5.0 out of 5 stars Shared wisdom
Published on 23 May 2010 by Tom Tobrook

2.0 out of 5 stars Paul King's Maslow's Pyramid
Superficial book trying to cover to many subject areas; lacks depth.

Also, the book lacks any obvious structure. I found myself wondering, where are we going with this? So what? How do I achieve that?

Finally, the title is somewhat misleading. I (wrongly) assumed the book would have many references to Maslow's work, yet there are only 2 pages in...
Published on 13 July 2009 by A. D. Meeker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Shared wisdom, 23 May 2010
This review is from: Climbing Maslow's Pyramid (Paperback)
For anyone remotely interested in effective life management or learning how to live a more fulfilling and joyful life, this book is great value and will not disappoint. The residual sentiment is having enjoyed some valuable and `shared wisdom'. Surely one cannot ask for more from this genre? The title might usefully have carried a bracketed suffix (In the New Millennium) because although it draws on Maslow for its philosophical base, the anecdotes and applications are all extremely relevant and contemporary. One of its foremost qualities is its simple readability and absence of pretence - but this does not dilute the insightful nature of the content. It is the sort of book that one can read in its entirety or return to. I am a longstanding occasional reader of `life' books in their widest context, without being an obsessive. I enjoy the purity of Maslow to more commercially driven offerings and this book embraced both ends of the scale without falling between the two which is why it was enjoyable. It is very well researched and peppered with thought provoking quotes variously insightful and humorous. You will not get better value (let alone shared wisdom)for 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 21 April 2014
I have never enjoyed reading a book as much as I enjoyed reading this one. The topics are so relevant to my life
and I did get caught up in the debate and questions presented by the author. His style is one of giving facts and offering opinions
but he never preaches. In the end, the whole book is about our ability to recognise that we have choices
and it is up to us to make our own.

5.0 out of 5 stars A THOUGHT PROVOKING GUIDE TO LIVING YOUR LIFE, 3 May 2012
WH Johnson - See all my reviews
Let me confess that when a friend who had already read this book persuaded me to read it I was not overly enthusiastic. Books about self-examination and self-development do not usually interest me. But out of loyalty to my friend's judgement more than anything else I consented to read it.

`Climbing Maslow's Pyramid' I discovered not to be the indigestible, jargon-laden offering of my expectation. It was accessible right from the first page. I knew what the author was planning for me, laying out his ground-plan from the start. And then he took me, step by step, through what I may call his theory of teaching ourselves how we may better understand ourselves and how we may better prepare for what really is the strange business of living our lives. This was a climb, no doubt about it, but we did it, the author and I, in quite easy stages, with time to reflect on what the message was and the degree to which I was assimilating it. There's a Socratic method at play here which made me question not just the author's thesis but my own progress as a human being.

Have I learned anything from the book? Well, first of all I realised that with a good guide I could work my way through complex text in areas of study which do not normally attract me. More important I am now genuinely giving some thought to my life. So far I have awarded myself three stars as a human being. I think this book deserves immeasurably more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking & Compulsive Page Turner, 6 Mar 2012
I have just finished reading and thoroughly enjoying, Climbing Maslow's Pyramid.

Choices are offered in this book for the planning and conduct of a happy, successful and fulfilling life. I wish that this book had been available when I was 20. In particular I thought that the author's views on modern sexual mores and fidelity are the best and most sensible I have ever read.

This book should be prescribed reading for every sixth former and undergraduate in the country.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a paradox, 29 Dec 2011
This remarkable book is also a paradox. It would be of most use to the young - and yet the problem is that to fully understand it, to be in sympathy with it and to benefit from it, requires that the reader has a reasonable level of life experience.

In "The History Boys" one character says "most of the stuff poetry is about hasn't happened to us yet". And of course the philosopher Soren Kierkegaard wrote, "Life must be understood backwards but lived forwards".

This book will appeal mostly to those people who are emotionally mature enough to understand the wisdom of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an amazing book, 20 Dec 2011
This is an amazing book and I have learnt a great deal from it.
Much like taking a degree course on how to live life. The whole book is an education in itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, 21 Nov 2011
"When I started reading this I could not stop. It is a great book and I wish they would have it in schools as part of the curriculum.
I will now give the book to a friend of mine that really needs it."

4.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Read, 18 Oct 2011
This review is from: Climbing Maslow's Pyramid (Paperback)
Whether we know it or not, all us are faced with and have to negotiate the life issues which Maslow stacked in pyramid form.

This book makes no claim to be an academic examination of Maslow or his theories but does address the subjects raised by Maslow.

It is one man's poignant review of how he faced the challenges which all human beings face. In doing so he raises many interesting questions and looks at useful options from which we the reader can choose

4.0 out of 5 stars Climbing Maslow's Pyramid, 7 Nov 2010
Miss Kathleen Ginn (London, N/A England) - See all my reviews
In a world where the media is 'king of influence' and shapes the minds and beliefs of many individuals - it is truly sad that with so much influence 'they' send so many people chasing after perfection instead of excellence. Given that everyone of us daily makes choices which result in consequences, some good, some not so good - the challenge with choosing to pursue perfection is that the consequence unfolds and is exhibited as low self-esteem. From magazines, newspapers and TV adverts we as consumers are left with an insatiable emptiness of 'I am not good enough' or 'I am unloveable as I am' or 'I am deficient in some way' unless I have this product, or this body, or this type of job or this much money.

Paul's book does cover many aspects of life, however, the major theme running through it is about building self worth. It uses the philosophy of Maslow's hierarchy of needs as the 'structure' to share a philosophy about loving what is and pursuing excellence in our relationships, our careers so that we experience growth, satisfaction and become responsible citizens. All of which are not possible when one glamourises perfection. Paul didn't set out to encourage others to chase perfection, instead what he has done is to encourage people to wake up and realise that we are each responsible for developing our self worth - especially as adults and regardless of our pasts, abilities or traditions.

For those who desire to grow their humanity, there is never enough view points from which to view the concept of self worth. The ancients did say "In order to understand another, walk a mile in their shoes'. Paul's book is a useful addition to the subject of self worth and developing self esteem within health, wealth and relationships and thankfully brings back some realism to the self help market.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful and Enlightening, 14 July 2010
As a student studying both psychology and sociology I found the revised book to be very useful. The second edition follows Maslow far more closely. At the same time the book has lost none of its personal honesty and real life application.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Climbing Maslow's Pyramid
Climbing Maslow's Pyramid by Paul W. King (Paperback - 7 May 2009)
5.86