5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling read
I picked up this book with some trepidation fearing a much-extended version of those descriptions of exotic travels abroad that one receives with some Christmas cards. Was I going to be bored, irritated or downright jealous? In fact I was none of these (well, perhaps a little of the last). It was a combination of travelogue, personal experience and reflection that was...
Published on 10 Mar. 2011 by Margaret C

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Long
I think this book was too big and too long. It is well written and whilst I am an avid reader and love reading I found this book a bit of a plod. It hasn't really excited me and I can't quite put my finger on why. It was overly focussed on nature and after 4 years on the road everywhere just blended into one. The culture and different people did not stand out for me from...
Published 18 days ago by Monica

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant account of an amazing journey. It's like being there!, 13 Aug. 2014
My daughter bought me this at a book signing. Glad she did. It's a great account of an epic journey by two people with a love of the great outdoors, motorcycling, travel and of people and their diverse cultures. It really comes to life. It's like being there. A must read for anyone. Forget Charlie Boorman and Ewan McGregor. This is a largely unsupported trip with hands on running repairs by Pat and Ness as they encounter incredible weather, road conditions and many other adversities. However they meet amazing people, see incredible wildlife and stunning scenery. Some of which is illustrated by their Photographs. There's also good maps to show their progress.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bearback, 3 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Bearback: The World Overland (Hardcover)
What a fabulous adventure that just made me want to give up work and start travelling today. A beautifully written book that was full of excitement, drama and even romance. I loved all the incidental historical, political and geographical information that really gave me a fuller picture of each country they travelled through. Laos and Costa Rica are now top of my visiting list. I would love to read a sequel with more about their further travels in Africa.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best travel books I have read, 17 Mar. 2015
Over the years I have travelled to many places round the world by motorcycle but still thoroughly enjoy reading about other travellers' experiences which go far beyond mine. I had the pleasure to meet Pat and Ness at the NEC show where I purchased their book. I enjoyed the pace of the book which gave much more detail and insight to their everyday experiences which is sometimes lacking in other travel books. It is a very good book for anyone planning a long trip as there is a lot of detail that is only ever gained from life experience and miles travelled!
I found the book refreshingly honest and an excellent read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 5 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Bearback: The World Overland (Hardcover)
Though the author tends to drag on about certain things and seems to have a love affair with Africa, I found the book to be most interesting and very well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars For all those motorcycle lovers who dream, 30 Aug. 2013
This was a present for my husband - who is NOT a book reader but a motorcycle enthusiast for over five decades. It is known as a very good book amongst bikers and will keep him occupied over the winter months when he cannot go out on two wheels. The book is about someone who gets up one day and follows his dream. I think all bikers have this dream but very few ever do it, hope my husband doesn't either and just sticks to reading this great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, well written, honest and such a fantastic read I was drawn to every word!, 4 Mar. 2015
Having read a few books about adventure motorcycle travel some have been good reads others not so but I would describe this one as compelling, heart warming, inspiring and so well written I was almost on the trip with them! The descriptions and accounts are very honest without being sensational for the sake of selling books.

Anyone with a slight wanderlust should read this book and there will then be no stopping you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book-couldn't recommend more highly, 19 Dec. 2012
S. Doe (Dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bearback: The World Overland (Hardcover)
I have a copy of this book and bought one for my brother in law and one for my dad.
It is a really well written book with amazing recall for detail on behalf of the author. It has been enjoyed by all of us:this book is captivating and thoroughly enjoyable and I couldn't recommend it more highly and is a wonderful record of an amazing journey shared and experienced by two obviously special people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Motorcycle Travel Book, 24 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Bearback: The World Overland (Hardcover)
I always enjoy a good travel book, and this exceeded all the expectations from the blurb. The passion of motorcycling is on every page, even the parts of the journey where the bike could not take or give any more.

There is plenty of detail in the areas that they travel to, so you have a good feel for the landscape and the people. There are one or two hairy moments, just as you would expect from travelling that far in that many countries, but they are normally welcomed with curiosity and friendship.

Interesting book, well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 8 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Bearback: The World Overland (Hardcover)
What a fantastic inspiring read ! This is a superbly written book that takes you to places we all dream off. If this book does not inspire you to dust off the bike and point the wheels at the horizon I don't know what will.

5.0 out of 5 stars stands apart, 23 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Bearback: The World Overland (Hardcover)
Brilliant. Initially daunted by the size of the book I was continually surprised that the story flowed so well between each adventure. extremely well written.

Bearback: The World Overland
Bearback: The World Overland by Dr. Pat Garrod (Hardcover - 9 Nov. 2010)
Used & New from: £9.13