5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read
Published on 28 April 2010 by J. Rick

1.0 out of 5 stars appalling rubbish!
I am absolutely amazed that this travesty of a 'novel' has had such good reviews. I can only imagine that the 'writer' has persuaded his friends and workmates to say nice things about it. That's the only explanation I can think of for such fawning reviews of such a horrible, badly-written, badly-edited 'book'.

Where do I begin? It's dreadful! It's very badly...
Published on 10 Jan 2012 by miffycat

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read, 28 April 2010
J. Rick (Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything Happens in August (Paperback)
This is everything a good book should be: well written, difficult to put down and it makes you want to keep reading to the end to find out what happens. This book is a must for anybody who works in the examination system, or just anybody interested to find out what happens to school exam papers in the summer. It has characters and situations everybody can relate to, the storylines are excellent, and of course it makes you laugh out loud. Overall, a very good book on the madness that is the education system.

4.0 out of 5 stars A stonkingly-accomplished first novel., 26 July 2010
This review is from: Everything Happens in August (Paperback)
I must admit to a certain conflict of interest here, as John Budden is an old teaching mucker of my father's. Dad had raved about the book, and, when he handed over the copy he'd bought me, described it as a "satirical novel reminiscent of early Evelyn Waugh".
"Can't possibly be", I thought, then was swiftly proved wrong, as I hooted with laughter reading it to and from work on the Tube each day. There is certainly something here that brings to mind "Decline and Fall" and the final chapters of "A Handful of Dust", and also a little of Tom Sharpe, as I think a previous reviewer has noted. But John also has that rare quality - a completely original voice and style of his own. And at his first attempt!
His wit is razor-sharp - the passage where a Richard Desmond-type character takes over at The Express had me wiping the tears from my eyes. And the plot is jolly clever, too, with an hilarious take on the education system and examining boards.
This book will naturally appeal to anyone in the teaching profession, but I defy anyone not to enjoy it and it's already doing the rounds of my friends.
The only bit I wasn't so keen on was the end - without giving too much of the plot away - as a journalist myself, I couldn't believe that any hack would have suppressed such a fantastic story! Still, that's probably just me...
John - I hope that this book gets all the success this deserves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done, John Budden!, 5 Jun 2010
This review is from: Everything Happens in August (Paperback)
A brilliant first novel by John Budden. I was given a copy yesterday and didn't put it down until I'd finished it! Very, very funny - laugh-out-loud-funny - with a serious message underneath about "Education x 3". Budden has crafted some very interesting characters, many of whom I feel I have known in the past. I'm looking forward to his next novel. Congratulations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting satire, 24 May 2010
S. Aliwell "P Aliwell" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything Happens in August (Paperback)
I loved this book. It is a hilarious satire on our education and political system in general and on examination boards in particular. You don't need to work in education, though, to enjoy the humour here. Most of us have endured 'touchy feely' training days, for example, although perhaps not quite so literally!

What I liked most about this book is that whilst it manages to deliver a scathing indictment on governmental involvement in the education system, it is also intensely uplifting. This is because the main characters, despite their foibles, are ultimately lovable and driven by honorable motivations. At the heart of this novel is an unshakable faith in individual human beings to rise above the situations and systems they find themselves within.

If you're looking for an easy read that is also thought-provoking, this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, funny, funny!, 8 May 2010
This review is from: Everything Happens in August (Paperback)
John Budden's first novel is an hilarious take on the world of education, political machinations and the general ineptitude of those who work behing the scenes (and in the shadows) for the 'benefit of the nation'! It is, what has always been referred to as, a genuine page-turner - not just because the chapters are nicely cropped but also as you are following the inter-connecting lives of four key characters and their foibles. It reminded me of early Tom Sharpe (Wiltesque if you like) but others have likened it to other narrative comic heroes of the modern literary age. 'Whatever!' - it's just great fun!!! I found myself stifling a laugh out loud moment or two whilst reading on the train and found that I arrived in London with a smile on my face for a change. We all know someone who resembles either Jefferson Tweedy, JPP Montgomery or one of the other hugely inventive characters, or parodies. You will enjoy seing them exposed. Great fun and I want some more!

5.0 out of 5 stars great english teacher, great writer, 23 Oct 2010
This review is from: Everything Happens in August (Paperback)
I bought this book as I had Mr Budden as my teacher and thought he was quite inspiring :) . I think its a bit different to the books I normally read and I haven't finished it yet but he's a legend and a good writer :):)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 27 May 2010
R. munro (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything Happens in August (Paperback)
I'd give it 6 stars if I could.

As well as being extremely funny and uplifting, `Everything Happens in August' is well-written (unlike several of the contemporary novels I have read recently) and consistently `laugh-out-loud' funny. I would recommend this book as essential to anyone who has worked in the education system (you WILL recognise so many of the characters) or has even just sat through a school assembly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good ealing comedy, 8 Aug 2010
This review is from: Everything Happens in August (Paperback)
A fantastic satire on our education system and government antics in general. I cannot add much that hasn't already been said other than that I wish ealing studios were still making comedies as this would be excellent scenario for the genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Summer Holiday Reading, 6 July 2010
E. Johnson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything Happens in August (Paperback)
How can you make a story about education witty and laugh out loud funny? It seems implausible, but with such hearty endorsements, I decided to give it a whirl. Disappointed I was not. I would recommend this story to the fans of Evelyn Waugh, especially those fond of humorous surnames.

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent novel!, 29 Jun 2010
This review is from: Everything Happens in August (Paperback)
I can recommend 'Everything Happens in August' as a great novel to pack for your summer holidays, as it is an easy read that packs a punch. A lovely, fluent style, lots of humour and some unexpected twists. I loved the characters (I swear I've met Montgomery)and John Budden's knowledge and understanding of our education system really shines through.

ARRAY(0xadc772b8)

Everything Happens in August
Everything Happens in August by John Budden (Paperback - 19 April 2010)
Used & New from: 0.01