Paper Dreams conjures up many thoughts and ideas. Ms Burton has taken all the ingredients for a super adventure set back in the 50's.

She knows how to set a scene that will easily enthrall the reader and her prose is excellent. I found very few grammar mistakes making this an easy and exceptional read.

The author certainly knows how to hook her...
Published on 27 Mar 2012 by Mrs. F. H. Mortimer

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't recommend
I liked the idea behind the story of this book but I found the style of writing almost child-like and what could have been an exciting story just ended up flat and disappointing.
Published on 16 July 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventure, adversity, thrills - a complete recipe for an excellent read, 27 Mar 2012
Mrs. F. H. Mortimer "Faith Mortimer" (Cyprus and the UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paper Dreams (Kindle Edition)

The author certainly knows how to hook her reader by playing on their emotions and covers almost everything one would expect to find in a good family drama - romance, greed, murder, obsessive love, to name but a few things.

Bravo! I wait to see what else this fine writer has to offer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paper Dreams, 6 Feb 2012
This review is from: Paper Dreams (Paperback)
A letter from the past reveals a secret that sets in motion a story of love, deception and intrigue.
A family feud adds to the suspense as the mystery deepens.
A beautifully written book that is hard to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars an enjoyable read, 28 Dec 2011
This review is from: Paper Dreams (Paperback)
Having really enjoyed the author's previous book, I wondered whether this would be as good - and it was!
I love happy endings!

4.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling yet comforting tale, 6 Feb 2012
This review is from: Paper Dreams (Paperback)
Paper Dreams is an interesting story about a girl who has to sort out a collection of books in a creepy, neglected old house. The erstwhile occupant of the house had a mysterious history and Katie becomes intrigued, especially when she finds a long forgotten letter in one of the books which leads her into some terrifying experiences. An exciting story and one that ends happily. We always need a 'feel good' story especially nowadays!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Paper Dreams, 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: Paper Dreams (Kindle Edition)
Although not my usual genre (one cannot live by blood and guts alone) as a book lover I was drawn to the idea of someone sorting books in an old and creepy house. This is an intriguing book, beautifully written with believable characters - a love story and a mystery combined. Once started I found it difficult to put down and would gladly recommend it to anyone, particularly those who love a happy ending and this book does have a very happy ending. I look forward to her next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance and excitement mixed beautifully, 4 July 2013
G. McCullough "Gerry" (N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paper Dreams (Kindle Edition)
I love this book. Once I started reading it, I couldn't stop. If you're looking for a label, I would call it 'drama.' We start with a short snapshot of the past, when Amy returns to Canada leaving Gerald desolate. Then, present day - we meet the very easy to relate to heroine, Katie, and get to know her and her problems, before plunging into the excitement of her search through the books in the attic of Epton Hall, and her discovery of the affair between Amy and Gerald - and its result in the birth of James. Katie's experience of being locked in the attic of Epton Hall without food, water, heat or light, and her eventual rescue, is gripping in the extreme. I won't give away any more of the plot, only say that the men in Katie's life, from the despicable Simon to the sexy yet trustworthy Stuart, come across realistically and with enormous interest. Buy this book if you want a happy, romantic and thrilling read which will hook you from the first few pages!

5.0 out of 5 stars Penned with Love and Mystery., 22 Mar 2014
This review is from: Paper Dreams (Kindle Edition)
Any book that keeps me reading as though I were a young teen again uncaring of responsibilities or things I need to do, without letting the clock's racing motion spoil my fun is worth the mention ... and the 5 stars of course.
I discovered the book quite by accident. Naturally, we no longer spend hours perusing books on dusty library shelves. We hunt them down through the Internet. Where I came upon Paper Dreams, I can't even tell you.

The title attracted me as did the beautiful cover, but then all I had to do was read the first few pages and I was hooked. Phyllis J. Burton uses the omniscient point of view to tell her story and does a superb job of setting the scenes and describing her characters. She is a master at crafting intrigue that tugs you along mercilessly.

I followed Katie Nicholson effortlessly, feeling for her, worrying about her and looking to encourage her along the way. When she loses who she believes is the love of her life, you want to tell her a better one will come around and her friends fill that wish: her employer Brian, her landlady Brenda, and her cousin Helen who introduces her to new possibilities. The intrigue with Epton Hall unfolds quickly and the deeper you get pulled into the old mansion and its secrets, the more you shiver and want to read what comes next.

Love Phyllis J Burton's voice. Gentle, persuasive, almost hypnotic her cadence and tone is pleasing and very convincing. I will definitely read other books by this author.

Phyllis J. Burton was born in Beckenham in Kent, England. She is married with three grown-up children and four grandchildren. She lives with her husband Jim and a large golden retriever dog called Bailey amongst the gentle hills of south-west Surrey. This is her first novel.

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't recommend, 16 July 2012

Paper Dreams
Paper Dreams by Phyllis J. Burton (Paperback - 1 Dec 2011)