
on 5 May 2010
Graham Oakley's drawings for his seminal series of novels featuring the feckless mice and put-upon cat Sampson, immediately fill me with nostalgia for my mid-late 70s childhood. These reprints are excellent and should be part of every child's library - highly recommended, vibrantly coloured, and huge fun.
on 11 February 2013
I loved these as a kid in the early 70s. When I saw this, I just had to buy it and then decided who to give it to! My kids now love this too. They are the most wonderful books, and coming back after almost 40 years they were even better Than I remembered.
Buy them all. They are simply lovely.
on 22 September 2013
Very intricate and amusing illustrations which capture my grand children's imagination. A delightful tale told with gentle humour which will appeal to a wide age range between 3 to eight years.
on 6 December 2013
My own children loved this series when they were little almost 40 years ago. Now I am buying for my grandchild. She is very young at present but will love the pictures..
on 21 August 2010
I first found these books in the library when my son was about 7 years old, he loved the pictures and the stories and we had many happy hours enjoyment reading them. Reading them again has brought back many memories and I still enjoy these books. I just love the expressions on the mice's faces and the antics the mice get up to. My son is now 32 years old, time sometimes never changes something once enjoyed.
on 30 December 2014
I have always loved this tale, enjoyed it 30 years ago .
on 30 October 2013
We are buying this book for a niece for Christmas but are still waiting for it to be delivered. We know it is not Amazon's fault as they are waiting for deliveries from their suppliers. I can review it, however, because we bought most of the series for our son (now with sons of his own) when they were first published. Graham Oakley has a wonderfully dry sense of humour and these books deliver for children and for adults. His illustrations are full of interest and life and are a joy. Our son collected virtually all of them and has them still. The disappointment is that they are difficult to source now. We don't know why they are not all being reprinted. Come on publishers - make them widely available again !