5.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinary book which stands out from the crowd
I have read a very large number of books that help one to develop strategies and action plans to help one clarify and reach life and work goals. Many of them are extremely good. This book by Olympic rowing gold medal winner Ben Hunt-Davis and executive coach Harriet Beveridge is quite the best I have ever read.

Whether you are keen on sport or not, whether you...
Published 21 months ago by David Vachell

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read
For the person with a general interest in motivational theory or interest in sports psychology then it is an interesting read.

It uses simple language and does not make an attempt to associate the experience of the Author to the technical aspects of psychology so it is a light hearted read but does not push the boundaries of the subject matter.

A...
Published on 28 Aug 2012 by Donald

5.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinary book which stands out from the crowd, 21 Jan 2013
This review is from: Will it Make the Boat Go Faster?: Olympic-winning Strategies for Everyday Success (Paperback)

Whether you are keen on sport or not, whether you have your sights set on becoming a chief exec or just an all round decent human being, the stories and ideas in this book will significantly help you on your road. Ben's stories of the effort, trials and sheer guts employed by the GB Men's Eight in reaching the top of the podium at the Sydney Olympics for the first time in nearly a century of British rowing are an emotional roller coaster that will inspire even the most exercise phobic amongst the audience. At each stage Harriet, then draws out the practical lessons that can be made use of by normal human beings to make a significant difference to their lives and the world they seek to touch. The book is so much more than a story or a recipe book for success. The messages in here will profoundly affect many who read it.

From a personal perspective, I have already made use of the inspiration and practical ideas to refocus my own goals, strategies and tactics - the proof of that pudding will be in the eating but I am grateful to Harriet and Ben for their contribution.

... and if you want a real "fix" of adrenaline and emotion that sums up this extraordinary book then check out the YouTube clip of the 8+ final at [...] and compare it with the last chapter of the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 28 Aug 2012

A personable and personal account of someone's life experience that no doubt people will be able to relate to and for some it might given them the starting point or motivation to make a change in their life.

The book has a simple messages and does not pretend to be anything that it is not.

Unpretentious but not necessarily innovative.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some useful advice, 12 Mar 2014
I bought this book because i was interested in reading more about this kind of thing. That is the psychology behind great victories and how our minds work. This book also had no 1* reviews so seemed promising. I will be reading this again to allow some of the ideas to sink in. There were two chapters that definitely were useful to me so i am hoping that with a second read i will be able to get much more from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, yet so powerful, 15 Feb 2014
Excellent tool for stimulating mental power for achieving goals, be that in sport or business or homel life. Can thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars totally enjoyable, 15 Jun 2011
this really is an enjoyable read! not only is this a story of dedication and sheer motivation - a totally inspiring account of how a team went on to win a UK gold medal at the olympics, but it is also extremely funny... i have enjoyed dipping into the insights offered at the end of each paragraph that give you practical and realistic tips - life skills and pointers that make you think - and offer you ways of applying some skills to your own life. An excellent read that once you start, is hard to put down. Loving it....

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for anyone with goals. (so basically everyone), 22 July 2014
Rebecca (Brentwood, Essex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Last night I finished reading ‘Will it make the boat go faster’.

I wish to compete in a bodybuilding/fitness competition but suffer a genetic skin condition which is a huge hindrance to my chances of success. The book was actually given to my boss from our CEO (I’m a PA) as a gift but seeing as he was on holiday I thought I’d take a read first! I’m so glad that I did. As I finished reading the last sentence I put it down thinking ‘my goodness what have I just uncovered?’ Not only do I now feel I have all the tools I will need to help me with my goal, I feel invincible in the face of obstacles; I know I can deal with them because of what I have learnt in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book could change your life!, 28 Aug 2014
This was recommended to me by a fellow rower as well as a speaker at a student physiotherapy conference and I recommend it to absolutely anyone and everyone no matter whether you're interested in sport or not. Although it appears to be based on sporting examples , it successfully transfers such amazing achievements to real life and lays out a clear strategy for anyone to not only achieve but discover their aspirations! It really gives you the sense that you can achieve anything you really want with the right method. It has truly inspired me as I begin my career as a physiotherapist. Thankyou so so much!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book : gripping and full of practical strategies, 7 Jun 2011
This is an outstanding book both for business and life. I have read many, many leadership and personal development books over the last twenty years and this is by far the most engaging AND practical.

It covers goals, motivation, taking risks, change and importantly how to filter out unhelpfulness from others.The story of Ben winning his gold medal in Sydney is nothing short of miraculous and really gripping. I am not interested in sports but this had me hooked right until the end. I found I was implementing many of the tips in this book afetr only a couple of chapters and it was making a difference to me.

Excellent book and I will continue to dip in to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read to re-focus your sporting direction, 14 July 2014
Really good read, helped me re-focus my sporting goals. Only criticism is i wish it was more sport orientated and steered away from the business angle? It's made my boat go faster though!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational & practical, 29 April 2014
Really enjoyed this book and find myself quoting from it quite a bit. Love the fact that there are practical suggestions of how to put the strategies to work in everyday life.