5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book
I am researching Henry VIII and was told this was a good book to have on my desk and it hasn't disappointed.
Published 8 months ago by Zoet

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy assured style, but not for the beginner
I enjoyed this book. It is written in a relaxed, but very accomplished and assured style with a good level of detail, at least for the most part; but perhaps slightly more hurried towards the end.

Published on 1 Nov 2011 by Graham James

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy assured style, but not for the beginner, 1 Nov 2011
Graham James "graydjames" (Leicester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Henry VIII (Hardcover)

All historians will put their own spin on things and there is no shortage of spin here, in some cases being quite contrary to what I had learned hitherto (Henry's will and the shenanigins that followed it for example). Sometimes it felt like more than just spin with actual facts being at variance to what I had previously understood (Catherine Howard's sexual history for example).

There is a chapter on Ireland that struck me as having been an afterthought. Some of the detail is repeated later on and the repeated detail would have been enough on its own. This Irish chapter seemed quite out of place and could have been easily skipped.

It is not a book for someone taking their first steps into the period. A lot of knowledge is assumed. Characters and events often being referred to with no preamble or explanation as to who or what they were or when they occurred or why and how. This was fine, and I do not criticise it for that - but merely warn others that they could get a bit lost if they do not already know a good deal about Henry's reign.

I found three misprints which probably means there were a lot more. Is it that I am getting old or is my sense that books are not adequately proofed these days true?

I am just now starting on Loades's book on Mary and I am looking forward to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Henry VIII (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Henry VIII (Paperback)
No problems, excellent, bought it for my mother, she is happy.
No problems, excellent, bought it for my mother, she is happy.

Henry VIII
Henry VIII by David Loades (Hardcover - 18 Feb 2011)