4.0 out of 5 stars The thrilling conclusion to The Black Jewels Trilogy
Published on 28 July 2004 by Daniel Jolley

1.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe I read the whole thing
The Black Jewels Trilogy is THE most ridiculous series I ever read. The only reason I read all three was that I bought them all in one go. Anne Bishop seems to forget which characters are which and continually mixes them up with one another. In fact, are there any characters in this book who HAVEN'T been raped or sodomized? I feel this book should fall under the...
Published on 23 Jun 2001 by kaseyb@rocketmail.com

4.0 out of 5 stars The thrilling conclusion to The Black Jewels Trilogy, 28 July 2004
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
With Queen of the Darkness, Anne Bishop closes out one of the best dark fantasy trilogies ever written. The depth and richness of the worlds she created in this series must be experienced to be believed, especially with "good guys" including the likes of Saetan, High Lord of Hell, and his sons Daemon Sadi and Lucivar. Of course, Jaenelle Angelline is the center of attention as always; the young girl we first met in Daughter of the Blood, struggling to find friendship, acceptance, and guidance from those who - unlike her awful family - could recognize her for what she was, has grown up and now sits upon the Dark Throne of Ebon Askavi. She is surrounded by a coven of friends from neighboring realms and their males, protected by the most powerful warlords of the Blood, yet despite her own power as Witch - the almost mythological manifestation of true Blood power, dreams made flesh - sorrow continues to number all of her days. Daemon Sadi, her chosen Consort, has yet to return from the Twisted Kingdom of madness, many Kindred lives have been lost at the hands of the evildoers ruling the kingdom of Terreille, and a cataclysmic war looms on the horizon, a war Jaenelle knows will kill everyone she cares about.
I think the beginning of this novel threw me off stride a little bit, and I was never able to completely recover. As Queen of the Darkness opens, several years have passed since Daemon emerged from the Twisted Kingdom, yet he is nowhere to be found. When he is located, largely by luck or fate, and brought to the Hall alongside the likes of Wilhelmina, Jaenelle's sister, he remembers nothing of the cataclysmic events that closed out the first book in the trilogy. When Jaenelle returns, a definite rift exists between her and Daemon, and Jaenelle has little to do with a sister she once loved. The situation with Daemon becomes clear as the book nears its end (culminating in a very touching scene), yet I felt there was a strong disconnect between the characters. Later, when the evil plots of Hekatah the dark priestess and her hateful ally witch Dorothea must finally be dealt with once and for all, I didn't completely buy into the way things happened. Certainly, there were some surprises, and I could barely stand to see some of the things that took place actually happen, but things just didn't seem 100% right. The pivotal subterfuge around which Jaenelle's secret plans are put into motion seemed especially contrived ? it was as if everyone just decided one morning that they should look at a central character differently, and I never saw any justification for the types of doubts that arose.
Fans of the series will be thrilled to know that justice is finally done, and those who have hurt Jaenelle and the members of her Dark Court over the years get exactly what is due them. Sadly, however, some dear characters are also lost or maimed through acts of villainy and the vindictive lust for power. The Kindred, non-human creatures of the Blood whom we encountered in Heir to the Shadows, are woven into this concluding novel in a beautifully intricate fashion, making for a more complex but at the same time enriching reading experience. At the same time, secondary players in the drama, many of whom I had struggled to truly understand, also emerge in grand fashion as the trilogy approaches its climax.
Even if I wasn't 100% satisfied with this third and final novel, I have nothing but the highest of praise for Anne Bishop's literary genius and for The Black Jewels Trilogy as a whole. No fictional kingdom of dark fantasy has ever seemed so vivid and original, nor have characters as complex as the main actors in this story ever been seen before ? not by my eyes, anyway. The subject matter makes these books unsuited for young readers, but mature readers who appreciate originality and the word-weaving of literary magic will very likely find themselves deeply immersed in this world and come away echoing my final comment here: Anne Bishop is the Queen of Dark Fantasy.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Black Jewels Trilogy" book 3, 11 Nov 2007
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
"Queen of the Darkness" is the stunning conclusion to Anne Bishop's "Black Jewels" trilogy; an epic voyage as young witch Jaenelle matures into her incredible power and establishes her court; an act required to legitimately halt the invasion and slaughter of the non human residents of Kaeleer.

Her enemies Heketah and Dorothea strive to destroy the threat Jaenelle poses to their dream of complete power; stirring up a war between the realms of Terrielle and Kaeleer. A gifted Black Widow able to untangle future events, Jaenelle foresees the death of many friends should Terreille and Kaeleel go to war; however another future exists. Instead the war between Terreille and the Queen of Darkness will save many lives; yet many still will mourn the cost; the life of Jaenelle, Kaeleel's Heart. Whilst Saetan with Lucivar and his family suffer in the cruel clutches of Heketah and Dorothea, and Daemon plays his most vicious game yet (and it's truly gruesome well proving how apt his pseudonym "The Sadist" is) to buy time for his beloved Jaenelle, for the first time she gathers the full scope of her power and prepares to purge all those of the Blood tainted by corruption.

With Daemon finally free from the Twisted Kingdom and reunited with Jaenelle, Saetan and Lucivar, he figures far more significantly than in book two "Heir to the Shadows". Again AB proves her talent; as the storyline grips the reader and events occur which could break a heart. Daemon's wooing of Jaenelle is tender enough for anyone looking for any hint of romance; whilst the dark, savage sides of each character is explicitly revealed as each act out of revenge or necessity. AB's characters are so amazingly drawn that at times I actually found myself wishing I too could possibly risk a dance with the Sadist, perhaps pick up an Eyrian warblade and try to match the skills of Lucivar or even sneak unnoticed (as if) into the High Lord of Hell's study to prove whether Saetan's rumoured fits of hysterical laughter resulting from the exploits of Jaenelle and her gifted friends (both human and animal) are true or not.

Even after reading this series for the fifth time now, it still makes my heart beat faster and tears fall in places. I've said it before and will say it again The Black Jewels Trilogy should be compulsory reading (just not for a younger audience). If Peter Jackson is looking for another fantasy epic project, he should certainly be directed towards the marvellous Anne Bishop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Jewels book 3, 28 Aug 2014
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels Trilogy) (Paperback)
I have been absolutely addicted to Anne Bishop's Black Jewels trilogy ever since I discovered Daughter of the Blood and after the huge changes at the end of Heir to the Shadows I couldn't wait to start Queen of the Darkness. This book was everything I'd hoped it would be and then some and I didn't want to put it down for a second. I can't believe how much I've come to love these characters and I'm was so incredibly invested in their stories that I desperately needed to know what would happen to them all. I'm going to assume that if you're reading this review you've already read the last two books so although this review will be spoiler free for Queen of Darkness I will be discussing events in previous stories. If you don't want to see these spoilers then look away now but before you go I will tell you that the Black Jewels trilogy is one of the most complex, compelling and utterly addictive fantasy series that I've discovered in a long time and if it's one you haven't started yet then you're seriously missing out!

Still with me? Well, in that case I'm going to assume you're already an Anne Bishop fan and high five you for loving the series as much as I do! At the end of Heir to the Shadows we saw Jaenelle claim her territory so that she was able to protect her Kindred friends. Jaenelle now has a court of powerful Queens, Warlords and Kindred who would all do anything for her but she takes that responsibility seriously and will protect them with her life if needed. I have loved seeing Jaenelle grow into her power, she really is an incredible character and after so much suffering in her life she has now become a strong and confident young woman. I actually feel very proud of everything that she has achieved and I couldn't wait to see her figure out how to deal with the enemies who have done everything they could to destroy her.

One of the things that I was most excited about was seeing her reunited with Daemon. I missed his presence in the last book but I understood why that distance was needed, he has suffered enough though and it was time to see both of them find a way to happiness. Daemon has finally found his way out of the Twisted Kingdom and taken his place at Jaenelle's side as her consort but it is a role in name only as the two of them struggle to communicate their wants and needs to each other. I really enjoyed seeing someone as experienced as Daemon so unsure of himself, he loves Jaenelle so much and is terrified of putting pressure on her but as inexperienced as she is she has no idea how to make the first move. It was great seeing Saetan, Lucivar and the others help the two of them work through things and I loved seeing them all spending time together building or rebuilding their bonds. Things between Saetan and his sons are incredibly complicated but we get to see them slowly get to know each other and learn to trust themselves.

Jaenelle is the most powerful Witch born in thousands of years and she can feel the evil that is trying to destroy all three realms. She knows what has to be done to stop it and she knows that she will pay the ultimate price but that is something she is willing to do to protect the people she loves. Her friends aren't quite so willing to let her bear that cost though and they are determined to find another way. The love that all of these characters have for her is absolutely heart warming but I've also thoroughly enjoyed seeing the friendships build between them as individuals and getting to see some of my favourite characters find love and happiness in their own right.

I don't want to say too much more about what happens in this book because I think it's much better if you can enjoy the journey for yourself. I will say that I absolutely loved every minute of this book. This entire series has taken me on an emotional roller coaster, one where I've both laughed and cried. There have been times when I was so mad that my blood was boiling and others where I felt emotionally drained and exhausted but I have also fallen in love and met some of the most fantastic characters - ones who will stay with me for years to come. I can absolutely guarantee that this is a series I'll return to again in the future and I'm glad that I've still got some short stories set in the same world to devour before the journey is completely over. I may be a fairly new fan of Anne Bishop but I'm now a die-hard one and I can't wait to discover more of her books!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Black Jewels trilogy concludes with a bang., 16 July 2014
Queen of the Darkness by Anne Bishop

A review by Jeanette Greaves

Five months ago, I picked up the first book of the Black Jewels trilogy. It had been a while since I'd been invited into a new fantasy world, and I had simultaneous feelings of excitement and trepidation. A trilogy is a fairly big commitment, even to a voracious reader, and I wondered if it was going to be good, if it was going to capture my attention and make me hunger for the next books in the series. Well, to be honest, it took a while. The first book introduced a world and a society of deep complexity, and after a few chapters in which I struggled to make sense of the interlocking ranks, jewels, states of being and dimensions involved, I put it aside. The next day, I realised that I'd been caught up by the plot, and I wanted to know what happened next.

Three books later, I'm so glad that I persevered after the first few chapters. All the complexity serves to provide a rich background for a simple story – the battle between good and evil. In this case, good is represented by the need to serve the land, and the decent people of the land. Evil is represented by greed and the lust for power.

The power for good is Jaenelle, an immensely powerful Queen. From her beginnings as an unloved and abused 'difficult' child, through a dark period as a survivor of a terrible crime, we have seen her grow under the love and protection of powerful men, and the friendship of her peers. She has learned to extend her own power and protection over the Realm of Kaeleer.

Throughout this, the forces ranged against her in her home Realm of Terrieille fail to recognise her power, seeing her as a pawn in the hands of the men who are, in fact, pledged to her service. They want a war, a war that will discredit Jaenelle's new family, and deliver her back into bondage in Terrieille.

Jaenelle understands that such a war will destroy everything that she loves. The challenge arises at a time when she is finally healed of her psychic wounds, reunited with her fated lover, the beloved Daemon, and outwardly happy and settled in her life. The pressure is on for her to use her power to destroy her enemies, but she knows that the only way to win is to make a sacrifice.

I've found the Black Jewels trilogy to be a thoroughly enjoyable read. It wasn't an easy read at first, and in the first few chapters it was tempting to dismiss the characters as stereotypes, and many of the scenes as naked wish fulfillment, but I was drawn in, the ambitiously large cast of characters became real and sympathetic, and in the end I found the story irresistable.

4.0 out of 5 stars a fitting climax to a wonderful trilogy, 11 Dec 2007
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
If you've started this trilogy then I defy anyone not to finish. Bishop has created a dark, violent and enthralling world that is yet filled with love, trust, humour and hope. After the quiet second part of the trilogy, this begins slowly with the rehabilitation of Daemon and has far more of a romance element than the other two books. However the stakes are raised again with the slaughter of the unicorns and Kaeleer is brought to the brink of a war which could decimate the Blood. The sequence at the end is as brilliant and nail-biting as anything in the first book, and brings back the dark edge to the characters that had become somewhat dimmed in the second book. The ending is also a logical one given everythign that has happened before, and so is emotionally satisfying.
My only quibble is that Bishop doesn't quite manage the transition from Daemon the Sadist to Daemon the devoted lover and he becomes a wee bit too tearful and devoted, but that's a small complaint and possibly a personal one. Altogether an enthralling trilogy that deserves to be far more widely known than it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book was great, 23 Nov 2010
I only want to say a couple of things about this story. First, I loved Daemon. I loved him because of the depth of his love and his purpose in life. If one wants a romantic relationship, it's that type of love you strive for. Also, even though I knew what the ending was going to be like, I still cried along with the heartbreak Daemon felt. Anne Bishop portrayed this whole story, but especially Daemon's emotions, so well that I couldn't help BUT be sucked into it.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best!, 23 Sep 2003
By A Customer
this book is ten times better than the other two! very very very well written. You can tell that Anne Bishop really enjoyed writting this one. The ending is very good. You almost wish Anne Bishop wrote another book to tell about what happens next. If you've started reading Daughter of the Blood and Heir to the shadows, you'll love this book just as much if not more. If you haven't started reading this series...it is well worth your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing finale, 20 Jun 2000
By A Customer
A book that had me laughing and crying with the sheer force of it's prose. An amazing series that screams passion but has the power to make you think. All the ends are neatly tied in this final twisting tale. Oh why did it have to end? A series to treasure for life!

4.0 out of 5 stars Any more?, 31 Mar 2001
I did love this series, the first book in particular was really powerful - couldn't believe it was a first novel. I wonder though if the author was forced to cut parts of her plot out - brilliant though this is, there were several things that while explained, should have had more time spent on them, in particular Lucivar's relationship. However, her writing is excellent, and you can't help but be carried away by this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 1 July 2014
An unusual book supernatural but clever, keeps you guessing and worth reading, part of a trilogy which once started you have to finish, i would recommend this book.

Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels Trilogy)
Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels Trilogy) by Anne Bishop (Paperback - 3 July 2014)