Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's

on 26 October 2010
This is a beautifully crafted book addressing and exploring topics of research in developmental science and neuroscience in an extremely accessible way.
Latest research findings underlying current thinking on children's emotional development are covered and made easy to understand by the author's thoughtfulness and inspiring writing.
It is a book that can be read from cover to cover, and I personally would suggest that, or a book the informed reader can dip in to gain a better understanding of specific topics. As a professional working with children with emotional and behavioural difficulties I personally found very helpful to read the chapters on the consequences of earlier experiences as well as research on the adolescent brain. In many ways I think the author has done a lot of the hard work for the reader and I have on more that one occasion quoted the evidence presented in this book in my communications with other professionals!
Whilst reading it I never once felt out of my depth such is the clarity of the exposition. It is clearly a labour of love and the author's humanity and sensitivity permeates these pages. I thoroughly recommend this book
on 12 November 2010
Fluently written, interesting and accessible, Graham Music's thoroughly enjoyable book about Child Development - titled Nurturing Natures - brings together masses of extraordinary, amusing and thought provoking research so as to illuminate how babies grow up. This is a remarkably good book which both entertains, interests and enlightens. It has sections on attachment, brains, play, memory, gender, siblings, to name just a few. Music manages elegantly the task of weaving research findings into a larger story of how human beings develop from conception onwards.
I can absolutely recommend it to anyone who wants to discover more about this fascinating subject.
on 8 January 2013
I've found Nurturing Natures a must read for anyone who has a baby or young children. it's not meant only for professionals but for anyone who raises kids or is involved in child care in any capacity since it provides tons of information on child development but presented in a very accessible way; moreover, to me as a parent it's given answers to many questions that i've had about the psychological development and wellbeing of my baby and it also confirmed many hunches that I've had about the loving care of babies and young children.
on 24 October 2010
This is an absolute must for people who work with children and want to understand more about their development. The author has created a very accessible account that is steeped in contemporary research. I found myself questioning some long-held beliefs and assumptions about child development...highly recommended.
on 12 October 2013
Graham Music, an expert in the field of Child Development and Child, Adolescent and Family Therapy, has written a wonderfully absorbing, totally accessible, and inspiring book for anyone who has, works with , or is interested in children and how their minds develop. He manages to bring together the most recent research on child development and neuroscience in a gripping, informative narrative, which makes you reconsider what we think we know about children and ones own childhood. It is both full of fascinating facts and reviews of research and experimental psychology, and manages to convey it all with great warmth and humour but with a serious message for those involved in making social policy and deciding where to spend our money on families and children! A must read for anyone who cares about the future of childhood.
on 16 July 2013
I really like the way the book uses attachment theory and real- life examples to illustrate its points about how normal development can be very straightforward and humans naturally form strong bonds with those closest to them. I thought it was more for a general audience than, say, psychotherapists, counsellors and I would have preferred something a bit more theoretical. However, for that audience it's excellent and is written, as I understand it, to counter a view of child development taught in some psychotherapy trainings that focuses more on so-called negative emotions, such as hatred, envy and so on, at the expense of positive connections.
on 29 December 2013
An excellent book for anyone studying human growth and development and attachment. This book definetely needs to be on the purchese list for all Social work students, an excellent source of reference.
on 7 June 2011
This was recommended to me by a friend with young kids. Shame it wasn't around when my kids were young. Music seems to have struck the perfect balance between accessibility and detail, just as he balances the nature v nurture debate to perfection. There always seems to be the right amount of back up information and research for his points without ever leaving this novice reader behind. Almost made we want to have more kids to see if I could do better next time! Almost!
on 23 February 2014
Excellent book showing research and general information on the subject. Very interesting thoughts and comments, useful for anyone working with emotional behaviours.
on 17 February 2013
Fascinating book with loads of information that I was looking for. Very well presented with useful glossary. Really helpful for my studies.